STAR TREK 2d20

New to FGU and PF, some help please

I am going to start GM soon, and still evaluating whether to go with PF1 or PF2, and FGU or Foundry. My preference is for PF1, for which FGU seems to be the best option, however I haven't taken a final decision yet. I am trying to find my way around here and I have many questions. If replying don't feel like you have to answer all of them, even just one or two would be greatly helpful.

1. What is automatised and what not? It looks like class features and feats are mostly not, and neither is flanking, is that right? What else?

2. For things which are not automated, are there modules which do automate those you can recommend? (please only recommend up to 5)

3. Besides automation, any other modules you would recommend for quality of life purposes? (just your top three please)

Btw I know there is a sticky for modules, but there are a lot of links without any descriptions so it is very time consuming to figure out which ones to try first.

4. It is steam sale time. Aside from the core rules and specific adventures, which of the other source book/campaign setting/player companion paid fg modules are useful? By useful I mean implementing rules/adding software features or functionality/speeding up preparation. The equivalent of a pdf accessible in game is not considered useful. Are the player or GM bundles worth it or most books would never see any use (I consider a module useful only if it adds software functionality)?

5. Any reference on how to create and use effects (the kind of thing used e.g. to implement feats)?

6. Any other general advice and tips on getting started would be great! I've watched all Zacchaeus basic tutorials and those were very useful.

I can not speak to PF2, But I have played FGU 5e, 2e & PF1e. Loving PF1e the most.

Quote Originally Posted by snupy View Post
    I am going to start GM soon, and still evaluating whether to go with PF1 or PF2, and FGU or Foundry. My preference is for PF1, for which FGU seems to be the best option, however I haven't taken a final decision yet. I am trying to find my way around here and I have many questions. If replying don't feel like you have to answer all of them, even just one or two would be greatly helpful.

1. What is automatised and what not? It looks like class features and feats are mostly not, and neither is flanking, is that right? What else?

For the most part, not much is automated in PF1e UNLESS you use extensions (See my signature for the extensions and mods I use and those IMO that are almost required)

2. For things which are not automated, are there modules which do automate those you can recommend? (please only recommend up to 5)

See my answer above... but 5? umm I use 40+ so umm... several things from BMOS and Kelrugem are practically required, see my mod list and I marked about 20 mods as MUST. OH and there are 7 Library Modules that I would also mark as MUST by Dllewell and Blahness98

3. Besides automation, any other modules you would recommend for quality of life purposes? (just your top three please)

see above

Btw I know there is a sticky for modules, but there are a lot of links without any descriptions so it is very time consuming to figure out which ones to try first.

4. It is steam sale time. Aside from the core rules and specific adventures, which of the other source book/campaign setting/player companion paid fg modules are useful? By useful I mean implementing rules/adding software features or functionality/speeding up preparation. The equivalent of a pdf accessible in game is not considered useful. Are the player or GM bundles worth it or most books would never see any use (I consider a module useful only if it adds software functionality)?

Not sure... I own too many as it is, BUT keep a watch on HumbleBundle.com, Paizo stuff comes up there quite a bit at HUGE discounts and Smiteworks gives big discounts on Paizo PDFs you own basically subtracting regular PDF cost from the FGU price (via account syncing). I have been fortunate enough to catch about 5 bundles to date and I can't fathom how much I have saved (or maybe how much I have spent that I wouldn't have if it wasn't such a deal, LOL)

5. Any reference on how to create and use effects (the kind of thing used e.g. to implement feats)?

Check my work in progress spreadsheet in my signature. Or If you want hit me up on discord and I can try to set up a screen sharing session or even have you log into my testing server and we can chat. I can also give copies of several of my uber powered characters that have a lot of automation on them you can play around with. OH and of course there is this Wonderful extension, just make sure to grab the ruleset extension for it as well (you may notice I no longer load this and that is because I rarely need it anymore BUT I highly recommend it for people just starting)

6. Any other general advice and tips on getting started would be great! I've watched all Zacchaeus basic tutorials and those were very useful.

keep asking and researching. be patient. the PF1e group is amazing and all the "Needed" extensions are free (but feel free to donate). I did 5E and spent a good deal on automation (not knocking that, they were worth it) but in PF1e I really think you can easily get away with the free ones only, but a lot of the paid ones are quite nice as well.
    Hope that helps. Please remember that MANY of the community coders do this for free. be kind. be patient. If you want the feel of TTRPG, then FG is the place to be IMO. I spent 6 months researching Roll20, Foundry, FGU and a few others in 2019, and I have not looked back.
    Last edited by Morenu; July 3rd, 2023 at 12:09.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Thanks a lot Morenu!

I've installed a few of the extensions you recommend and played around, and I've got a few follow up questions. But first, yes it would be great if you could send me your uber-power character sheets, thanks. I may also take up your kind offer for a screen sharing at some point, maybe once I am bit more experienced.

- Is there a simple way to save changes I make so that I do not need to do them every time I create a new character or campaign? I am thinking of things like adding a flanking action to all character sheets (I used the module PFRPG Action Library for that), or creating a single ammunition object rather than having a stack of 20, etc?

- I have seen your PF1 effect list spreadsheet which is great, but I am afraid I am at a more beginner stage. Are the basic uses and syntax on how to create effects documented anywhere or the only way to get it is to look at examples?
    EDIT: never mind the second point, I've found something in the wiki and started to figure it out.
    Last edited by snupy; July 5th, 2023 at 00:19.

Hi there! I also started GMing a while ago so I might have some input that could be useful for you

1. As you have noticed and Morenu pointed out, not much is automated out of the box (though it can be through effects or extensions).

2. For purposes of automation, I recommend PFRPG spellbook extended (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...lbook-Extended). It contains all spells with effects put in! I also like Upgrade NPC actions, which uses the aforemention extended spellbook to give NPCs in the combat tracker more detailed actions and spells https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/35/view. There are many more useful extensions and modules but a lot of them are somewhat specific to the needs of your campaign (i.e you probably don't need the aura extension unless you are playing a paladin or something else with an aura).

3&5. If you are looking for an easy way to make effects, I also recommend the effect builder (and accompanying pfrpg plugin) by soxmax https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/457/view. Learning to make the effects can be a big task, but the effect builder really helps by handling the syntax aspect for you. You can just make the effect with drop down menus. For quality of life, Advanced item actions is also good for giving you actions and effects when you equip potions, scrolls and the like https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/48/view.

4. The advanced bestiary https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=GRR2901e is the most "added functionality" paid product that I can think of. It gives you a way to add templates to NPCs and to create your own templates (though depending on what kind of template you want, this could also be done with effects). A lot of the "more data" type modules (feat/class lists, monster bestiaries etc) you can get for free from the community modules page.

Some of the extensions I have suggested also require other extensionsto support them. If that is the case, the needed extensions should be listed on the module/extension page.
    That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, let me know

Edit: I forgot to mention Drain and Permanent Bonuses (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/49/view) and Live Hitpoints (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/19/view). If/when your party starts dealing with negative levels, abilty damage and similar effects on the regular, these extensions can be quite helpful.
    Last edited by Navigat0r; July 9th, 2023 at 17:10.

Hit me up on discord and i will try to help some. I am not an expert in PF1e or with the coding effects. But i have learned a lot over the last year or so.
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

I might be missing something but where can I add the effects to. I see where I can add spell classes and weapons but not effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunrsm8 View Post
    I might be missing something but where can I add the effects to. I see where I can add spell classes and weapons but not effects.
    Are you running any extensions? And as i have said to others, feel free to hit me up on discord (see my signature) and tell me you want help with FG. I can screen share or even have you join on my build server

Manually create a spell class, call it something like Abilities, add at least a 1 to Level 1 in the header (so the Level 1 title appears) and then right-click to add "spells" - which are really placeholders for Effects and other actions.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Effects are usually part of the spells, so add spells to your spell class and add an effect button there (with the right-click radial menu on the spell) Thinking of spell classes as action classes, you can also create a spell class just for item actions and so on

EDIT: Ah, Trenloe was a bit faster, hehe

Some extension, already mentioned here probably, also allows to attach effects to items feats and so on, so that one does not have to add all effects in the action tab. But be a bit careful that you are not overdoing it at the beginning, otherwise FG quickly feels too much at the beginning

Thanks a lot Navigat0r that was very useful! I ended up not buying anything on the summer sale, having bought a couple of manuals before I was thrilled by the automation provided, as you said, out of the box, community made ones seems to be better and free. I am still going to buy adventure modules though are those are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigat0r View Post
    Hi there! I also started GMing a while ago so I might have some input that could be useful for you

1. As you have noticed and Morenu pointed out, not much is automated out of the box (though it can be through effects or extensions).

2. For purposes of automation, I recommend PFRPG spellbook extended (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...lbook-Extended). It contains all spells with effects put in! I also like Upgrade NPC actions, which uses the aforemention extended spellbook to give NPCs in the combat tracker more detailed actions and spells https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/35/view. There are many more useful extensions and modules but a lot of them are somewhat specific to the needs of your campaign (i.e you probably don't need the aura extension unless you are playing a paladin or something else with an aura).

3&5. If you are looking for an easy way to make effects, I also recommend the effect builder (and accompanying pfrpg plugin) by soxmax https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/457/view. Learning to make the effects can be a big task, but the effect builder really helps by handling the syntax aspect for you. You can just make the effect with drop down menus. For quality of life, Advanced item actions is also good for giving you actions and effects when you equip potions, scrolls and the like https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/48/view.

4. The advanced bestiary https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...hp?id=GRR2901e is the most "added functionality" paid product that I can think of. It gives you a way to add templates to NPCs and to create your own templates (though depending on what kind of template you want, this could also be done with effects). A lot of the "more data" type modules (feat/class lists, monster bestiaries etc) you can get for free from the community modules page.

Some of the extensions I have suggested also require other extensionsto support them. If that is the case, the needed extensions should be listed on the module/extension page.
    That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, let me know

Edit: I forgot to mention Drain and Permanent Bonuses (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/49/view) and Live Hitpoints (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/19/view). If/when your party starts dealing with negative levels, abilty damage and similar effects on the regular, these extensions can be quite helpful.

Thread Information