5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Opening Asset > Images folder crashes FGU

Hello,

Any assistance would be appreciated. Some background...

FGU version: 4.4.2
    Map-making program: Dungeon Alchemist (exported as a .jpg/.xml bundle)

Prior to the 4.4 update, I exported Dungeon Alchemist map files to my desktop campaign folder, and then used Campaign > Images > Upload in FGU to bring those files into the campaign. After 4.4 went live, I noticed that the Upload button no longer existed under Campaign > Images, so I decided to export a Dungeon Alchemist map directly to the FGU campaigns > images folder.

After exporting one DA map file this way, I discovered that whenever I tried to open the Assets > Images folder in FGU, it crashed the app. Specifically, the files in the folder will not show in the in-app GUI window, and the app slows down to the point of unusuability. This only happens when opening Assets > Images. Assets > Tokens and Assets > Portraits do not crash the app.

In order, here is what I have done in my attempts to fix the issue...

1. Logged out of FGU and back in.

2. Rebooted PC.

3. Deleted the Dungeon Alchemist files from the campaign > images folder.

4. Renamed the campaign folder and copy/pasted my backup campaign folder into * > SmiteWorks > Fantasy Grounds > campaigns. (I don't know if it matters, but my last campaign folder backup was pre-patch 4.4.)

5. Uninstalled and reinstalled Fantasy Grounds Unity.

Despite these efforts, the problem persists. I am posting because I have reached the limit of my computer expertise. Any advice is welcome.

One final data point: Only this campaign's Images folder crashes FGU. Other campaign Images folders open normally and do not crash the app.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ilvander; July 1st, 2023 at 00:16.

The import images button is now a small blue arrow at the bottom of the images window rather than a big button at the top. I suspect that what's happening is that the format of the DA map is causing an issue.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Wow, I completely missed that. Thanks.

I agree that it has to be something with DA specifically. What's baffling is that the problem persists even after deleting that file.

Blog Entries
    Can you attach the DA file that caused the issue? Or, if that file isn't available, another DA file would be helpful. Thanks.

Yes, thanks. Here you go. So I was wrong - it's not a .dam file, which is how DA saves unexported files. When you export to FGU it converts them to a hi res .jpg and an .xml file. The original .jpg is too large to attach, but I have attached a smaller .jpg of the map and the map's .xml file below. I believe it contains line-of-sight and lighting information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Based on the metadata in the XML file, it looks like the original Jpeg was 2850 x 11850. That's a very large image. It's likely that FGU stalled while generating a thumbnail for the 33 megapixel image. That doesn't explain why deleting the file did not resolve the situation, but I would suggest exporting smaller images from Dungeon Alchemist in the future. The grid size for the image was set to 300x300. I'd recommend 100x100 which would result in a more manageable 950 x 3950 image.

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll try deleting all the DA XML files and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, I guess it's somehow permanently borked? In that case, I'll have to make a new campaign in FGU, I suppose.

I'm having this problem as well - I downloaded the Keep on the Borderlands map from the Steam Workshop, and I figured, hey, it's enormous but I have an 8 gig video card, might as well try it out, and now every time I create a new campaign, clicking on campagin image assets will crash Fantasy Grounds.

I've tried all the steps above to no avail, and now I can't even create a new game to fix the problem!

Help!
    - ToKo

ULTIMATE LISCENSE HOLDER, BABY!
    "Roll20 ruined my first Ambush, and I never looked back..."
    Dean - East Texas University - Higher Education Campaign - (SWADE Ruleset) In Progress

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post
    I'm having this problem as well - I downloaded the Keep on the Borderlands map from the Steam Workshop, and I figured, hey, it's enormous but I have an 8 gig video card, might as well try it out, and now every time I create a new campaign, clicking on campagin image assets will crash Fantasy Grounds.

I've tried all the steps above to no avail, and now I can't even create a new game to fix the problem!

Help!
    Open the FG Data Folder and remove the map from where ever you loaded it in FG. You can get to the FG Data Folder from the FG Launcher screen, it is the folder icon in the top left corner.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you plan to still use a huge image and you already have a grid baked into your map, and try to scale it down or reduce the size of the image, it could make the grid distorted and out of "squareness". Otherwise, scale the map mathematically to help maintain the proper aspect ratio.
    Best of luck whatever you end up doing!

Cheers,
    Laerun
    Last edited by Laerun; February 11th, 2024 at 19:27.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Thread Information