5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

License issue happy middle ground?

I guess this technically isnt a house of healing issue but it hurts anyways. I have never thought that punishing your loyal, legal, paying customers is a good way to avoid piracy, though I also understand the need to take reasonable precautions.
    I am completely aware that I can create a localhost session while running my game/server.

However as I work to get sound into my game and make sure it is working properly there is a VAST difference between playing a sound locally and having my laptop in the other room, connected to my game as if I were one of my players, and seeing (hearing) that my sound worked! And yes, I also know I can uninstall my ultimate version on my laptop and put in a freebie one. But given that I just ran a game from my laptop while travelling and intend to do so again it really doesnt make sense.

And OFC what I get when I try to connect is license issue and then cannot connect. Is there a simple way that I can use my laptop to behave like a player over the Internet and use its legal Utlimate license to connect to my legal desktop ultimate license which is the same?

Barring that....I ALSO have an ultimate FGC license. Can I somehow use the FGC license in FGU for testing purposes, especially since I never intend to run FGC again?
    C'mon guys. I have bought THREE Ultimate licenses over the years and just want to be able to play from any platform LEGALLY and yet do more stringent tests than running another session locally.
    Can we find a happy middle ground...PLEASE??

Thank you for your attention to this even if it is not immediatly resolvable.

There are a couple of ways you could do this. The simplest but most intensive hard drive wise on your laptop is to have two FGU installs. One like you do for your already for your Ultimate license and another that is just a demo license to connect to your main computer as a player when you are at home. Then just start the one you need.

If you are short on space on your laptop then you can just remove and add the license key so one client is installed but the install sometimes acts like a host or player depending on whether you have a license key set.

Unfortunately, you can *not* use a FG classic key for a FGU key or vice versa.
    Last edited by Griogre; June 19th, 2023 at 18:48. Reason: Typos....

Blog Entries
    Like Griogre says, just remove your license key from your laptop. You don't need to uninstall. You can even stay logged in with the same account on both. I think you need to run an update, but not sure. But the update won't do much since you will still be logged in as your user account.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Save your key in a text file on your desktop for less human error entering it also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    There are a couple of ways you could do this. The simplest but most intensive hard drive wise on your laptop is to have two FGU installs. One like you do for your already for your Ultimate license and another that is just a demo license to connect to your main computer as a player when you are at home. Then just start the one you need.
    This doesnt work without some additional REGEDIT changes. Datawise they can both point to the same file location so disk space increase is trivial.

If you are short on space on your laptop then you can just remove and add the license key so one client is installed but the install sometimes acts like a host or player depending on whether you have a license key set.
    This is the better way to do it. It will take 90 seconds to change each time.

Thread Information