FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    It’s because the resolution of the image (width times height in pixels) has a direct proportional impact on features, since they are tied to the map pixel dimensions.

Use of images beyond the recommended size is obviously not recommended so that you can avoid having to worry about those considerations. Any maps beyond the recommended size are at your own risk.

Regards,
    JPG

Recommended sizes are posted here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...uct+Guidelines

There's a reason they're recommended, as this is the result of hard experience across a wide range of testing and support cases. Sure, the odd person might get away with it but the recommendations are there for a reason. Sure, try images a bit larger than this - but if you, and your players, have performance issue you may need to reel it back in a bit...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    It’s because the resolution of the image (width times height in pixels) has a direct proportional impact on features, since they are tied to the map pixel dimensions.

Use of images beyond the recommended size is obviously not recommended so that you can avoid having to worry about those considerations. Any maps beyond the recommended size are at your own risk.

Regards,
    JPG
    Regarding the first part of your post, it makes sense to me to code the maximum range that each token is permitted to calculate be limited to 150'? 200'? (I realize that a grid can dramatically alter the scale of this, but the fundamental point remains). Or maybe add a sliding scale option that the DM can turn off/on or adjust the maximum range to suit the needs of situation. It doesn't make any sense, at all, for tokens to calculate their position relative to every other token/asset/light/occlusion on the entire image(map).

Regarding the second part of your comment. lol....you, yourself have recently stated that you don't even know what the "recommended image size" should be anymore.

What I stated was that animated maps change the calculation for overall image size and that we need to figure that out. However, I did clarify in that same post that image resolution should still be the same as the recommended versions, and that overall image size for static images should remain the same. Also, I clarified that the overhead of network transfer times holds for larger images, regardless of whether they are animated or static.

Regarding your first point, the information for LoS/FoW/lighting/etc. has to be calculated to map to the pixel dimensions of the map; because that is how GPUs draw images and any modifications that we do to change the display has to be done on a pixel by pixel basis to match. (i.e. shaders)

Regards,
    JPG

So I created a small map in Dungeon Alchemist and tried a few different settings to see what did what.

First, the original file is 95.5 MB with 8700*6600

I played around with the size using 2 different settings, 2160p and 1080p
    Then I tried 3 different CQ (Constant Quality in the video tab) settings, 4, 22 and 32.
    The higher the number, the worse the quality.

Handbrake comparison-Fantasy Grounds.jpg
    You can see the differences in the screenshot. The screenshot is from a dual 2160p monitor setup, 4 of the samples are on 1 monitor, the other 2 on the other.

I can see a big difference between 2160p and 1080p but not much difference between the various CQ settings.
    I am zoomed in very far though. Zoomed out to see half the map in one big window I don't see much difference between 1080p and 2160p at all.

I would love to upload the maps so you can see for your self but this is where it gets interesting, the file sizes!

95.5 MB - Original DA map
    164.5 MB - 2160p / CQ 04
    45.2 MB - 2160p / CQ 22
    26.5 MB - 2160p / CQ 32
    45.2 MB - 1080p / CQ 04
    10.8 MB - 1080p / CQ 22
    7.5 MB - 1080p / CQ 32

I hope this helps.

BTW, the CQ has to be between 4 and 32 otherwise you get an error.
    Last edited by Farnaby; June 20th, 2023 at 15:28. Reason: Changed GB to MB
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Quote Originally Posted by Farnaby View Post
    So I created a small map in Dungeon Alchemist and tried a few different settings to see what did what.

First, the original file is 95.5 GB with 8700*6600

I played around with the size using 2 different settings, 2160p and 1080p
    Then I tried 3 different CQ (Constant Quality in the video tab) settings, 4, 22 and 32.
    The higher the number, the worse the quality.

Handbrake comparison-Fantasy Grounds.jpg
    You can see the differences in the screenshot. The screenshot is from a dual 2160p monitor setup, 4 of the samples are on 1 monitor, the other 2 on the other.

I can see a big difference between 2160p and 1080p but not much difference between the various CQ settings.
    I am zoomed in very far though. Zoomed out to see half the map in one big window I don't see much difference between 1080p and 2160p at all.

I would love to upload the maps so you can see for your self but this is where it gets interesting, the file sizes!

95.5 GB - Original DA map
    164.5 GB - 2160p / CQ 04
    45.2 GB - 2160p / CQ 22
    26.5 GB - 2160p / CQ 32
    45.2 GB - 1080p / CQ 04
    10.8 GB - 1080p / CQ 22
    7.5 GB - 1080p / CQ 32

I hope this helps.

BTW, the CQ has to be between 4 and 32 otherwise you get an error.
    Wait, GB? Did you mean to put MB on those? I'd be hard pressed to make a 30 second video that approached 100 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
    Wait, GB? Did you mean to put MB on those? I'd be hard pressed to make a 30 second video that approached 100 GB.
    :facepalm: Thanks for that, I've changed the post.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Quote Originally Posted by Farnaby View Post
    That's expected as 2160p has 4 times the pixels of 1080p - these are 4K and Full HD in TV terms. But if you zoom out so that the 1080p image matches pixel-for-pixel (or close to it) on your screen and match the 4K image to the same FG image window size, then you won't see much (any) difference as they're displaying the same number of pixels - the 1080p image is displaying all its pixels, but the 4K image is only showing 1080p worth of its pixels.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Love the guide and appreciate it.

Is there a way to preserve LOS/lighting from Dungeon Alchemist with the webm files? Because of the resolution changes/conversion, the XML is way off. I know I can add it back manually, but it adds a ton of time to prep.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

From Dungeon Alchemist Discord:

Aerynus - Lead Developer — 08/08/2023 10:58 AM
    support for FGU export with VP8 will be available in the upcoming update! 
    And Holy CRAP!:

Our next update, "Treasury", will release on August 30th.

It will feature 600+ new objects and tons of new features, included the long-awaited Custom Model Importer, which allows everyone to share and download 3D models on the Steam Workshop!
    My First Mod PFRPG - Feats Extended, focusing on PF1e Feats and Racial Traits automation. It is open to community assistance. Here is the forum Link.

40+ PF1e Extensions & Modules I use, with links.

PF1E Coding Effects - Spreadsheet

Discord: Morenu

Thread Information