5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Cleaned it up added a new tiles image, thanks gang!

Blog Entries
    So forgive my ignorance regarding maps, animation, etc. Should I be able to load a Dungeon Alchemist file (.dam) into handbrake? I mean, I can't, so what am I missing?

ThanX!
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    So forgive my ignorance regarding maps, animation, etc. Should I be able to load a Dungeon Alchemist file (.dam) into handbrake? I mean, I can't, so what am I missing?

ThanX!
    Handbrake converts video files, so you need to export a video file from Dungeon Alchemist. The .dam is the "code" for Dungeon Alchemist for a map, it's not a video.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Oh wow, two thumbs of approval

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scoot138 View Post
    Hello!

There is an open-source video conversion application called Handbrake which has been around for longer than I can recall which is capable of converting many of the various animated maps to webm VP8 format.

To start grab the proper version for your OS at https://handbrake.fr/

Do all the fun instally stuff

Once installed its quite simple.
    Step 1: First drag the file you would like to convert onto the application
    Step 2: Once the file is loaded the next step is to select the Format WebM
    Step 3: Set Dimensions, IF you are using a 4K or greater resolution source I would suggest selecting 1080p HD which should be fine for TTRPG use.
    You can also select None on this field to do a straight conversion, or deselect Optimal Size and set the resolution that you would like.
    If you are running into maps getting squished of distorted than On the Dimensions tab under Resolution and Scaling: set Anamorphic to None - Thanks to BaneTBC for this tip
    Step 4: Crucial Step, Select VP8 for Video Encoder
    Step 5: Go to the Audio tab and click Clear - Thanks to Lo Zeno for this tip
    removing the audio track from the file will also decrease the size and FGU does not have the ability to play the track.
    Step 6: I would recommend adding this as a preset to load up when you need to do more conversions
    Final Step is to select Start Encode and a minute or so later you will have a FGU compatible animated map!

Here is a visual aid for the above steps
    Attachment 57771

This method will work for pretty much any of the various animated map formats such as m4v, mp4, webp, etc.

You can also drag a folder with multiple files into the source selection screen, any settings you have set will apply to all queued conversion.

Happy gaming!
    I notice when following these steps, there is a SEVERE degradation on the animated version vs the jpg of the original.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (142.0 KB, 28 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (458.5 KB, 26 views)
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

Yeah, for a map I'm trying out, I brought it up to 4k res, which looks far better, but that makes for a 26 mb file (as opposed to static map at 600 kb and 1080p at 4 mb). I'm about to test with a player to see how long it takes to share...

Quote Originally Posted by rob2e View Post
    I notice when following these steps, there is a SEVERE degradation on the animated version vs the jpg of the original.
    Can be lots of reasons for that. Resolution, other settings, etc.. You'll probably need to play around with the settings a bit to get something that works well for the kind of videos you're using.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Mt test with my brother yesterday went well. Flat map=instantaneous, 1080p map~5 seconds, 4k map~15 seconds. So 4k should be workable, right? Once the image initially loads, updates from token movement, etc should be instantaneous?

Quote Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
    So 4k should be workable, right? Once the image initially loads, updates from token movement, etc should be instantaneous?
    Instantaneous? Maybe not... the larger the file (resolution) the more FG will have to work - then add LoS and other map enhancements and FG could get taxed - especially on lower end computers. The max recommendation for a static image (not a video) is 16 million pixels, 4K video is half of that, but it's updating 30 frames per second (or whatever FPS the video uses). I'd recommend looking at a map video and keeping the size at a reasonable level so that FG doesn't get overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamon View Post
    Mt test with my brother yesterday went well. Flat map=instantaneous, 1080p map~5 seconds, 4k map~15 seconds. So 4k should be workable, right? Once the image initially loads, updates from token movement, etc should be instantaneous?
    The size of your map is completely irrelevant aside from how long it takes it to load for your players or in situations where people are playing with extremely low-end machines, but the load-time issue can be mitigated by simply sharing the image when your players are offline and it will 'pre-load' for them when they log in.

I've been using maps as large as 300mb for a couple years and have zero performance problems until I start adding LoS points, lighting, etc., but the map size has nothing to do with performance. Once the map is loaded, it's loaded and has no bearing on the calculation relationship between tokens and the LoS/Lighting points. Point being, you can use massive, 4k resolution maps without any concern, but once you start adding in stock FGU features you'll have to be more prudent, but it has nothing to do with map size; it's entirely a consequence of the way those features are coded.

You don't have to take my word for it. Try it yourself.
    Last edited by BushViper; June 18th, 2023 at 21:37.

Thread Information