FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

How to: Convert animated maps to VP8 WEBM using Handbrake

Hello!

There is an open-source video conversion application called Handbrake which has been around for longer than I can recall which is capable of converting many of the various animated maps to webm VP8 format.

To start grab the proper version for your OS at https://handbrake.fr/

Do all the fun instally stuff

Once installed its quite simple.
    Step 1: First drag the file you would like to convert onto the application
    Step 2: Once the file is loaded the next step is to select the Format WebM
    Step 3: Set Dimensions, IF you are using a 4K or greater resolution source I would suggest selecting 1080p HD which should be fine for TTRPG use.
    You can also select None on this field to do a straight conversion, or deselect Optimal Size and set the resolution that you would like.
    If you are running into maps getting squished of distorted than On the Dimensions tab under Resolution and Scaling: set Anamorphic to None - Thanks to BaneTBC for this tip
    Step 4: Crucial Step, Select VP8 for Video Encoder
    Step 5: Go to the Audio tab and click Clear - Thanks to Lo Zeno for this tip
    removing the audio track from the file will also decrease the size and FGU does not have the ability to play the track.
    Step 6: I would recommend adding this as a preset to load up when you need to do more conversions
    Final Step is to select Start Encode and a minute or so later you will have a FGU compatible animated map!

Here is a visual aid for the above steps
    Webm Doc.png

This method will work for pretty much any of the various animated map formats such as m4v, mp4, webp, etc.

You can also drag a folder with multiple files into the source selection screen, any settings you have set will apply to all queued conversion.

Happy gaming!
    Last edited by scoot138; June 16th, 2023 at 18:55. Reason: Additional tips added

Jolly Good
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Brilliant, thank you very much!
    If I may suggest one additional step to your guide: since FGU does not support Audio for webm files, going into the Audio tab of Handbrakes one can remove the audio track of the original video - that shrinks down the file size considerably, which helps a lot during play to make the map/picture appear quickly on the players' clients

I've been playing with trying to bring a Webm file into FGU from Dungeon Alchemist using Handbrake. I kept getting squatter, smooshed maps which obviously wasn't what I was looking for. It looks like you want to turn off Anamorphic on the Dimensions tab (set it to None), and the map looks more like what I was starting with.

Thanks for the finds, I added them to the top list of steps, unfortunately I cannot add more images :/

Quote Originally Posted by scoot138 View Post
    Hello!

There is an open-source video conversion application called Handbrake which has been around for longer than I can recall which is capable of converting many of the various animated maps to webm VP8 format.

To start grab the proper version for your OS at https://handbrake.fr/

Do all the fun instally stuff

Once installed its quite simple.
    First drag the file you would like to convert onto the application
    Attachment 57758

Once the file is loaded the next step is to select the Format WebM
    Attachment 57759

IF you are using a 4K or greater resolution I would suggest selecting 1080p HD
    Attachment 57760

Thanks to Lo Zeno for this tip, removing the audio track from the file will also decrease the size and FGU does not have the ability to play the track.
    Go to the Audio tab and click Clear

Thanks to BaneTBC for the following tip if you find that your maps are getting squashed or distorted.
    On the Dimensions tab under Resolution and Scaling: set Anamorphic to None

The last step is to select Video Encoder VP8
    Attachment 57761

I would recommend adding this as a preset to load up when you need to do more conversions
    Attachment 57762

Next select Start Encode and a minute or so later you will have a FGU compatible animated map!

This method will work for pretty much any of the various animated map formats such as m4v webp etc.

Happy gaming!
    I've tried 3 other conversion tools to do exactly what you're describing and each resulted in a significant loss in image quality. How is the end-product using Handbrake?

I get no loss in quality doing a straight conversion. With handbrake you have the ability to tweak a lot of settings.
    In the write it is downscaling to 1080p but you can also set Resolution Limit to none which will do a straight conversion, but can lead to large file sizes.
    Added further clarification to the top post around this.
    Last edited by scoot138; June 16th, 2023 at 17:14.

I get no loss in quality doing a straight conversion. With handbrake you have the ability to tweak a lot of settings.
    In the write it is downscaling to 1080p but you can also set Resolution Limit to none which will do a straight conversion, but can lead to large file sizes.
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I support more than a dozen mapmakers on Patreon and nearly all of them make animated maps, but almost none of them provide them in WebM format; VP8 or otherwise. So, a conversion tool that is able to reproduce them 1:1 would be invaluable.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the finds, I added them to the top list of steps, unfortunately I cannot add more images :/
    If you want to expand the instructions, myself or one of the mods can "steal" Zacheus's post and put the info there. Just make a reply with what you want the info to be and we will edit Mr. Z's post to move your info there.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Or tile a few screenshots into one image attachment and give them number labels to refer to them in the post...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information