DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Let's not give up of the Cypher System!

It's an awesome tool and would blow up if more people knew about it and how it works. MCG needs to move into the FG VTT space, not just Alchemy, Roll20 or whatever else. Everybody's missing out on an system that can play any genre! It can be homebrewed to how you like it, more crunch, np, less crunch, the GM just describes each scene. Come on everybody!
    FGU Ultimate|OGL 1.0a forever | Open RPG Creative (ORC) license!
    I play and GM everything and anything!
    Come join me and make some memories of another life.
    DMing Curse of Strahd with 6 wonderful people.
    Playing 5e in Midgard with Sir Greystone
    Playing Rolemaster and Fallout 2d20 with GM Max
    Playing Against the Darkmaster with Kergan
    Solo Roleplaying to become a better GM and experiment with systems that aren't as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalChillness View Post
    It's an awesome tool and would blow up if more people knew about it and how it works. MCG needs to move into the FG VTT space, not just Alchemy, Roll20 or whatever else. Everybody's missing out on an system that can play any genre! It can be homebrewed to how you like it, more crunch, np, less crunch, the GM just describes each scene. Come on everybody!
    I like your enthusiasm. Have you thought of creating your own content or perhaps making videos with your favorite rulesets or assets? I feel the same way in regards to the FGU. However, most of the users in this forum already have FG or were using it. The only real way to spread the love is to support Smiteworks, help new folks, and create related and helpful content.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laerun View Post
    I like your enthusiasm. Have you thought of creating your own content or perhaps making videos with your favorite rulesets or assets? I feel the same way in regards to the FGU. However, most of the users in this forum already have FG or were using it. The only real way to spread the love is to support Smiteworks, help new folks, and create related and helpful content.
    Brother, I've send several messages to MCG and to Smiteworks, Doug Davison. I'm really trying to get Cypher System officially supported on FGU. Poe and I were talking about try to convert some of the core books over into FG as modules with References. It's going to take a lot of time and everybody has their time quite full. I think we are slowly but surely making an impact. Saagaal created the Cypher++ extension, based off the MoreCore extension to allow us to at least have character sheets and a running system. A few years ago I converted a pdf into a game that I GM and the group loved it. The demand, passion and love is there. We just need to get organized and start creating whole Cypher System Rules, Discovery or Destiny modules to send to MCG to how they like it, want to edit it, or possibly accept it. From what I've heard is that communication with them can be difficult and they aren't going to code all their books into FGU, so that leaves us the community. But we can't redistribute or sell these copies as they are licensed and we would have to send them to MCG to see if they want to sign their licensing contract with Smiteworks based on volunteer's work. That's how a lot of these smaller TTRPGs get their products onto the FG marketplace, but some make it easier than how MCG works with them.
    Solo Roleplaying to become a better GM and experiment with systems that aren't as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalChillness View Post
    Brother, I've send several messages to MCG and to Smiteworks, Doug Davison. I'm really trying to get Cypher System officially supported on FGU. Poe and I were talking about try to convert some of the core books over into FG as modules with References. It's going to take a lot of time and everybody has their time quite full. I think we are slowly but surely making an impact. Saagaal created the Cypher++ extension, based off the MoreCore extension to allow us to at least have character sheets and a running system. A few years ago I converted a pdf into a game that I GM and the group loved it. The demand, passion and love is there. We just need to get organized and start creating whole Cypher System Rules, Discovery or Destiny modules to send to MCG to how they like it, want to edit it, or possibly accept it. From what I've heard is that communication with them can be difficult and they aren't going to code all their books into FGU, so that leaves us the community. But we can't redistribute or sell these copies as they are licensed and we would have to send them to MCG to see if they want to sign their licensing contract with Smiteworks based on volunteer's work. That's how a lot of these smaller TTRPGs get their products onto the FG marketplace, but some make it easier than how MCG works with them.
    Aren't all (or almost all) of the Cypher System available as an SRD? At least that appears to be the where the Foundry game system implementation of Cypher System is sourcing their content from.
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

Perhaps that's something new that they implemented (i.e. SRD); since their initial launch? If so and someone wants to make a SRD version of modules, we can include them.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Perhaps that's something new that they implemented (i.e. SRD); since their initial launch?
    Yep, it was only about a year ago.

https://screwtapello.gitlab.io/cyphe...nce/index.html
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Perhaps that's something new that they implemented (i.e. SRD); since their initial launch? If so and someone wants to make a SRD version of modules, we can include them.

Regards,
    JPG
    Yeah, apparently last year Monte Cook Games reworked the licensing for Cypher System as the Cypher System Open License that includes a Cypher System Reference Document (CSRD) that includes almost all of the rules content from their various rulebooks.
    Native Texan. Tabletop Gaming since 1977. Ultimate License holder. Life-long Trekkie. Traveller fanatic. Die-hard Savage. OSR enthusiast. 1930's Pulp aficionado.
    Currently Running:
    Cypher System: Shotguns, Sorcery & Shenanigans
    Currently Playing:
    Shadowdark: ShadowRim Excursion
    Savage Worlds: Hell Divers
    Ambition & Avarice: Maelstrom Island
    Time Zone: Central Daylight Time (GMT-5)

With the current state of the ruleset, we could get started on the abilities in the CSRD. Types, Foci, etc., would probably need to wait until some proper libraries for those things get built in. They could go in a Reference Manual, though, then linked later when the rest of the good stuff gets built.
    --
    I'm so bassic

Quote Originally Posted by wndrngdru View Post
    With the current state of the ruleset, we could get started on the abilities in the CSRD. Types, Foci, etc., would probably need to wait until some proper libraries for those things get built in. They could go in a Reference Manual, though, then linked later when the rest of the good stuff gets built.
    The next ruleset update will include foci, descriptors, types, flavors, and ancestries as library items.Though for that release they'll only be text boxes with no mechanical function. The release after that will add things like having lists of Abilities by tier and such. Once that's in it should be good to start transcribing.

NPCs are already in a good place. Items are probably good enough for now, though there are likely a few quality of life updates.

In fact, transcribing content from the books is an excellent way to build up a list of features that needs to be supported. For a while now I've mostly been operating on what I think would be useful, as I'm not familiar with most of the Cypher content.

And definitely getting a Reference Manual will take long enough that most of the other core library features will be in place by the time anyone starts thinking about creating Abilities en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by Saagael View Post
    The next ruleset update will include foci, descriptors, types, flavors, and ancestries as library items.Though for that release they'll only be text boxes with no mechanical function. The release after that will add things like having lists of Abilities by tier and such. Once that's in it should be good to start transcribing.

NPCs are already in a good place. Items are probably good enough for now, though there are likely a few quality of life updates.

In fact, transcribing content from the books is an excellent way to build up a list of features that needs to be supported. For a while now I've mostly been operating on what I think would be useful, as I'm not familiar with most of the Cypher content.

And definitely getting a Reference Manual will take long enough that most of the other core library features will be in place by the time anyone starts thinking about creating Abilities en masse.
    Thank you for all the work you've done. I'm happy that we even have the ability to play Cypher on FG and our own spot on the forum now. I'd like to start working on creating some of the books for FGU as modules but I understand they can't be shared until MCG licenses it to Smiteworks. As someone who owns ALL the Numenera and The Strange books, and am halfway through the Cypher System books, our community is growing and I appreciate all the work you've put into it

Thread Information