FG Spreadshirt Swag

Precise Strike + Confident Finisher / Applying Half Damage

Trying to determine how much damage Precise Strike + Confident Finisher do on a failed attack.

Code:
    Precise Strike: You strike with flair. When you have panache and you Strike with an agile or 
    finesse melee weapon or agile or finesse unarmed attack, you deal 2 additional precision damage. 
    If the strike is part of a finisher, the additional damage is 2d6 precision damage instead.
    Code:
    Confident Finisher: You make an incredibly graceful attack, piercing your foe's defenses. 
    Make a Strike with a weapon or unarmed attack that would apply your precise strike damage, with the following failure effect. 
    Failure You deal half your precise strike damage to the target. This damage type is that of the weapon or unarmed attack you used for the Strike.
    I have a few ideas:

- Would it be half your normal damage?
    - Would it be half your normal damage + the confident finisher damage
    - Would it be half the +2 you get for precision damage; in this case 1

==============

There are a few ways to manually halve damage like this that I know of like using the ALT-key when damage is rolled or the Modifier button "Half". Is there a way to make an Effect that could be applied to a creature that would make damage from an attack calculate out to half its rolled value.

I did look through the effect stuff here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...nder+2+Ruleset and could not work out if it was possible.

I saw something under the PFRPG2 - NPC Ability Automation under the Damage section that said: [HALF] - (optional) damage rolled will be halved. Used for providing automation where damage could be halved outside of the basic saving throw functionality. but I don't think this would work.
    Last edited by Stargrove; June 4th, 2023 at 18:39.

My understanding is that it is half of the bonus precision damage for a finisher. So in this case, half of 2d6.

Whenever this happens I usually roll the finisher damage in chat and apply half of it manually.

After reading about this in other places today, that does seem to be the general consensus.

Not only that but if you read the last sentence it turns from 2d6 precision damage to 0.5 * 2d6 slashing (or piercing or bludgeoning depending on weapon) damage.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Quote Originally Posted by Farnaby View Post
    Not only that but if you read the last sentence it turns from 2d6 precision damage to 0.5 * 2d6 slashing (or piercing or bludgeoning depending on weapon) damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro
    My understanding is that it is half of the bonus precision damage for a finisher. So in this case, half of 2d6.
    I believe that is what I said yes.

Ah, sorry, wrong formulation.
    The key aspect of my statement was to point out that it is no longer precision damage if you fail.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett [RIP] - Jingo

Oh! That looks to be true. Interesting.

Thread Information