STAR TREK 2d20

Small Efects Bug

I continue to experience bugs with my players not being able to see effects that were previously on the list. When I recreate the effect they can then see it but (usually) when another update to FGU occurs they once again report that they no longer can see the effect on the list and so they cannot apply it to their character sheet on their own. This is NOT the list of FG effects like blinded or stunned, etc. I have many but my most popular is for sneak attack which reads something like this:

SELF; Sneak Attack 1; DMG:1d6

This tells my player they apply it to themselves, not the creature. It then does the 1d6 extra damage and goes away (I have it set for one roll) and if they would get sneak next turn they apply it again. Up until recently the effects were always there for them but now it seems that they vanish for them with each update and I have to copy and paste the effect back in order for them to see it. A small problem but still an annoying bug.

Blog Entries
    What extensions are you using?
    What ruleset?
    Is this just the effects on the Combat Tracker or is there another list that they are disappearing from?
    Are the characters/tokens being removed from the Combat Tracker and re-added?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I'd echo LE's questions; since there isn't a way to change the duration of effects in the effects list to on next roll or whatever I assume you are using an extension to do this.

For effects such as sneak attack it would be best to have these on the players action tab. No special knowledge is required to set this up - just drag the link icon at the top left of the sneak attack window and drop it onto the actions tab and the effect will be created. (In fact if the character was created within the last few months either via drag and drop or via the character wizard, sneak attack is automatically added to the actions tab along with the necessary effect).
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I continue to experience bugs with my players not being able to see effects that were previously on the list. When I recreate the effect they can then see it but (usually) when another update to FGU occurs they once again report that they no longer can see the effect on the list and so they cannot apply it to their character sheet on their own. This is NOT the list of FG effects like blinded or stunned, etc. I have many but my most popular is for sneak attack which reads something like this:

SELF; Sneak Attack 1; DMG:1d6

This tells my player they apply it to themselves, not the creature. It then does the 1d6 extra damage and goes away (I have it set for one roll) and if they would get sneak next turn they apply it again. Up until recently the effects were always there for them but now it seems that they vanish for them with each update and I have to copy and paste the effect back in order for them to see it. A small problem but still an annoying bug.
    Once you have created these effects on their sheet, you can store them into the spells data area to store them or use when this problem occurs. I am not sure how or what you do to store these effects, but they can be saved over time and exported as a module.
    I personally have never experienced this type of behavior unless the campaign data was changed ,the players deleted the effects from the CT or their own actions tab on accident, or if the information is not shared with your connected players, and or breaks by another extension.
    Unless you are reverting a module back to factory, there's no good way to know what's happening. If you create the effects on the player character's actions tab, and store them in the spells data area, this problem is not as big of an issue to manage.
    Are you using any extensions that add or mange any additional functions in regards to effects automation?
    Last edited by Laerun; June 5th, 2023 at 10:38.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

To clarify I have attached a jpg showing the effects page, NOT the combat tracker. These effects, while perfectly visible to me and visible many iterations ago in FGU can now not be seen by my characters unless I recreate them.
    To answer your questions about version and extensions:

FGU 5E
    Advanced Effects
    Polymorphism
    CoreRPG Has Initiative
    Official Language Fonts
    Official Theme
    Theme Light

Please see attachedeffectsnotseen.jpg

I can't say why they are disappearing from your effects list on the players side; I've not seen any other reports of this happening. It could be one of the extensions that you are using is having some detrimental effect, but I can't say for sure that is the problem.

On looking at you listed effect I have some comment which might help you to streamline your list or indeed eradicate most of it altogether. EXHAUSTION: x where x is an actual number and not a Roman numeral is built into Fantasy Grounds so there's no real need to replicate the effects in your effects list. (Additionally you really only need EXHAUSTION: 1 since adding that effect multiple times will accumulate the number). Resistance is RESIST: <damagetype> and not RESISTANCE. COVER and SCOVER are also built in effects in Fantasy Grounds so, again, there's no need to replicate these in your list (and in addition the buttons at the bottom left under the chat window can be used for this purpose). Several of the other effects should be on the actions tab of your players and in fact will be there already (I'm thinking here of the spells that you have listed - your players will have dragged these into their actions tab and the effects will have been set up for them). The only effect that I see that needs to be included in your list is Crypt Curse and I would assume that isn't one that your players should see.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

As mentioned when you previously reported this, please provide the db.xml from your campaign where this issue is present.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information