5E Character Create Playlist

Art question - what can be reused?

Hey there, obviously there are frames and buttons and icons that come from CoreRPG that people use, especially if they are not artistic (me me me!) but if someone, for example Celestian posts a ruleset like "AD&D Core" (free predecessor to 2E rulelset) and it has a small icon that I like to use like: wheels-icon.png, is that OK to reuse in other rulesets?

I am completely unaware of nunances. I know art is copywritable and expect anyone who gets the art has the say so etc - but I wanted to know if there is a rule or procedure on what IS available to be used in free or paid (I expect different rules may apply) rulesets/extensions etc.

On a related topic, again since I can't do art, is there a good place to go to get legitimate and reusable icons, images, buttons, and frames, etc? From B&W line simple ones to artsy ones and all in between? For all I know there is a common "clip-art" or "stock pho...err..images" site I could be visiting but don't know about. In the past I just "stole" buttons and icons willy nilly from any unzippable file because I was just experimenting where no one would see or use it. If I want someone to use it, I rather not have to go back and redo small things like buttons and like - replacing backgrounds and frames are more easily tracked and done after the fact than a myriad of tiny art.

Appreciated!
    Last edited by Varsuuk; June 1st, 2023 at 08:23.

Blog Entries
    thenounproject is free if you attribute the artists or $40 for an annual license
    herer is a quick version I just made - resize it if it works for you
    cog.png

I've also been getting icons recently from Google Material Symbols, which also has an open license. You can adjust the icons for viewing size, filled/unfilled, etc.; before downloading.
    https://fonts.google.com/icons

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    If you still have specific art you want to use from another ruleset, ask the author. You can also check and see if its not in the vault and see if their are any license files/statements that tell you upfront if you can use, but I suspect not too many community rulesets include such files.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Cool, I am not trying to prettify too much - that's a rabbit-hole thing for me. Picking things is a pain, yeesh having to go suit shopping recently was a nightmare - the differences were mostly minor!

I wanted to see if there was a place like what Moon listed (and I found a "lighter" cog that looks like a common icon ... now that I am used to Celestian's cog, even with its weirdly OK but transformed cog-down icon, I prefer his - but will prob grab the google one)
    Any general - usable rule of thumbs on the WEIGHT/GRADE/OPTICAL SIZE settings?
    For my downloaded one I picked a 20 (since that's what AD&D's was - though some icons are 40) and kept defaults of 400weight and grade0. I DL the fill and non-fill thinking can see if pressed/unpressed look good with the combo.

Any reason to pick a specific size for a specific TYPE of icon?
    Any reason to change grade from 0?
    What's the default "weight" you use? Do you vary it for certain scenarios? Any rule of thumb if there is variance?

(You see, I am trying to avoid - decision making on asthetics which is completely SUBJECTIVE, I hate that )

Thanks Damned! I can see by watching your creation videos that you are comfortable around gimp and art apps - I envy you! (Always wanted to also do cool game maps but never started cos... foresaw much frustration ahead in that - one day may use my small tablet to draw old 1970s/80s line maps by hand that I can prob do better with the web mappers I see but at least I get to use the old cheap wacom I have)

PS - I saw Damned's cog was 120x120 - is it better to save them at something like that and let FG resize via bounds? (for the google site, this means max 48px but still, that would cover 20 and 40px icons I see often)
    - Cos I tried DL the 48 version and when I reload, I cannot see a diff at my screens reso (25Kx?) which sounds good cos then a 48 could be used for a 20x20 or 40x40 with no "enlargement" which is often distorting. Didn't know if shrinkage was also bad?

PPS - Any similar site for grabbing "backgrounds" I looked at tutorials for easily creating textures like leather pebbling thing I like in the CoreRPG and 2E/old OSE? themes, but I would like to change the coloring/tint etc. But since I read those as having too many "fuzzy choices", I went with a solid "wine" or so color and I am happy. But figure, for next time in case really want a nice texture of leather or paper but in diff tints than CoreRPG gives.

The icon site looks like a godsend for me in making easy choices between a small set of icons (meaning when filtering on words/types) - I love it.

The things with graphics, especially iconography, is that you can get unexpected looks when squeezing down graphics smaller than their intended display size. Similarly, graphics can look fuzzy and washed out when expanding them larger than their intended display size.

For CoreRPG, the general guideline is that icons are roughly 20x20 pixels (which are then adjusted by UI scale). I'll probably be focusing on standardizing a little more as I begin work on standardizing headers in the next ruleset cycle.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    The things with graphics, especially iconography, is that you can get unexpected looks when squeezing down graphics smaller than their intended display size. Similarly, graphics can look fuzzy and washed out when expanding them larger than their intended display size.

For CoreRPG, the general guideline is that icons are roughly 20x20 pixels (which are then adjusted by UI scale). I'll probably be focusing on standardizing a little more as I begin work on standardizing headers in the next ruleset cycle.

Regards,
    JPG
    Cool - will stick to 20x20 then so far only added one and it was 20x20.

You guys rock always.

Thread Information