STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    That video was very helpful, thanks!

Hey Trenloe, I'm starting out with the Beginner's box... if we are running the pregen characters, will that be sufficient or do I need to purchase the core rulebook too?

OK here am my 2 cents
    (hope i can translate it right in my head)
    if you ar new to PF2 use Fantasy Grounds. here are a ton of rules inplemented in the system and the automations help a lot. I Start RP with the crowdfunding for PF2 in Germany. All of my People strat with me. Our Campain was Plagstone and we tryed it on Roll 20. Yea was good but there are some Rule spesifics that we dont know. Ist a lot to Learn in the begining. After this campain we changed to FG and here was the moment that the System calculated something that we were not aware of. I tryed Foundry but there ist not enough calculation to support new Player and GM´s.
    Text Translated by Deepl ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel View Post
    Hey Trenloe, I'm starting out with the Beginner's box... if we are running the pregen characters, will that be sufficient or do I need to purchase the core rulebook too?
    Just the Beginner Box is all you need. It has everything for the adventure (a two level dungeon crawl) and to take the four classes included to level 3. Troubles in Otari then has three more adventures that follow on from the Beginner Box and the data to take the four classes in the Beginner Box to level 4: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO9558FG

You can switch to the Core Rules at any point - when you level up (via the button in the chargen tracker) you'll be prompted if you want to convert the character to full rules or keep with the Beginner Box.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Morfedel View Post
    One thing to add to what Trenloe said, since I've seen a couple people get confused: If/when you do convert over to the core rules, make sure to disable to Beginner Box box module once you aren't using it! Otherwise you will end up with some confusing duplicates of certain feats, spells, etc.

Foundry can be absolutely fantastic. Lots of bells & whistles.
    But it is so driven by community mods to be up to what you'd need for a smooth game. And, the mods are usually free. But then some mods clash with other mods. And if the person who made the mod doesn't constantly update it to be compatible with the latest version of the Foundry software.
    Also, you basically are forced to rent a monthly server to be able to use it reliably.

Most the stuff in FGU is baked into the ruleset, not reliant on modifications.. There are some cool quality of life extensions, but they're not required.
    For my money, I feel like FGU is more stable and consistent.
    The connection is solid. You don't need a separate server.

Quote Originally Posted by Milke View Post
    Foundry can be absolutely fantastic. Lots of bells & whistles.
    But it is so driven by community mods to be up to what you'd need for a smooth game. And, the mods are usually free. But then some mods clash with other mods. And if the person who made the mod doesn't constantly update it to be compatible with the latest version of the Foundry software.
    Also, you basically are forced to rent a monthly server to be able to use it reliably.

Most the stuff in FGU is baked into the ruleset, not reliant on modifications.. There are some cool quality of life extensions, but they're not required.
    For my money, I feel like FGU is more stable and consistent.
    The connection is solid. You don't need a separate server.
    Kind of what I was starting to conclude with, too.

This is purely anecdotal, but when I watch streams of people playing PFRPG2 on Twitch or YouTube, I notice that the Foundry problems tend to be technical (e.g., can't connect to the game, conflicting mods, game crashes, wrong hardware acceleration setting messes things up, etc.) whereas the FG problems tend to be knowledge-based (e.g., how do I use this ability or create this automation or navigate the UI).

Quote Originally Posted by mwfantasygrounds View Post
    This is purely anecdotal, but when I watch streams of people playing PFRPG2 on Twitch or YouTube, I notice that the Foundry problems tend to be technical (e.g., can't connect to the game, conflicting mods, game crashes, wrong hardware acceleration setting messes things up, etc.) whereas the FG problems tend to be knowledge-based (e.g., how do I use this ability or create this automation or navigate the UI).
    I have never experienced the issues your referring to and I gm 2 weekly games on Foundry with people from different parts of the world.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king

Thread Information