DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Using Precise Strike during combat

I am about to DM a game using Dragonlance - The Shadow of the Dragon Queen and one character has the Squire of Solamnia which allows for precise strike. As the DM, how would I active the deature so they can use the deature in combat?

cardswonin2006

Blog Entries
    If you run this RAW, then it means that before or after the player rolls the attack, they can decide to add their superiority die. This means after they miss, they can say they want to do a precise strike, so they then roll a 1d6 and you do the math in your head and tell them if they hit or miss (there are other ways to do this, but this is the simplest).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Gotcha, so I need to keep track to when they decide to use the feature based on thier proficieny bonus which in this case would be +2. I would then calcuate the HIT to the target manually after they roll for damage. In addition, I can decide say if their precise strike is a HIT. Would they roll a d6 for me to determine if its a HIT or would FGU determine that for me?
    Last edited by cardswonin2006; May 26th, 2023 at 05:51.

As an alternative, you can use this extension called "Requested rolls":
    https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/273/view

It has a feature called "Staged rolls", where you can set up FGU to show a popup for specific roll types (e.g. attack rolls) only for characters that have a specific feature, or Feat, or Effect in the combat tracker; when that popup shows up they can either add a fixed bonus, reroll the die or add another die (in your case you want the last one), and resubmit the result, letting FGU calculate the success/failure again after the popup closes (you can see what it looks like here in the extension's wiki: https://github.com/seanmccarty/Reque...t#staged-rolls)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cardswonin2006 View Post
    Gotcha, so I need to keep track to when they decide to use the feature based on thier proficieny bonus which in this case would be +2. I would then calcuate the HIT to the target manually after they roll for damage. In addition, I can decide say if their precise strike is a HIT. Would they roll a d6 for me to determine if its a HIT or would FGU determine that for me?
    Here's how I see it working (and personally I would avoid extensions until you are familiar with how FG works with no extensions);
    - Player rolls the attack and sees they missed.
    - Player declares "I'm going to use a superiority die for precise strike."
    - Player rolls a d6
    - DM mentally adds the results of the d6 to the previous attack roll, compares to the target AC and declares hit or miss
    - If a hit, player rolls damage

Alternatively, you could do this;
    - Player drags the result of their attack roll from chat to the die modifier box
    - Player rolls a d6, this results in the chat showing a new higher attack roll, but it will not compare it to the target
    - Player drags the resulting roll from the chat to the target, either onthe map or the combat tracker,
    - FG will now indicate if it is a hit or miss

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Lordentails, Thanks that is exactly the information I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Here's how I see it working (and personally I would avoid extensions until you are familiar with how FG works with no extensions);
    - Player rolls a d6
    - DM mentally adds the results of the d6 to the previous attack roll, compares to the target AC and declares hit or miss

Alternatively, you could do this;
    - Player drags the result of their attack roll from chat to the die modifier box
    - Player rolls a d6, this results in the chat showing a new higher attack roll, but it will not compare it to the target
    - Player drags the resulting roll from the chat to the target, either onthe map or the combat tracker,
    - FG will now indicate if it is a hit or miss
    I think this should be the other way around. Drag the result of the superiority dice into the modifier box and then drag the original attack back onto the target.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Question from a noob who's also the player the original question is about. Are we talking about the same thing? This is the feature in conferred by the Knight of Solamnia background in the Shadow of the Dragon Queen adventure:

"Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack's damage roll. You can use this benefit a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, but a use is expended only if the attack hits. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest"

That doesn't have anything to do with superiority dice, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sdclarknc View Post
    Question from a noob who's also the player the original question is about. Are we talking about the same thing? This is the feature in conferred by the Knight of Solamnia background in the Shadow of the Dragon Queen adventure:

"Precise Strike. Once per turn, when you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can cause the attack roll to have advantage. If the attack hits, you roll a d8 and add the number rolled as a bonus to the attack's damage roll. You can use this benefit a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, but a use is expended only if the attack hits. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest"

That doesn't have anything to do with superiority dice, right?
    So yes, different feature than the one I knew about, but handled almost the same way.
    With this Precise Strike, you;
    - declare you are using it before you roll
    - Click the ADV button and roll your attack
    - If you hit, roll a d8 before you roll damage, drag the result from the chat window to the modifier box
    - Roll damage

Now, if you want to get more fancy, you can create an action in your actions tab. If you want you can create an effect ADVATK that expires on next use and then another effect the applies DMG: 1d8 that expires on next roll. Then you can set the number of uses for that action to 3/day so you can help track when you've used it. See here for examples:
    5E Character Sheet - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...Trait-Examples

Blog Entries
    Here, I created the action as an example. You might want the expand to be different or to actually set a duration. But you can read the links I added above to see more and then adjust. Note, I put this in the group "Class Features" but you can name it anything.

Screenshot 2023-05-30 180958.png

Thread Information