DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

Wiki Issue; NPC Spellcasting

The wiki section on NPC spell casting: 5E Effects for Advanced Automation - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)
    Is not very clear. There are two ways that Spellcasting (not innate) are listed and the wiki does not make clear the differences and that there are intentionally two formats that can be parsed. Maybe labelling them "Method 1" and "Method 2" would help? Also, it's not clear when one should add them to the Traits section of the NPC, or when (and which format) to use when adding to the Spell section of the NPC record.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Spellcasting appears under the heading Spellcasting NPCs and indicates that it is a trait. The other spellcasting comes under the heading 'Spellcasting as Actions' and indicates that spellcasting can be added as an action rather than a trait. You can use either method but not both in the same NPC. I'll have a look to see if the wording could be clarified on that last point, but otherwise it's clear to me anyway that they are two different things.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    See image for section I was referring to. Note that the section is Spellcasting (and indicates its a trait) but it then has 3 examples; Spellcasting, Innate Spellcasting, Spellcasting.

At least on the page I linked I don't see anything about spellcasting as an action. Is that on a different page?

Screenshot 2023-05-17 093248.png

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I think you may be looking at a cached instance maybe. The wiki was recently update; and spellcasting as an action is in a different place from where it is as a trait. Here's an image of the index since providing images of the wiki would be too may. Also looking at that I think maybe we need to re-order that index a little. I suspect that maybe there was a glitch between me and Derek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    I refreshed the page and checked history, it appears to be showing me V.15 from May 3, 2023. Perhaps you are seeing an unpublished page that as an author I can't see?

Zacchaeus's screenshot is of the "5E NPCs and Encounters" page, not the effects page. Both of you need to get on the same page!!!

Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ahaha. Trenloe to the rescue once again.

Yeah, the main article for NPC spellcasting is really in the NPCs section. I repeated it in the effects section in a more cut down version just for completeness.

It does make it clear in the last section that you can use spellcasting either as a trait or as an action. (I agree it's not clear that you can't use both). In the most recent books WotC moved the spellcasting trait into actions and Moon Wizard added the parsing to the ruleset - so I suppose that's the one that you should use but either works. What WotC are doing is adding spells that are melee or ranged attacks (and don't require a saving throw) as actual actions and then putting all of other spells including those that require a saving throw into a spellcasting action. You'll notice also that the wording is subtly different.

Blog Entries
    Ah, well the new? page (5E NPCs and Encounters - Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal - Confluence (atlassian.net)) is much better How about updating the other one with a link to the better one for more info or such? I actually wasn't aware of the NPCs & Encounters page, so used to the other one never looked elsewhere

Thread Information