5E Character Create Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Since I usually have the CT open during combat, this is something I don't really mind doing for them. I tend to always ask "Any other action? / Anything else?", which is the same thing I do in "physical" games.

If I wanted to encourage my players to click themselves on the "finish turn" button I would tell them beforehand and just let the game stall if someone doesn't, until they click on it. Knowing my players, they would probably get the hang of it quickly. But as I said, it's not something that bothers me...

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Try getting them to add the button to the F1 position on there hotbar. That might help.
    Holup!! Holy cow, you can do that? (goes off to check) Holy cow, you can do that!

the first thing i do when joining a campaign as either a GM or Player is drag the next turn to the first slot on my hot bar, and the second slot be the initiative roll (if system applicable)

the hot bar makes life so much easier

Lol yeah the pass your turn is the vtt equivalent of people that don’t use turn signals when they drive. I mean cmon it’s not hard .

But anyway my players are actually pretty good with passing their turn maybe they forget once in a while which really isn’t a big deal to me.

I just throw out a random “and please click the button when you are done to pass your turn”

But that’s rough if even awarding inspiration does not help them remember.

Maybe just more verbal reminders after so nany times make a light hearted joke about it might make it memorable to them.

I almost hit 5 of those people last night while I was delivering.

if positive reinforcement doesnt work

could give NPCs advantage on the next round of attacks against someone who repeatedly forgets to end their turn
    maybe disadvantage on player saves against spell and effects

assuming this is dnd 5e

As a player mostly the issue I see with the 'pass your turn' button is this. When it's our turn, we do our actions and make our rolls, and then most of the time, we get to explain how things go down, which can be a little immersive. Then you have to break out of that and go back to reality and click a button. So it's not as simple as not putting on a turn signal. I always use my turn signals, but can't tell you how many times I have to be reminded to click the button, because my head is still in a different space.

If there was a set time (adjustable by the gm) where the Turn button would pop to the top of the screen and blink, that might help, because my other issue is that a lot of the time I am not watching the combat tracker directly. I will usually use my screen real estate for the current map and my char sheet. Or if after a set time, something like an outline of the main window would blink. Just something to jolt me back into reality, other than everyone at the table.

Now that I know it exists, I tried to encourage my PCs to use it in the last session. They generally remembered, but I found that combat kept it's pace better when I did what I always do - ask 'are you done' and do it myself.

It's the little things that define reality.

Something I know has impacted me and the end turn button over the years...

Some people do it (advance the turn) for the players and some people don't. If, as has happened to me, you are a player in more than one group and the practice is inconsistent between groups... you can click when you shouldn't and you can fail to click when you should. Remember if you click when you shouldn't and the GM also clicks it results in the turn getting moved twice... and the GM has to bring the tracker back to the skipped character or NPC.

I also admit that sometimes I fail to hit the button due to my own failing. Sometimes this is inexplicable. This is sometimes me learning a new system. (As I am currently doing with a PF2e.) I hope this is forgivable and I would certainly endeavor to correct it if the GM seemed annoyed or made a point to establish a practice. Ignoring another player's intentions (whether it is the GM or a player playing a character) is always a problem.

Edit: If there was a suggestion, I might think allowing the GM to hide and disable the player's end turn button if they don't want players to hit the button might be nice. It is such a small thing that I am not sure it is a wise use of development time, but people obviously have a reaction. That at least prevent the double click problem when the GM wants to do the clicking.
    Last edited by Ram Tyr; May 20th, 2023 at 16:26.
    Ram

If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself. -- Confucius

"take 1d6 psychic damage every time i have to press the next turn button" :P

But really, I just have it hotkeyed to F1, and just ask "are you done?" and hit next.

Thread Information