DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    Blog Entries

Character idea needed for 8th level one-shot

Hey friends,

I'm going to be playing in a one-shot campaign tonight that Bryce is hosting. I believe it will be on our Twitch and YouTube channels tonight. I need to make an 8th level character for the game.

I haven't played a D&D 5E game for a little while, so I'm looking for some ideas on characters that are fun and relatively easy to play. Any suggestions or builds I should look into? I'm open to most character types and races, although I want to avoid monstrous races or shape-changers this time. I lean towards semi-charismatic characters but I like to get in and scrap in a good melee. Rogues are a solid standby, but I'm curious if I should look at some other options.

Blog Entries
    Barbarians are always pretty straight-forward and can be fun if you give them a good personality. If you've seen the new D&D movie, you can go the Helga route rather than the Conan path.

A battlesmith Artificer looks pretty promising. That's what I'm building for a new Eberron campaign starting up. Gives good melee abilities, but with a iron defender might be a little complex in terms of options and tactics. Not sure.

Another option is a sword mage type, wizard/fighter dual class.

But for a one shot, and one you are streaming, I would worry more about personality and one or two "traits" that will set you apart and keep things fun. i.e. a saying or a habit. Such as "This is the Way" Or always asking "why?" Or "Well, my Momma always said..." Or "I don't think that means what you think it means..." Habits such as juggling pebbles and tossing them at people's back. Or using a dagger to clean one's fingernails at inappropriate times. Or drawing shapes in the dirt with your boot, inappropriate shapes is always good (and you can sketch them out on the edge of the map with the sketch tools).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Good Day DDavison
    I have always wanted to play a Dwarven Battlerager, but as I mostly DM I have not had the opportunity yet, but it sounds like fun to me.

Paladin!! Charismatic, kick butt melee guy and by 8th level, you get your aura. I'd make him Half-Elf; Aasimar or Eladrin.

Blog Entries
    Well even though I thought I didn't want to play a monstrous race and leaned towards charismatic characters, I instead went with a Tortle Monk. I just recently painted up a Donatello statue for my
    son, so the TMNT must have been on my mind.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep those in mind for future campaigns or one-shots. Good stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Heroes in a Half Shell!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information