STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Best PF2E Extensions

I have decided that I really don't have the capacity to learn a totally new VTT, so instead of trying Pathfinder 2 on Foundry, I am going to use FGU (with which I am very familiar, but primarily via running 5E).

What are the best and/or essential extensions for running PF2E on FGU? I don't need the implementation to be perfect or as comprehensive as 5E, but I have players that really lean on automation.

What is definitely not there yet, so i can keep it in mind?

And what is the best stand alone module fore Newbs? I am leaning toward running Crown of the Kobold King since it isn't a full AP and if we end up liking PF2E I want to go homebrew adventures afterward.

Thanks!

Trenloe is going to be releasing Release 19 to the Test server in the next week or two. That will add one of the biggest aids to running the game, in being able to set targetable DCs and roll skills against targets from the Combat Tracker.

There's a bunch of other automation aside and built upon that functionality, and I highly encourage you to read this thread to find out more.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rmation-thread

Aside that, I use:
    - Effect Builder (necessary for quickly turning out Effects without having to stop and research exactly correct syntax)
    --> Effect Builder Plugin - PFRPG 2 (the Pathfinder part of the above)
    - Mad Nomad's CORE (a box for the below things)
    --> Mad Nomad's Coin Manager 2 (add, remove, and exchange currencies with a couple button presses)
    ---> Mad Nomad's Buy and Sell Items (buy and sell items straight from the Items window, with scalable markup, and without having to go through all the trouble of building shops)
    - PFRPG2 GM Enhancements (all sorts of quality-of-life tools for GMs, like being able to quickly churn out an Elite or Weak version of an NPC)
    - Damned's fantastic Player Agency (a great place for players to keep notes organized)
    - Requested Rolls (likely obsoleted by the upcoming Release 19)
    - Success Level Colors (blue text for Critical Successes, dark red for Critical Failures)
    - Zuilin's Whisper Windows FGU (I like frantic pop-ups)

I neglected to answer your last question, so let me fix that.

I haven't run Crown of the Kobold King, but I'd recommend running the Beginner Box. It made switching my party from D&D 5e to Pathfinder a breeze, since it gradually ladels out the different systems so you and your players don't feel suddenly overwhelmed.

If you like that, there is an additional mini-AP called Troubles in Otari that will expand further on the rules and lore of the Pathfinder 2e world.

Between those two products you should be able to tell if you and your group are going to gel with the system.

I'm biased. But, in my opinion, the vanilla PF2 ruleset has much more automation available that the D&D 5E ruleset - in its current form (Release 18). The only thing it doesn't have is the ruleset wizard, but the PF2 ruleset chargen tracker provides a lot of that functionality - with additional feedback.

Release 19 will add a lot more automation - Activities (this is the main goal of Release 19), range calculations, shield block automation, floating character sheet windows, tracking of spell and class proficiencies, item actions and usage tracking, damage combination and a bunch of other improvements that I can't recall off the top of my head.

For a starter scenario/mini-campaign - Crown of the Kobold King is good, it's basically a multi-level dungeon crawl, so it's a good choice if you and your players are into dungeon crawls. The Beginner Box scenario (a smaller two-level dungeon crawl) and the follow up Trouble in Otari adventures are also a good mini-campaign. Fall of Plaguestone is good, but it was the first adventure released and there are some encounter balance issues - i.e. some of the encounters are TPK possibilities; I ended up bumping the PCs a level from 2 to 3 when I ran it as they nearly died with the first level 2 encounter.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 24th, 2023 at 19:51. Reason: Added damage combination to the list of R19 new features
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

To clarify, the automation that I am worried about is primarily PC ability effects buttons -- because I have THOSE sorts of players. it is nice having automated monster attack effects and stuff, too, but as GM I don't mind having to manually apply damage or conditions.

And I guess it would be nice for the action economy to be automated but it isn't like 5E remembers if you took a reaction already or used your bonus action.

Have a look at the activities preview video here: https://youtu.be/K3vomDTseB4 This is upcoming in Release 19.

Reactions are tracked manually - i.e. there's a checkbox that is manually checked to track if the actor reaction has been taken. This checkbox is automatically cleared at the start of the actor's turn. Similarly, the shield raised checkbox is automatically cleared at the start of an actor's turn.

I've toyed with the idea of what to do for tracking the use of actions. I'm sure it'll be done at sometime, but it's not something I'm prioritizing as I don't find tracking how many actions has been used in a turn is an issue in the PF2 games that I play in - PF2 is a lot easier in this aspect because you're not tracking different action types - all you're tracking is 3 actions on your turn and one reaction between turns. The activities tab in Release 19 does allow you to filter available tasks based off the number of activities (manually clicking a couple of buttons to filter) so it is easier to work out what options you have available to you - this isn't shown in the video as that was recorded before the searching/filtering was implemented. The screenshot below gives an idea of how the activity filtering looks - here Valeros is filtering their activities showing only those that take a single action.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 24th, 2023 at 19:57.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Have a look at the activities preview video here: https://youtu.be/K3vomDTseB4 This is upcoming in Release 19.

Reactions are tracked manually - i.e. there's a checkbox that is manually checked to track if the actor reaction has been taken. This checkbox is automatically cleared at the start of the actor's turn. Similarly, the shield raised checkbox is automatically cleared at the start of an actor's turn.

I've toyed with the idea of what to do for tracking the use of actions. I'm sure it'll be done at sometime, but it's not something I'm prioritizing as I don't find tracking how many actions has been used in a turn is an issue in the PF2 games that I play in - PF2 is a lot easier in this aspect because you're not tracking different action types - all you're tracking is 3 actions on your turn and one reaction between turns. The activities tab in Release 19 does allow you to filter available tasks based off the number of activities (manually clicking a couple of buttons to filter) so it is easier to work out what options you have available to you - this isn't shown in the video as that was recorded before the searching/filtering was implemented. The screenshot below gives an idea of how the activity filtering looks - here Valeros is filtering their activities showing only those that take a single action.

That's very cool. Honestly, I already bought Foundry, but if I can avoid putting a huge mental load in trying to figure it out, I would rather not. I am a full time civil engineering student and a working surveyor and engineer and a parent and a freelance writer... I don't need one more thing.

This list may change as I am just finishing my 5e campaign (maybe 2-3 sessions left) and transition to PF2E (Beginner Box):

Feature: Aura Effects (Automated Aura Effects for spells or class features)
    COP: Auras (Colors & Shapes for Aura - can mix with above)
    [Paladins and Daylight effect made the above invaluable for a 5E Curse of Strahd campaign]
    CorePRG - Combat Highlighter (A much needed visual link between the combat map and combat tracker - especially with 7 players and maybe 20-30 foes in some combats)
    MadNoMad ModuleUI (Not having to answer for the 1000th time, if you don't have a certain module loaded, it neither a bug nor my fault that you can't access data in said module - Now I can just force a minimum set of modules)
    NoExtraPudding (Saves me from seeing extraneous stuff (I've already got too much as it is), Allows me to limit players to only using what I own, Prevents players from building using somebody else's books (especially when said person misses a game and now the other player has "missing" stuff))
    Clear Dead (very helpful with keeping my map clear of extraneous dead critters...plus scratches one of my player pet peeves (don't slow combat down each and every round re-looking at dead mobs in the combat tracker)).

As well as a few that seems to be popular for several others:
    Requested Rolls
    Player Agency
    Success Level Colors
    PFRPG2 GM Enhancements

I *may* have an extension addiction problem as I have several others I will be evaluating.

I'd like to chime in on your choice of modules to start. I ran the Crown of Kobold multiple times in PF1. I absolutely loved the story and the players enjoyed having Falcons Hollow as an initial base of operations. Lots of role play there very similar to Otari. Its a strait forward module and I am going to get the entire campaign for FGU here as I will run it in PF2 now that it is available. The Starter kit, troubles in Otari and Abomination Vaults all use Otari as a hub and also has detailed NPCs and lots of role play opportunities. I am currently running Abomination Vaults with my group. The Otari modules overlap a bit so by the time 'trouble in otari' ends they players are likely lvl 5 which is a bit high to start Abomination vaults but doable. I am also looking forward to release 19. I must say the automation in FGU is the best available and once you and your players learn how the engine works you will also love it.

Remember there is a Discord channel for for Fantasy grounds that is very helpful to quickly ask a question on something and get an answer.
    Ultimate License holder Unity & Classic.
    Currently GM'ing Homebrew Pathfinder 2.

Thread Information