STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Beginner Box issues

I am creating this thread for issues related to using the Beginner Box (which I have just started)

As others have noticed and Trenloe has pointed out, NPC actions that cause saves with effects as failure consequences need to have [FAILURE][CRITFAILURE] appended to them or the Apply all effects "*" button will not trigger them.

My new issue is that the Hell Hound breath Weapon USED: Breath Weapon effect is being set with 0 duration so it never expires. I believe it is supposed to be set to 1d4 rounds.
    Last edited by webdove; April 26th, 2023 at 06:25.

Quote Originally Posted by webdove View Post
    I am creating this thread for issues related to using the Beginner Box (which I have just started)

As others have noticed and Trenloe has pointed out, NPC actions that cause saves with effects as failure consequences need to have [FAILURE][CRITFAILURE] appended to them or the Apply all effects "*" button will not trigger them.

My new issue is that the Hell Hound breath Weapon USED: Breath Weapon effect is being set with 0 duration so it never expires. I believe it is supposed to be set to 1d4 rounds.
    Hey webdove! Thanks for the input!

It's quite possible that the Beginner Box was developed before some of the newer automation features were implemented. It's also possible that I simply missed a spot or two along the way when I worked on the Bestiary for it. Regardless, I appreciate your pointing out what it needs now and I'll get it updated here in short order so that you can enjoy what that product offers to its fullest
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

ShadeRaven has updated the GM Guide files with effect success level automation, and fixed the hell hound cooldown issue. We've asked Smiteworks to push this update as a hotfix outside of the usual Tuesday update cycle. Hopefully the update will be available in the next 24-48 hours - keep an eye on the main update thread in the City Hall forum.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The creature updates were push as a hotfix about 10 hours ago. Run an update and you'll have the new automation. If you've copied any creatures you'll need to create new copies; if you've edited them directly, you may need to right-click on their entry in the campaign data list and "revert changes" to see the new data.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Hello again. With regard to the asterisks (apply all effects).
    I added the spell "calm emotions" to the Beginner Box wizard Ezren and had him use it against the rogue Merisiel once where she critically failed and once where she succeeded.

When I pressed the asterisk on Ezren to apply effects nothing happened in either case even though there are 3 effects listed.

Are there perhaps [FAILURE] and [CRITFAILURE] clauses missing in the effects code for "calm emotions"?

Quote Originally Posted by webdove View Post
    Hello again. With regard to the asterisks (apply all effects).
    I added the spell "calm emotions" to the Beginner Box wizard Ezren and had him use it against the rogue Merisiel once where she critically failed and once where she succeeded.

When I pressed the asterisk on Ezren to apply effects nothing happened in either case even though there are 3 effects listed.

Are there perhaps [FAILURE] and [CRITFAILURE] clauses missing in the effects code for "calm emotions"?
    The calm emotions spell isn't in the Beginner Box, so this isn't a Beginner Box issue. Which module did you get the calm emotions spell from?

EDIT: Wherever the spell came from, if the effects don't have the "Apply to Result State" set in the effect then FG won't know what effect to apply. Open each effect and see what the "Apply to Result State" for the effect is set to.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 1st, 2023 at 23:00.

Oopsie. I ended up buying the Core Rules since there is so much more in there. That is where calm emotions came from.
    I checked Ray of Frost which was embedded in the Ezren PC sheet from the Beginner Book. and Calm Emotions which I dragged from Core Rules to Ezren.
    Ray of Frost has "Apply to Result Stat"= "Critical Success" to apply "SPEED: -10 status". If I do crit with the spell attack, clicking the apply all effects asterisk does nothing. As I cycled the values in "Apply to Result Stat" there is no "Critical Hit" choice so I imagine that asterisk can never work for that spell.
    Ray of Frost has apply to result stat.png

I also checked the Core Rules calm emotion and none of the Apply to Result Stat" are filled in.
    Calm Emotions has no apply to result stats.png

I edited the effects in Calm Emotions to add "Apply to Result Stat" to all of them. Now the Asterix does the right thing for Success, Failure and Critical Failure.
    I will copy this post to the Core Rules thread since it applies to that book.
    Edited Calm Emotions.png

Thread Information