FG Spreadshirt Swag

Thread: Hazards in PF2e

Hazards in PF2e

Hey all,

I've spent some time searching the forums and the net on this question, but I can't seem to find the exact answer I need, so asking here. Can anyone provide some tips on how to go about creating hazards in fantasy grounds. Would that be created as an NPC or an Item or what? I don't see any other 'record' for a hazard per se.

(Specifically I need the green slime, which in D&D was a creature, but in PF2e is a hazard apparently, so that's confusing me on how to do it. As they consider oozes, fungi, and jellies as creatures, but not slimes??)

Thanks!

There's lots of examples of hazards in the Core Rules DLC. Hazards are NPCs with the type set to "Hazard" using the radio buttons at the bottom of the NPC sheet - this will change the fields to those appropriate for a Hazard.

Details on the Green Slime hazard base data can be found here: https://2e.aonprd.com/Hazards.aspx?ID=40
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by krush11 View Post
    (Specifically I need the green slime, which in D&D was a creature, but in PF2e is a hazard apparently, so that's confusing me on how to do it. As they consider oozes, fungi, and jellies as creatures, but not slimes??)
    Is green slime a creature in 5e? Interesting! You might be curious to know that it's actually 5e that is the outlier here - green slime was a hazard rather than a creature at least as far back as D&D 3.5.

Yeah, this is a 2nd edition module I'm converting, so the slime is a creature in here. I knew it was a hazard in 3.5e. I missed the button at the bottom of the NPC record, thanks Trenloe!!

I have done loads of conversions from older versions of D&D to PF2 and I would like to suggest one thing to you - don't worry about matching the original version's creatures (or items, etc) to an equivalent in PF2, use the existing PF2 creatures as a guideline or starting point but adjust as necessary.

A couple of quick examples:
    Green Slime - Yes, it's not a hazard but that doesn't mean _this_ version you are making has to be one, too. Create a new creature and give players a new twist from normal PF2. I wouldn't necessarily make it a true one-to-one conversion from the old (some of the original creatures' powers were quite nasty! Maybe too nasty? Unless that's what you want to have them experience), but you can still create a Green Slime that feels old school but with a more 21st century and PF2 feel.
    Humanoids - So in a lot of the older modules, there are rooms with oodles of creatures in it and a direct conversion just is murder, to be honest. So what I tended to do is create lesser version and more variety in the creatures. For example, a chamber in a typical dungeon crawl might call for 8 orcs in it. That might seem excessive for a 1st level party, even with Orc Brutes, so make use of the weak versions or create new ones that are different and more suitable at those numbers (and obviously, you could always just reduce the numbers as well).

I have had a lot of luck doing these conversions and most of the players have enjoyed experiencing some of the classics (or revisiting them in a new form). Here's hoping you and yours do as well!
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Thread Information