STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Using the Forge to Release “Work in Progress” Extension

A user of one of my extensions has asked me to support the 13th Age Ruleset. It is not a free ruleset, I am told. I don’t wish to purchase it, but I don’t mind working with the user to try to develop support.

Working blind, as it were, it will be a highly iterative process. I would like to publish in-development, work-in-progress copies of the extension through the Forge, but separate from my current released version of the extension. Once we are pleased with the results, I will merge the 13th Age version into my mainline version.

Suggestions on how I might manage the Forge part of this?

I don’t think the “test” channel is the proper way to go about this because I wish to keep my current production, “live” release, available to everyone.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Assuming this is you and one person working together - you do the code and the other person tests it? I wouldn't bother with the Forge - I'd send them the code as I update it - maybe via a shared cloud directory where you can post the new extension and email them to let them know. Otherwise you'll be stuck with the review/approval process in the Forge and other people will also have access to the extension - and some people don't read details so it could lead to confusion.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I will note, that an item can have a live and a test version at the same time, so your normal users, assuming they are using the live channel, would be unaffected by the test channel builds. But if you are only testing with a single person, Trenloe's suggestion might be best.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Github private repo perhaps?
    Thanks. But I abhor GitHub.
    It’s a personal thing.

Blog Entries
    For the dev team on Shadow of the Demon Lord I drop test builds into a private Discord chat and cleanup the old ones as I go.
    It works for us as we are also discussing the changes/bugs etc in that same space.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    …I wouldn't bother with the Forge - maybe via a shared cloud directory where you can post the new extension and email them to let them know…
    I’ve often wondered why we're prevented from doing this through FG’s email service. I’m sure there’s a good reason, I just haven’t bothered to find out what it is…

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    … Otherwise you'll be stuck with the review/approval process in the Forge and other people will also have access to the extension - and some people don't read details so it could lead to confusion.
    I’d fleetingly thought about the submission/approval process, but upon you mentioning it, I hadn’t seriously considered what an arduous process it would be (for everyone). And then as you say there are those who don’t bother to read….

Thanks Trenloe the Forge angle is sufficiently out of the consideration.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; April 13th, 2023 at 02:33.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ju95 View Post
    I will note, that an item can have a live and a test version at the same time, so your normal users, assuming they are using the live channel, would be unaffected by the test channel builds. But if you are only testing with a single person, Trenloe's suggestion might be best.
    To use the Forge “test” doesn’t the user need to be using the FG “test” builds too?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    For the dev team on Shadow of the Demon Lord I drop test builds into a private Discord chat and cleanup the old ones as I go.
    It works for us as we are also discussing the changes/bugs etc in that same space.
    I like this idea. I’m not a great fan of Discord, to me it seems so…. chaotic… But this is a perfect solution. (Provided my user is using Discord)
    Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    To use the Forge “test” doesn’t the user need to be using the FG “test” builds too?
    Yes they do.
    All their rulesets and content would be on Test version (if available).

Thread Information