DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 7 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: 5e Reactions

It's been a while since I've touched this extension for anything.... give me some time to look into it and make sure it's still working before I give you an example.

Cheers, Steve.

This extension is fantastic and works great for checking off the tick box in the combat tracker when reaction are used (For effects with "RCT) in the name.

Is there any functionality for opportunity attacks? Holding SHIFT when making an attack flags it as an opportunity attack ("[OPPORTUNITY]" in the chatlog), as does clicking the "Opportunity" button with Modifiers Extension.

Nice idea @rocketvaultgames
    I'll see if I can't add that in in the next pass over this extension when RL gives me a break.

Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    This extension is fantastic and works great for checking off the tick box in the combat tracker when reaction are used (For effects with "RCT) in the name.

Is there any functionality for opportunity attacks? Holding SHIFT when making an attack flags it as an opportunity attack ("[OPPORTUNITY]" in the chatlog), as does clicking the "Opportunity" button with Modifiers Extension.
    I for one would like this as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Stv View Post
    Nice idea @rocketvaultgames
    I'll see if I can't add that in in the next pass over this extension when RL gives me a break.

Cheers, Steve.
    Another related thought: A way for that "React?" tick box to be visible to and usable by players (maybe optionally?) would be great. I'm asked all the time if an NPC has already used their reaction.

I have no idea how hard that would be and I know you're busy. Thanks!

Surely that's up to the players to pay more attention? :P
    Again a possibility I'm sure, but that one is definately a 'back-burner' addition.

Cheers, Steve.

No worries. Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    Another related thought: A way for that "React?" tick box to be visible to and usable by players (maybe optionally?) would be great. I'm asked all the time if an NPC has already used their reaction.

I have no idea how hard that would be and I know you're busy. Thanks!
    Well in theory, the players shouldn't know this, just as the creatures shouldn't know if the players used theirs. For all the players know the creature could have a skill/feature that allows the creature to not use reactions on things.

Seems like very out of game knowledge that likely shouldn't be displayed to the players at all.

Can you give a use case where players need to know if a creature has used their reaction or not outside of just meta gaming?

I think it's just preference. For my group in this campaign, we enjoy combat as a 'tactical combat game' so some things like this we prefer to be public knowledge.

I also generally like to avoid 'gotcha' moments and increase player agency. Not knowing whether a creature has a reaction available makes the players' actions more of a guessing game than a strategy.

I could definitely see not wanting this... so an option to make it visible and an option to make it editable by players would be ideal in my perfect world.

I do think a case could be made that characters in-game do understand that (essentially all) creatures can only make 1 opportunity attack per round and would know if a creature had used that particular flavor of reaction... Same for Shield, Counterspell, etc.

Thread Information