STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 7 First ... 23456 ... Last

Thread: 5e Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    I think it's just preference. For my group in this campaign, we enjoy combat as a 'tactical combat game' so some things like this we prefer to be public knowledge.

I also generally like to avoid 'gotcha' moments and increase player agency. Not knowing whether a creature has a reaction available makes the players' actions more of a guessing game than a strategy.

I could definitely see not wanting this... so an option to make it visible and an option to make it editable by players would be ideal in my perfect world.

I do think a case could be made that characters in-game do understand that (essentially all) creatures can only make 1 opportunity attack per round and would know if a creature had used that particular flavor of reaction... Same for Shield, Counterspell, etc.
    My table works the same way. Having the option seems to make the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvaultgames View Post
    I think it's just preference. For my group in this campaign, we enjoy combat as a 'tactical combat game' so some things like this we prefer to be public knowledge.

I also generally like to avoid 'gotcha' moments and increase player agency. Not knowing whether a creature has a reaction available makes the players' actions more of a guessing game than a strategy.

I could definitely see not wanting this... so an option to make it visible and an option to make it editable by players would be ideal in my perfect world.

I do think a case could be made that characters in-game do understand that (essentially all) creatures can only make 1 opportunity attack per round and would know if a creature had used that particular flavor of reaction... Same for Shield, Counterspell, etc.
    Totally get it that there are options that each GM would like to play a way they like to play with their players.

By use case I'm wondering is there a use case where officially a player would know if a creature has use a reaction or not.

Example of a use case would be say, if you cast a spell that does damage when the creature moves, the player would need to know that the creature moved in order to apply damage.

Again I'm not faulting your choice in how to run a table, I'm asking if maybe I'm missing something in use cases where player would need to know that information.

I'm happy with more options available to allow people to run games how they run their game, as long as it's not going to affect the other way to play, which if this is an option it shouldn't.

It would appear my test version of this extension that we've been using on my home table has had the opportunity attack functionality in it for a while, :P I'll give it a once over and push it to live in the next day or so.

Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Totally get it that there are options that each GM would like to play a way they like to play with their players.

By use case I'm wondering is there a use case where officially a player would know if a creature has use a reaction or not.

Example of a use case would be say, if you cast a spell that does damage when the creature moves, the player would need to know that the creature moved in order to apply damage.

Again I'm not faulting your choice in how to run a table, I'm asking if maybe I'm missing something in use cases where player would need to know that information.

I'm happy with more options available to allow people to run games how they run their game, as long as it's not going to affect the other way to play, which if this is an option it shouldn't.
    You're having fun wrong!!

For us the primary use case is just knowing without spending the few seconds to ask and have the DM check and reply if a creature if going to be able to make an opportunity attack if the player moves away. If they could see the tick box, they could know for sure before it's even their turn and plan accordingly.

Any way to save even a few seconds can really add up in high-level tactical grid combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stv View Post
    It would appear my test version of this extension that we've been using on my home table has had the opportunity attack functionality in it for a while, :P I'll give it a once over and push it to live in the next day or so.

Cheers, Steve.
    Awesome. Thanks much!!

Just pushed a new build to The Forge which checks for opportunity attacks.
    There is also a new option in the options window to allow checks for opportunity attacks when a character moves, but this can be a bit spammy if you let players run all over the map out of turn :P

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers, Steve.
    Last edited by Stv; April 18th, 2024 at 19:17.

Fantastic! I'll play around with it this weekend and try it out live on Monday night.

I've had this one sat waiting for over 3 months, just forgot about it Hope it doesn't need too many tweaks to be useable.
    I know there are a couple of graphics & text I need to add in, but that's just cosmetics which I'll get round to eventually.

Cheers, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stv View Post
    I've had this one sat waiting for over 3 months, just forgot about it Hope it doesn't need too many tweaks to be useable.
    I know there are a couple of graphics & text I need to add in, but that's just cosmetics which I'll get round to eventually.

Cheers, Steve.
    Really love this, however, I'm afraid it's causing some lag with my tables and others I've seen using it tonight at another table.

I believe too much checking of ranges is happening and likely causing some lag. I easy tested this running all my EXTs with this on, and moved a token around fast all over the map, and it was stutter and pause moving it around.
    Turned off this ext (but left all the rest on) and no stuttering and pauses while moving around fast.

Really love it though, I also do not currently think its TOO spammy, however, maybe at a later date I might.

Might want to look at how AURAs does this range checking as it doesn't seem to lag.

Ok after more testing, I noticed that turning the sound notification off, seems to have fixed the lag issue.

Thread Information