FG Spreadshirt Swag

Trouble with spellcasting abililty (5E)

I've made spellcasting ability for NPCs plenty of times, but having trouble for some reason this time. I've attached three screenshots. The first, the abjurer is from a WOTC module. When I try to replicate the language for the spellcasting ability (second attachment, decaton), the spells do not show up in the combat tracker. But they will for the abjurer. I even went so far as to make a copy of the abjurer (they're read only), and then copy/paste the ability description to the decaton. still won't show in the combat tracker.

As an aside, when i take the more standard text (third attachment, trolan), I also had some trouble with updating just the preamble (leaving the spell list untouched, e.g. 'at will'). So the problem seems to be with 'at will' (etc) rather than '1st level' (etc) (because a copy/paste of trolan in entirety into the decaton worked fine).

Interesting note... the abjurer (original and copy) show ALL spells under innate in the combat tracker, though they do not have an innate spellcasting ability. So, I tried removing the innate spellcasting section from the decaton, perhaps there was a conflict. but... still no spells from spellcasting (even with a copy/paste from the abjurer).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Have you right clicked and Parsed Spells?
    Automatic parsing was disabled some months ago as part of a performance improvement.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Have you right clicked and Parsed Spells?
    Automatic parsing was disabled some months ago as part of a performance improvement.
    I had not, but I tried just now and that did not work. It only parses the innate spellcasting, which it was automatically doing in the combat tracker anyway. It was also automatically parsing (in the combat tracker) the copy/paste of the trolan code into the decaton. Also, both the original and copy of the abjurer have no entries under spells, but they show just fine in the combat tracker (albeit under innate spells, despite coming from 'spellcasting').

If i try righ-click-parse on the abjurer copy, it works but puts all the spells under innate. when i delete the innate spellcasting from the decaton and copy/paste the abjurer spellcasting to the decaton, parse does not work at all.

To clarify, i'm only referring to the spells not showing in the combat tracker, not on the NPC record.

WOTC changed the way spellcasting was written in their NPC stat blocks from the Monsters of the Multiverse module onwards. Spellcasting was moved from traits into actions; and they changed the wording in such a way that it removed spell levels and spell slots, making the spells a number of uses per day. This was pretty much the same way that innate spellcasting worked before the MotM module came out. Effectively what they did was make the spellcasting action innate spellcasting. Since you can only have one innate spellcasting ability FG is only recognising one of them in your example.

In order to achieve what you want you'll need to move both the Innate Spellcasting and the Spellcasting ability into Traits rather then actions. And you'll also have to reformat the spells to the old format which exists in modules prior to MotM. THis will then allow the NPC to have both Innate Spellcasting and Spellcasting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information