DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Preferred Old School Approach

For those into old school gaming, do you prefer your maps as they were back in the day (handdrawn or blue scale) or do you like the old school rules with modern presentation (like maps and sound)?

Blog Entries
    I personally am fine with both; as a DM I use whatever gets the point across. Sometimes that's an old blue/white map and others it's a beautiful Heroic Maps offering.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I tend towards nice new modern maps.

I have used the old school blue maps to make a statement. Using the G1 old school maps to show we were restarting how we do things (the first adventure I ran in FG) and a different random old school map when the group traveled to a different plane and I wanted it all to feel "off".
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

I dislike anything that requires more work as a DM. Hence, while I'm old school as in old, I'm only into the new fangled gadgets (sans bling) that help me run a game as DM.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    For those into old school gaming, do you prefer your maps as they were back in the day (handdrawn or blue scale) or do you like the old school rules with modern presentation (like maps and sound)?
    Modern style for me.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Just preparing to run a AD&D 2e game for the first time with FGU . Been re-reading my nearly falling apart copies of the PHB and DMG (last time I played 2e was 1990 or 91 ) .

Still learning the way of the rule set in fantasy grounds. Anyway modern maps.

I like good looking maps and I have a crap ton I’ve bought or collected over the years…about time I use them.

Old school maps were typically scaled to a 10-foot grid, whereas modern maps use a 5-foot grid. This can cause problems when converting between the two styles, as the map may appear either too crowded or too sparse. This has little to do with the style per-se, but is important to remember since people do convert older material.

Quote Originally Posted by RRFG View Post
    Old school maps were typically scaled to a 10-foot grid, whereas modern maps use a 5-foot grid. This can cause problems when converting between the two styles, as the map may appear either too crowded or too sparse. This has little to do with the style per-se, but is important to remember since people do convert older material.
    Assuming the map is properly sized (meaning the grids are correct, like 50 or 100px per square) you can change the pixel size to 1/2 current size to get 5ft with a 10ft map. The scales will be the same but you'll have 5ft squares.

I tend to do this for all my games. Even in old school you could have multiple people in a 10ft square so it's not against those rules either
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information