Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Blog Entries

Copying and Pasting Text Without Context

I migrate a lot of Adventurers League PDFs to Fantasy Grounds. I use a "shorthand" formatting so that I have the important details without all the fluff. It helps me run more time efficient sessions.

I've notice that copying, cutting and pasting text maintains the paragraph context. And I have found, that in general, for me, this is a major pain-in-butt.

Copying a little snippet from, say a Chat box paragraph type, into the middle of say a heading or a link and having the editor break the heading or link into two with a couple words of chat in the middle is a real nuisance.

The FG wiki, Basic Guides/Basic Actions Formatted Text page, confirms this is the appropriate behavior.

Just by chance, is there a keyboard shortcut, or some such thing that would strip (or copy without) the context into the copy/paste buffer?

Maybe even an extension?

True, I admit I'm persnickety, but it's hard for me to believe others don't find this behavior a bit trying.

(I had hopes for the Windows, strip format, Ctrl-Shift-V, paste, but it doesn't work.)

So far, the quickest method I've found is pasting into the text entry field of the tabletop Chat Box, then dragging that to the intended destination. Cumbersome to say the least.

Example screenshot:
    Untitled.png
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; March 17th, 2023 at 18:48.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Well, it used to be the case that formatting was stripped out when copy/pasting but now it is retained. I know of no way to overcome this (and I find it super duper useful )
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Well, it used to be the case that formatting was stripped out when copy/pasting but now it is retained. I know of no way to overcome this (and I find it super duper useful )
    I have to agree that at times it can be very useful, for instance bolded, italicized, and underlined text, and just copying the link or chat message from one story page another. so the extra key methodology (ctrl-shift-V) would be the most useful way of defeating it.

[EDIT] But I just found out bold, italics and underlining are not maintained. Aargh!!
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; March 17th, 2023 at 21:14.

Blog Entries
    CTRL-J
    Removes line breaks.

CTRL-1 sets to normal paragraph.

So, CTRL-A then CTRL-J

But you can also paste to NPP first. That's what I do to clean it up before pasting into FG. But, it's an extra step.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    CTRL-J
    Removes line breaks.

CTRL-1 sets to normal paragraph.

So, CTRL-A then CTRL-J

But you can also paste to NPP first. That's what I do to clean it up before pasting into FG. But, it's an extra step.
    Sorry, LordEntrails but I'm talking about copy/paste, all within FG.
    I have an extension that I wrote/use that strips out the extra linefeeds/carriages returns, takes care of ligature errors and a host of other stuff for the PDF --> FG part of the migrate.

Once, pasted into FG, if I copy snippets of text from one Story window to another, any formatting that has been done, carries from one Story dialog to another. And even within a window.

Another example might help.
    Untitled.png
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; March 17th, 2023 at 22:09.

Blog Entries
    Meaning that if I put my cursor at the end of Faction: on each link and hit "delete" or Ctrl-J I get this
    And every link points to the Emerald Enclave, irregardless of the label.

Untitled.png

Which is far from helpful! To fix it I need to Ctrl-1 each link, then drag the correct source link on top of it.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters

Blog Entries
    BTW, I can't escape the formatting by typing "FACTION:" somewhere else in the Story and then copy/pasting it, because it will bring "body" format along and I get this:
    Attachment 56747
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    BTW, I can't escape the formatting by typing "FACTION:" somewhere else in the Story and then copy/pasting it, because it will bring "body" format along and I get this:
    Attachment 56747
    I have experienced this behavior at times too. It is like the initial formatting grabs or retains the URL data in addition to just the text and does not shed or release the URL context once it's associated with a line that contains link data.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Blog Entries
    Okay. Talking this through with you guys has helped me come up with a solution for myself.

The PDF import extension that I have does a lot of things to the Clipboard object, like using Chat slash-commands and hotkeys to poke things like bullet points or carriage-linefeeds into the Clipboard, which I then Ctrl-V into a Chat box text. I'll just add another slash-command that copies the Clipboard text to a lua variable, which will clear the formatting, then copy it back into the Clipboard. When I Ctrl-V it into a Story it will be pure unformatted text.

It's an extra step, but for me the most palatable. Thanks for listening to my rants... You guys helped me see the light.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:

Blog Entries
    Glad you got it sorted. Yea, I wasn't very coherent in my reply In short I think adding the CTRL-1 to your script should help you out. But I think you have it figured now?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information