DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

What Does the Pathfinder Core Rule Pack Offer over the Free Ruleset Modules?

I've read the fantashygrounds.com store and the Steam descriptions for the Pathfinder Core Rule Pack, but from what I've read it's not really clear what the DLC offers in addition to the PFRPG Basic Rules, Bestiary, Magic Items and Spells modules you get for free. Is it just a complete library reference for the Core Rulebook, of are there extras? This DLC is on sale in the Steam sale, so I'm interested in buying it if it adds features.

If someone could comment on what this DLC offers over the free modules, it'd be much appreciated.

The Reference Module and Theme are actually a big seller for me.

The reference manual for the Core Rulebook is pretty damned sweet. I've noticed players will try to alt-tab to Archives of Nethys or PFSRD.com to find a rule, and I can usually find it faster in the CRB module itself. With a ruleset as crunchy as PF1e, sometimes this is a real blessing just to have the rules at your fingertips in the application you're already focused on.

Secondly, when I first bought the CRB Ruleset (after using the free modules you're mentioning for several sessions), I fell in love with the theme itself as it really gets the style and feel of the Pathfinder books. I felt the Core RPG theme a bit dated - which I enjoy usually, but with PF I wanted something more intense to mirror the ruleset's pulp.

It was pretty pricey then too, and I didn't buy it on sale. I remember asking the same question to myself; why buy it when the data's all there? For me, having the CRB on-hand and the theme are the reasons I'm happy with the purchase four years later.

These two things are what I think the purchase offers beyond the data, to answer your question.

For me, the CRB was the only required purchase (for the above reasons), since I could add everything else myself should I choose. Over the years, I've broken down and bought many other PF1e products because someone else did the work and I was lazy at the time - but none felt as necessary as the CRB itself.
    Last edited by srbongo; March 16th, 2023 at 22:09. Reason: Fat fingers
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Aside from the theme and reference manual, you get the official art for everything. Community modules are unable to use any art and you would have to supply it yourself in your own modules. Granted it doesn't take too much effort to get the official art from the pdfs and then convert them using photoshop/gimp/image editor of choice.

Aside from the art, the official products will also have other closed content inside of them not able to be shared under the OGL.
    Ultimate License Holder

Running:
    Nothing at the moment.

Time Zone: Central Time (GMT -6)

Many thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by srbongo View Post
    ...I've noticed players will try to alt-tab to Archives of Nethys or PFSRD.com to find a rule, and I can usually find it faster in the CRB module itself. With a ruleset as crunchy as PF1e, sometimes this is a real blessing just to have the rules at your fingertips in the application you're already focused on...
    I always run my Ultimate host on my desktop with 3 LCDs and the core rules PDF (no matter which FG ruleset I'm using) is always opened in 1 of my screens. I personally find searching in the PDF quicker than a FG ruleset's library module. That said, I do like to have the library available for players that don't own the PDF or hardcover and want to look something up. What makes the included theme particularly special and would it be possible for you to post a screen cap of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    Aside from the theme and reference manual, you get the official art for everything...Aside from the art, the official products will also have other closed content inside of them not able to be shared under the OGL.
    Does that art include any tokens or portraits? I find both of those useful and worth getting. I'm assuming you only get the monster tokens that are missing from the free PFRPG Bestiary module if you actually buy Bestiary 1 DLC; is that correct?
    Last edited by kronovan; March 18th, 2023 at 22:58.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    The other reason is of course to support Paizo, Fantasy Grounds and the devs that do the conversions.
    Oh man, if I were to add up all the $ I pitched Paizos way, it'd be a hefty pile of cash. I already own the PF1 Corerule PDF and hardcover, so I'm not so keen to fork out more $ for the digital VTT edition.

Just so you know, if you own the Paizo PDF, and link your Paizo account with your FG account, you get a discount on the FG item (works for most Paizo PDFs).

Quote Originally Posted by DCrumb View Post
    Just so you know, if you own the Paizo PDF, and link your Paizo account with your FG account, you get a discount on the FG item (works for most Paizo PDFs).
    Yes I'm aware of that and my FG account is linked with my Paizo account. However, I buy my fantasyground products via Steam as their FG DLC prices are lower in my country's currency than the fantasygrounds.com store. Even if a Paizo discount is factored in, the Steam price is usually lower. As well, I almost always buy my PDFs via drivethrurpg and I believe that's where I bought my Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook many moons ago. Both of those factors disqualify me from the Paizo discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Blahness98 View Post
    ...Aside from the art, the official products will also have other closed content inside of them not able to be shared under the OGL.
    Sorry for replying again, but I missed this earlier. What is the closed content the DLC contains other than artwork?

I finally bought the DLC in the Steam sale. If someone had mentioned that the Gamemastering tables were included, I probably would have jumped earlier. I'm very happy to see all those tables - BIGGG time saver. Anyhow...I agree about the theme being nice and I'm happy with my purchase.

Thread Information