5E Character Create Playlist

We need a LORE section in FGU

Desperately needed I think in the FGU UI. On the nav bar under camping, we need a LORE option, as well as connectors that rise (or hide) items seen in other places like class/race/etc tied to world building elements.

We have the story, which is the campaign and useful elements, but its structure is tied to that of your module. it's a pain to develop good content in a structured way using this system (possible but a pain) but more so hard to share those elements with your party as the story elements are heavily designed for the DM.

What I propose is this:
    Create a lore category. Allow content creators to specify story element pages as lore (a checkbox is great, better still a dropdown associating it to a world/plane/universe. Items added to lore would be visible to players without having to be specifically shared. ( share a world and general information tied to that world is all shared at once).
    Divide the Lore UI into subsections by lore type as well. include cross references to public maps, cities, history/events, people (add a lore subtab on NPCs where DMs can add player-known info), DEITIES (this is a great place to store them, they barely exist in FGU at all atm), etc. Similar to how the items panel has sub-panels for armor, weapons, etc, these lore components tied to world building should have a similar design, views specific to the type of lore making listing three easy. Objects from here should be available to players once shared by the DM with some items being "general knowledge" as intended by the designer which would be default shared. Lore should be able to be shared to specific players, not just the party as a whole.

Then go a step further and tie races, NPCs, dieties, etc to top level worlds/planes. Filter other views (optionally) based on the DM selected planes that are in play. Let some items be specified as "all" while others could be available only to a selection of planes or just a single one. For any item tied to a lore, be able to specify if that item is "general info" (auto shard to all in the world), "event linked" (the DM shares it on demands, say when they encounter that element in a story, but linked items go with it at once), history check required (player rolls to see what they know, content is revealed by level like a table structure but all items below their roll are revealed).

Players should be able to add their notes to lore as well. They also should be able to drag items from lore to their notes pages (like the diety field). Add a "places I've been" and "NPCs I've met" area on the character sheet as well allowing characters to drag in lore bullets. Once a character knows lore, they should be able to share it with other characters themselves. Once it's in lore, it's essentially copied to the campaign file, so even if the module that information came from is unloaded, the lore components would stay in the campaign. This would make it a lot easier to load and unload modules on a long arching campaign keeping only the content necessary players experienced without having to keep a dozen modules loaded using up resources.

Yea, this is big, complicated, requires a lot of new data fields, huge dev effort. but for those of us who play long term campaigns across dozens of module stories, such a tool is becoming essential. Even just simplified to have a good place to log dieties to tie them to characters, and city/region and history lore that's not buried inside the story element pages would be a huge plus.

Thoughts?

Sounds like what you want is to create a campaign specifically for your lore and export it to a player module so that it's automatically shared with your players and so that you can update or add to it when you want. Preferably using the reference manual rather than story entries.

If that's not what you want then add it to the wishlist, since it'll get a wee bit lost on the forums (link in my signature).

There's also the player agency extension which does at least a part of what you want (if not all of it). https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ency-Extension
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Add this to the Wish List. Link to here from there, and add a link here to your suggestion there. https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

I'm not sure what a new object type/list gets you. From my understanding, this is pretty much just a story with some special links?

A couple of observations from my ~4 year campaign that is finally nearing it's end:
    - Yes it can be a hassle to track all the info. This is mostly because I'm not disciplined. But when I am, creating story groups in the campaign and putting stories into them works well for me.
    - I've learned to use multiple development campaigns for custom content. That way I can unload chapters of the campaign that are no longer relevant (i.e. I had a development campaign/module for my changes to Dragon Heist, and after we moved on from that I unloaded it from the play campaign, but could still load it if needed). I also learned to use a core development campaign for content that would be repeating. Like new NPCs, Spells and Magic Items I always wanted available.
    - Use of some of the community extensions (Journal and/or Player Agency) can help with Player notes. I agree this is an area of the core program that needs improving.

A couple of comments/observations direct to your thoughts:
    - Stories and other objects can already be shared with individual players. Don't use right mouse, drag to character portrait.
    - Planes and deities are not something we use in our campaigns, as well as are not universal through all RPGs so I would be carful spending time accounting for them in specific terms rather than general capabilities. These would be great ideas for community extensions

All in all, great set of ideas

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information