DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

"Theatrical Maps" for Theater of the Mind combats

Here is a basic PSD template you can use. Just replace the background later and export it out as a JPG. If you have any artwork that you own or have the rights to use, please share some cool examples here. It can be done in lots of neat ways to show a forest scene, underdark, etc.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel..._Map_Blank.jpg
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel..._Map_Blank.psd

Here is an example of its usage:

The strategic maps starts at 15m 56s.

Thanks, Doug! I watched you demo this on Friday's stream and was very intrigued....
    Live stream: https://www.twitch.tv/gwydione
    Youtube replays of fg sessions and tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQr...bIpAauZB41z8gA

Free stuff:
    D&D5e FAQ module for fg: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/196704/FAQs
    FG 5e Module Conversions: https://tinyurl.com/y6awo2la
    Map Maker Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y3awlo4b
    Roll Player Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/y399kffz
    Rangers of Shadow Deep Conversion: https://tinyurl.com/rnyrgwg

I find this approach quite interesting. Might try it when my players go into unexpected direction and end in a fight. Any suggestions how to fit it this into game systems where measurements for modifiers or actions are done when combatants are relative to their targets and not to some absolute scale?

Weapons have different modifiers when the target is at different distances or powers function to certain range. Just to name a few examples.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

is there any real difference to the one Celestian posted last month? I mean they are just both images and don't really do anything except sit in the image display, which is all maps are unless you add a grid to them.

or is this going to have other function inside FG other than just being another image with a grid? like show health in this viewing ode, or status effects, etc?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    is there any real difference to the one Celestian posted last month? I mean they are just both images and don't really do anything except sit in the image display, which is all maps are unless you add a grid to them.

or is this going to have other function inside FG other than just being another image with a grid? like show health in this viewing ode, or status effects, etc?
    No it doesn't do anything special. You can watch the posted video just before 16 minutes and you can see an example of how you can use it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

i saw the video, was there when it was live. still wasnt sure, since it was moving so fast, chat was mostly ignored during the show to ask questions. Doug was going so fast moving the tokens around in sections, Dave trying to mention a few things, and it was a hectic non-combat TOTM combat. SOP for D&D games

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    is there any real difference to the one Celestian posted last month? I mean they are just both images and don't really do anything except sit in the image display
    Yes, it "just" sits in the image display... But like any FG map you can add tokens to it, add pointers, use targeting, etc. - all of the usual things you can "just" do with a FG map. More details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Images

The difference with this post, compared to Celestian's, is that Doug has included a PSD file which will allow you to include your own thematic image - to set the scene/mood for the combat.
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 10th, 2018 at 14:47.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Someone requested that I redo the PSD file in RGB mode so it can be opened in GIMP. The new version should now be available at the same link.

@shadzar, sorry. When I was sharing full-screen I was unable to see chat.

@Valyar, you just need to find some way to represent that visually. If different headings make sense, you can swap those out for your system of choice. You will still do your best to describe it verbally. At that point, the image simply aids with that process. This essentially replaces the part where the DM waves his hands in the air to the left and says, "monsters approach from this direction and surround the thief who was scouting, meanwhile you and the rest of the party are back here". Even though you have people in the same range section, they may not necessarily be immediately next to each other. Place the tokens in clusters to represent which groups of people are together or spread out.

I've watched certain famous GMs describe combat and then when the wizard cast fireball they say that it only hit one or two foes. IMO, a good DM should still allow for some tactical planning even when not using a map. If there are three long-range enemies, maybe place two of them together and one off to the side. That way, the player feels like they were clever catching the two together -- or they may decide that catching two isn't a good use of a fireball and instead they opt to deliver a single target spell to completely remove one of the enemies. It's just an extra tool to help players visualize where everything is in relation to everything else.

Example 1:
    • There is a hobgoblin and an iron guard hobgoblin in melee with Radaban. They are all considered engaged and it would take a disengage action to leave without provoking an AOO. They are also not close enough to each other to touch an ally in combat for healing, buffs, etc. unless they move.
    • There is another hobgoblin and a hobgoblin devastator within a single move from where the melee is occurring. They are close enough to each other to be affected by area effect spells that are reasonably small
    • There are two other hobgoblins out at long range but they are not immediately close to each other. They may be close enough to cover under a single area of effect if it is large. Small areas of effect would only catch one of them and none of the close range enemies.

TOTM_hobgoblins.jpg

Example 2:
    • There are two combats occurring in the middle of the battlefield. Warty the Warlock is off fighting a single gnoll while Bob the Barbarian is fighting two bugbears.
    • Rag is hanging way back. He can use long range magic to affect people in melee (and maybe close range) but he is too far away to affect other long range foes. It would take Rag a move action to move in closer.
    • The bearded devil has to at least double-move to make it to close range and then another move to get into melee on round 2. This allows you to telegraph a growing threat. Perhaps the players have an opportunity to cut and run earlier or they are able to cast a wall of force to block him from joining the fight??

TOTM_bugbears.jpg

Doug, thank you for the time spent answering my question. I have much better grasp on idea you presented in the video and when I had time to look from different perspectives at my specific situation, I think I found the approach that will work:

There shouldn't be a problem to use relative distances and modifiers to rolls based on those relative distances if all participants have an absolute starting point to measure their distance between each other. Looking at your images the answer is clear - this is the melee zone. All measurements can start from it, as ground zero, and instead of abstract ranges to have numbers instead. Something like:

Code:
    Out of Combat > 100m > 50m > 25m > 10m> Point Blank > Melee < Point Blank < 10m < 25m < 50m < 100m < Out of Combat
    Also having multiple rows will allow to place melee fighting that occurs at range from the central Melee zone and still be able to retain sufficiently accurate measurement of distance and apply modifiers in a proper manner.

Now i need to get proper sci-fi themed image for the grim darkness of the far future and find victims.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

It would be really nice if FG had a "Theatrical" mode for the "Order" section of the party sheet. Overlay the long/short/melee bits and let us maybe even put a image behind it on the fly.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Thread Information