STAR TREK 2d20

some random notes from our current ongoing campaign

Firstly I want to say that we are having a very good time playing Traveler on FGU. Thank you

next here is a short list of things I find curious. Rather that try to "figure it out on my own" I am posting here to take advantage of the network and to perhaps offer some suggestions or advice from some of our "house rules"

The initiative tracking is rather confusing I'm afraid. With the plus 6 for surprise/ambush for example. Can someone explain the result to me like I'm like 6 years old please. A -2 on initiative ?

Combat Mishap which I've enabled from the options, which auto rolls on a snake eyes. Auto pulls a table which is very nice. However I have a question since we searched for the table and cannot find it in the table menu. Is a higher rolled number worse than a lower number ? We had a character with a +5 in our last combat, he rolled 1,1. The +5 was ported over to the mishap table. Is a benefit or a detriment for the result ?

Parrying is a reaction that doesn't appear to penalize the character in the next round. Unlike a dodge for example. We read the 2022 rules and it didn't clearly say there was a -1 to the ensuing skill check so we ruled that its a "free" reaction. How does every handle this ?

Do you have combat triggers ? As the GM I am toying with allowing it. Of course what is good for the goose is good for the gander. The party will have the vote to decide if they want it, but I was musing about it. Any feelings on this are most welcome.

When toons shoot into an area with foes and friends and they miss the foe, we then roll a second time. However the roll is inversed. Or more clearly if one "hits" with the second roll it results in a miss on a friend.
    Example. Larry targets the Toughie 01 who is in melee with Joe. Larry misses Toughie. Larry then rolls to "miss" Joe. If Larry is successful in his attack he does not "hit" Joe.
    This allows characters with higher skill levels to get a skill bonus to MISS friends

Lastly while fooling around with the map I noticed that holding the SHIFT while in mask mode ENABLES masking rather than revealing the map.
    While on masking is there an option to reveal the map in shapes that are not just squares ? I know its possible in 5e.

tia
    Last edited by donpaulo; February 28th, 2023 at 13:01.
    Ultimate License Holder & FGU backer
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:
    *Opus Christini Traveller campaign

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

I've forwarded your questions to the DLC developer.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Firstly I want to say that we are having a very good time playing Traveler on FGU. Thank you

next here is a short list of things I find curious. Rather that try to "figure it out on my own" I am posting here to take advantage of the network and to perhaps offer some suggestions or advice from some of our "house rules"

The initiative tracking is rather confusing I'm afraid. With the plus 6 for surprise/ambush for example. Can someone explain the result to me like I'm like 6 years old please. A -2 on initiative ?

Combat Mishap which I've enabled from the options, which auto rolls on a snake eyes. Auto pulls a table which is very nice. However I have a question since we searched for the table and cannot find it in the table menu. Is a higher rolled number worse than a lower number ? We had a character with a +5 in our last combat, he rolled 1,1. The +5 was ported over to the mishap table. Is a benefit or a detriment for the result ?

Parrying is a reaction that doesn't appear to penalize the character in the next round. Unlike a dodge for example. We read the 2022 rules and it didn't clearly say there was a -1 to the ensuing skill check so we ruled that its a "free" reaction. How does every handle this ?

Do you have combat triggers ? As the GM I am toying with allowing it. Of course what is good for the goose is good for the gander. The party will have the vote to decide if they want it, but I was musing about it. Any feelings on this are most welcome.

When toons shoot into an area with foes and friends and they miss the foe, we then roll a second time. However the roll is inversed. Or more clearly if one "hits" with the second roll it results in a miss on a friend.
    Example. Larry targets the Toughie 01 who is in melee with Joe. Larry misses Toughie. Larry then rolls to "miss" Joe. If Larry is successful in his attack he does not "hit" Joe.
    This allows characters with higher skill levels to get a skill bonus to MISS friends

Lastly while fooling around with the map I noticed that holding the SHIFT while in mask mode ENABLES masking rather than revealing the map.
    While on masking is there an option to reveal the map in shapes that are not just squares ? I know its possible in 5e.

tia
    Hi Donpaulo,

I'll try and answer this as succinctly as I can for you.

• The initiative tracking is rather confusing I'm afraid - when you roll initiative, you get the effect, not the dice roll, so you can have +X to -X in total. I.e. I roll 8, so my effect is 0, I roll 6 and it's -2.
    • Combat Mishap - that's stored in the ruleset, I can add it to the tables if you'd like (if it's not there). The +5 shouldn't have been carried over, I'll get that fixed.
    • Parrying is not automated in the ruleset, the ruleset is being updated to 2022 rules later this year.
    • There are no Combat Triggers automated, except the Mishaps.
    • Larry shooting Joe, are those house rules, as there's nothing in the rulebook that I can see for this (please point it out).
    • Maps should be handled by CoreRPG/FGU and not the ruleset, I'll ask myself if 5E overrides anything.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Blog Entries
    Use the ALT/Option key for freehand masking.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBeardMan View Post
    Hi Donpaulo,

I'll try and answer this as succinctly as I can for you.

• The initiative tracking is rather confusing I'm afraid - when you roll initiative, you get the effect, not the dice roll, so you can have +X to -X in total. I.e. I roll 8, so my effect is 0, I roll 6 and it's -2.
    • Combat Mishap - that's stored in the ruleset, I can add it to the tables if you'd like (if it's not there). The +5 shouldn't have been carried over, I'll get that fixed.
    • Parrying is not automated in the ruleset, the ruleset is being updated to 2022 rules later this year.
    • There are no Combat Triggers automated, except the Mishaps.
    • Larry shooting Joe, are those house rules, as there's nothing in the rulebook that I can see for this (please point it out).
    • Maps should be handled by CoreRPG/FGU and not the ruleset, I'll ask myself if 5E overrides anything.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Thanks for that MB

Yes, Larry shooting Joe is a house rule

I should have clarified, I wasn't hoping for a automated combat trigger. It was another one of those pesky "house rules"

Yes please port over the table so at least its visible. Very helpful !
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    Use the ALT/Option key for freehand masking.
    Thank you Carl !
    playing D&D since 1980

Currently GMing:

*Currently Playing
    *Currently Looking

Thread Information