STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Kingmaker 2e Companion NPCs

I have been going through the AP and I am curious how to integrate the NPCs in with the main party during play. I have four players but I can see that as they gather more companion NPCs throughout the AP that they will want some to accompany them as the need arises for more difficult missions or for NPC personal quests. I see there are only a few of the NPCs were created as creatures in the Bestiary that is part of the Companion Guide.

My question here is, am I going to need to create all the companions as Characters so they can be added to the party? if not, how should I handle this?

If I do create characters for the NPCs, I can see needing to level them all up as the game goes on as well since I will never know when they might be called upon to help out.

They have a companion guide available in the list of modules. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO2023FG
    Maybe this will help?
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king

That is the book (Companion Guide) I have been looking through and it does not have the NPCs that can be used as characters.

Anyone able to find the answer?

I created them as characters versus NPCs. It makes them easier to level in my opinion. I add the NPC's at various points in my story. I might have them held hostage by a group or monsters but really you can introduce them as you see fit. You just cant run their side quest until the PCs reach a certain level. They made it so it is more sandbox oriented and allows GMs to do as they wish.

As far as level goes you can level them to meet whatever level your PCs are at. So if you introduce one when you're group is 8th level you can increase the NPCs level. They make great companions, Kingdom fill ins for whatever roles your players are missing, as well as new adventurers that your players can use in the event a players character is killed. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Darmok View Post
    Anyone able to find the answer?
    Never really got one.

I have decided to create an the companions as Characters so I can use them throughout the AP. I have used the Companion Guide as reference and built a few of them in Pathbuilder2e up to the max level they show in the Companion Guide. The guide only shows the NPCs at first and again at the level they should be at for their companion quests. So, even if they are/were in the FGU module that way, there would be no way to effectively use them at all the other levels.

The book is really good at listing what feats they get for each category and most of them lined up quite well in Pathbuilder2e. Once I have them all built I will just add them into FGU and level them up as my players level up. At least then automations that are in the ruleset will work and I will have less to build like I would have if I had created NPC records for them. I don't even think you can level up an NPC, so I would have had to build a seperate record for each character and at each level. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargrove View Post
    I would have if I had created NPC records for them. I don't even think you can level up an NPC, so I would have had to build a seperate record for each character and at each level. No thanks.
    And that is what made me create them as PCs rather than NPCs. Just seemed like too much work.

I have created a grid to track Companion Influence if anyone wants it.Influence Grid.png

I just made it an image record, added an invisible grid to it, and placed letter tokens starting them all at 0 so I can keep better track.

Thank you for the fast response!

Thanks Stargrove! I wasn't sure if they had been Prebuilt and ready to drop into FGU and I was just missing something. However, based on yours and UltimateGM's response it doesn't appear that they were. It makes total sense to build them as PC vs NPC for the all the reasons you listed and TBT it'll be nice to have them as PC's as we move from adventure to adventure. Thanks again!!

Thread Information