5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Recurring Issues with Fixes - MacBook Air M1 | MacOS Ventura 13.2

I wanted to call attention to two issues that I had in the past 24 hours that have happened before (my apologies if this is not the place for this.)
    I have a terrible memory, but when I did searches for these issues, I found one of my own posts as well as other users' posts I remembered reading the last time. I've listed the fixes for each issue, but I have to wonder if these are recurring problems, something I am doing, just bad luck, or something completely different?

Issue: Last night FGU would crash every time I launched it.
    Fix: Delete "~/Library/Preferences/unity.SmiteWorks.Fantasy Grounds.plist" and reboot. I also ran an update at this time. I'm not sure it was needed but I wonder if it caused the next issue.

Issue: Today I couldn't run an update. Clicking Update in FGU would close FGU but not start an update. Trying to manually run an update resulted in an error.
    Fix: Restore execute permission with "chmod a+x" on "FantasyGroundsUpdater.app/Contents/MacOS/FantasyGroundsUpdater".

FGU: 4.3.2 Ultimate
    FGUUpdater: 4.1.1
    Hardware: Macbook Air M1

Thanks for reporting. I think it's a bit of a case of coincidence.

The two issues that you saw are ones we know about.

* The first is a limitation of the Unity game engine that FGU is built on that seems to be triggered by using multiple monitor or extended desktop modes; and unfortunately is something I'm hoping that the Unity team fixes in this year's refresh (around summer).

* The second has something to do with permissions not getting set correctly when updating. It's not always a consistent issue; so I haven't been able to recreate locally. It's on my short list to monitor and find a way to recreate and address.

Regards,
    JPG

I've had the second problem on my Intel based Mac, both on Monterey and now Ventura. Both up to date. Luckily I don't get an error when I update direct from the updater.

Friend of mine is having both issues with his Mac Book Air. He has to completely reinstall every time he goes to log in the next game. He is wanting to run games, but I don't blame him for not wanting to buy Fantasy Grounds when it crashes and refuses to update every week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoker View Post
    Friend of mine is having both issues with his Mac Book Air. He has to completely reinstall every time he goes to log in the next game. He is wanting to run games, but I don't blame him for not wanting to buy Fantasy Grounds when it crashes and refuses to update every week.
    More details, including FG and system logs would help the devs figure out what is going on.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's always good to start a new thread, if the thread is more than 3 months old.

Having more information about what is going on would help tremendously. I'm not sure what you mean by "both issues" specifically; so if your friend could walk me through what he is doing, that will probably help.

* Does the FG application install?
    * Does the FG application run after installation?
    * If it runs the first time and not subsequent times, how is the user setting up their screen? Are they running multiple monitors? Do they stretch across multiple monitors?

* If the issue is that FG does not start up after the first time, can you have your friend please post the following log file?
    ~/Library/Logs/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/Player.log

Note: We are aware of a permissions issue when performing the update from initial installation to the updated installer that we're working on; and the fix is noted in the first post.

Thanks,
    JPG

Hi. I have a brand new M2 MacBook Air running Ventura 13.4 to which I just transferred all the data from my old computer today. I launched FGU and pressed the Check For Updates button, and I *believe* the update was a new updater. After that installed, Check For Updates was still lined in red, so I pressed it again, and the program quit immediately. I saw in a Fantasy Grounds - Version 4.4.0 announcement a section that read:

NOTE: If you are running on Mac and the Check for Updates just disappears partway through updating, please follow the steps in this troubleshooting article:
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...n+after+update/
    (There is an issue with the older Mac updater not self-updating correctly that has to be fixed by updating.)

Unfortunately, when I press the link, I get the message, "Safari can't open the page because Safari can't find the server." I'm not even sure this link is what I need for my problem.

I thought that perhaps this was a Ventura issue, but when I opened my old computer, which is a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.6.6, the same thing happened. I launched FGU and pressed the Check For Updates button, and I *believe* the update was a new updater. After that installed, Check For Updates was still lined in red, so I pressed it again, and the program quit immediately.

Back on the MacBook Air, I launched the FGUpdaterEngine and updated directly from that. I now have v4.4.0 ULTIMATE (2023-06-13), as opposed to v4.3.8 ULTIMATE (2023-04-27), which is still on my old computer. If I launch the updater again, it says Update Complete. But if I press the Update button, it downloads a 29.7MB FantasyGroundsUpdater, which I think is the original download that started this issue. Pressing the Check For Updates button in FGU causes it to quit immediately.

I am somewhat computer illiterate, so I hope I gave you enough information. Please help! Many thanks.

Make sure that you click on the link; not try to copy the link from the post. The forum software truncates that visual display, but the link is still good.
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...n+After+Update

The gist of the fix is to open the Terminal application on your Mac, and run the following command:
    chmod -R +x "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.app"

Or, if that gives an error, then try this one:
    sudo chmod -R +x "/Applications/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.app"

Regards,
    JPG

Dear Moon Wizard,

Many thanks! FYI, I did click on the link in the post, and I got the message I related above. When I pressed on the link you posted, it went to the url with no issues.

Updater Issue

Regarding the updater issue, I resolved it with a fresh install. The check for updates button no longer closes FGU without updating. Clicking the button now prompts an update as usual.

Thread Information