5E Character Create Playlist

Calendar modification for HackMaster

Hello, everyone!

Lurker coming forth, after having been a member for a very long time. I have made my first mod, and though it is quite simple, I am nonetheless proud. It is a mod for use with HackMaster and provides a multilingual calendar. My goal is to include all the languages I can get my hand on, but presently it is offered in Norwegian Nynorsk, Norwegian Bokmål, English, German and Latin. More languages will be added as I get access to translations. If you have a language currently not present (I am awaiting Brazilian Portuguese from a friend and Tagalog from another), feel free to PM me or message me on this board.

I would most certainly welcome any and all kinds of feedback on the mod. Objective criticism can only make me better.

Below will follow a copy of the readme file. Once this thread is live, I will add it to the mod, then when it is uploaded and approved, provide a link for the mod in this post.
    Last edited by CannedMan; February 9th, 2023 at 16:52.

From the readme file

Esteemed collegue!

Thank you for downloading and studying this small contribution of mine. This
    calendar module, v. 1.0 released 3.2.2023 (for you poor Americans who do not
    follow the international standard (yet?), that is the 3rd of February),
    contains the following complete calendars:
    • HackMaster-kalender (NN and NB):
      the standard calendar translated to Norwegian nynorsk/bokmål
    • HackMaster Calendar (EN):
      the standard calendar in English
    • HackMaster-Kalender (DE):
      the standard calendar translated to German
    • HackMaster: Kalenda dominus excarnificandī (LA):
      the standard calendar translated to Latin
    • HackMaster, calendário de (PT-BR)
      the standard calendar translated to Brazilian Portuguese

My goal is to include any and all languages used by the HackMaster community.

The icon for the calendar is my own. You may use it in derivative work,
    provided you credit me by my full name (Tor-Ivar Krogsæter).

The calendar itself was created by Kenzer & Company and is wholly their
    property. It probably is a trademark.

As for me, you may use this calendar to your heart’s content. If you would like
    to contribute translations, I would be very happy to receive those. My current
    plan is to include the following additions:
    • French, one each for Canadian and Parisian French if need be
    • Italian
    • Spanish
    • Portuguese, currently only confirmed for Brazilian Portuguese
    • Swedish
    • Danish
    • Icelandic
    • Finnish
    • Old Norse

Should you have any other languages you would like to add, please send me a
    message. You can reach on the HackMaster Discord (@CannedMan#6260) or by
    email to [email protected].

Yours truly in hacking,
    Tor-Ivar Krogsæter

CALENDAR OVERVIEW

Days of the week

Language Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7
    English Diaday Pelsday Katarday Fireday Homeday Godday Veshday
    Norwegian Nynorsk/Bokmål diadag pélsdag katardag arndag heimdag gudsdag vesjdag
    German Diatag Pelstag Katartag Feuertag Heimtag Gotttag Veschtag
    Latin (diēs ~) Diæ Pēlis Katāris ignis domūs deōrum Vescis
    Brazilian Portuguese diadia pelsdia katardia fogodia lardia deusdia vexdia

Months of the year
    Language Month 1 Month 2 Month 3 Month 4 Month 5 Month 6 Month 7 Month 8 Month 9 Month 10 Month 11 Month 12 Month 13
    English Renewal Sowing Mustering Declaration Mid-Season Harvest Replanting Siegehold Arid Reaping Harvest Frosting Snowfall Famine
    Norwegian Nynorsk/Bokmål fornyinga såinga mønstringa erklæringa midthøstinga attsåinga kringsettinga/beleiringa tørka slåtten innhøstinga frosten snøfallet hungeren
    German Erneuerung Säen Musterung Erklärung Mittenernte Umpflanzsen Belagerung Dürre Heuen Ernte Frost Schneefalle Hunger
    Latin renovātiōnis sēminandī recēnsendī dēnūntiātiōnis messis mediæ resatiōnis obsidiōnis āridus falcis messis gelūs cāsūs nivis famis
    Brazilian Portuguese renovação semear juntar declaração estação meio da colheita / da vindima resemear assediar árido segar colheita vindima gelar nevada fome

Notes on the languages

Norwegian

The translation is by Tor-Ivar Krogsæter with the kind assistance (and patience) of my game groups, especially my wife Kjersti Gjerde Krogsæter and Yngvild Marie Kaarbø Wiese, and our friends Erik-Johan Henriksen and Isak Andreas Waag Rosvold. Names are in lowercase to hint the user that names of days and months are not capitalised in Norwegian writing; further, Norwegian phonetic rules for spelling are used, thus Veshday is Vesjdag; strictly speaking, the spelling Veshdag in Norwegian should be pronounced Ves-h-dag, and is therefore wrong. (The names of the moons are therefore Vesjemo, Pelselond and Diadolai.)

The only difference between the Nynorsk and Bokmål versions, is the name for the seventh month: ‘beleiringa’ is a Bokmål word; ‘kringsettinga’ works in both Bokmål and Nynorsk, but the prior is to some extent preferred in military contexts in Bokmål. But then there is, of course, ‘Kringsatt av fiender, gå inn i din tid’; it is therefore, by no means, unheard of in Bokmål as well. In military jargon though, the situation of being besieged is more commonly expressed by ‘beleira’ in Bokmål and ‘kringsatt’ in Nynorsk.

English

There are no special notes to add to this. The names of days and months are straight from Kenzer & Company and are their property.

German
    The translation is by myself. Should any German speakers out there have feedback on my attempt, I will very warmly welcome any such.

Latin

The translation is by myself. Alessandro Oliveira (see Portuguese below) provided valuable feedback and convinced me of choosing renovō rather than refricō as the verb for renewal. I did honestly think of renovō first, but I liked the meaning found for refricō: ‘I excite afresh, I renew’. There was an interesting active meaning to it. However, Alessandro steered my towards better decisions.

This was truly a tricky one. I chose for the most part to choose the genitive of the gerund, but I am not entirely sure that is the best option. Any classicists out there who can contribute to this, are more than welcome to voice their opinion.

Days in Latin are traditionally said as ‘day of x’, so diēs [something in the genitive]. However, there is presently no way to choose how the day is abbreviated, so calling the days by their full name in Latin, means the calendar view lists ‘di.’ seven times. I therefore chose to list only the latter half of the name. The full names are as follows:

• diēs Diæ
    • diēs Pēlis
    • diēs Katāris
    • diēs ignis
    • diēs domūs
    • diēs deōrum
    • diēs Vescis

Most of the world is not English, and so I here chose to not use English capitalisation rules.

The months of the year follow the same grammatical rule, thus mēnsis [something in the genitive]. I have further chosen gerundives where a suitable noun doesn’t exist. I made the following decisions:

• Renewal:
      I originally chose, as mentioned above, refricō, but after some careful consideration, I went for renovō as suggested in discussion with Oliveira.
      Thus mēnsis renovātiōnis: ‘the month of renewing’
    • Sowing:
      The English word semen is from Latin sēmen, originally meaning ‘seed’. From this comes the verb sēminō, ‘to seed’, yielding the gerundive sēminandus.
      Thus mēnsis sēminandī: ‘the month of seeding’ or ‘the month in which seeding should be done’.
    • Mustering:
      Here I went for recēnseō. It has numerous meanins, including to count or enumerate; review, examine, survey or mustering; or go over, revise or review. As for most things Roman: If it can be connected to administration, it can be connected to the army, thus it is a good choice for ‘to muster’.
      Thus mēnsis recēnsendī: ‘the month of mustering’ or ‘the month in which mustering should be done’.
    • Declaration:
      This one would think would be quite straight forward, but just because there is an English word of Latin origin, does not mean that that word still is the best choice. Dēclārātiō indeed means a declaration, but its primary meaning is ‘of/from’ + ‘brighten, lighten, illuminate; clarify’. I instead chose dēnūntiātiō: ‘indication, intimation, announcement, declaration’, but also other suitable meanings such as ‘injunction’, ‘admonition’ and a ‘legal summons’. There is much more force behind this choice; it is therefore much more suitable.
      Thus mēnsis dēnūntiātiōnis: ‘the month of decleration/admonition’.
    • Mid-Season Harvest:
      Here we are in need of three words: one for mid, one for season and one for harvest. Mid is easy: medius, -a, -um. I chose to ignore the word ‘season’. For harvest, there were some options: I could have gone for the verb metō (‘reap, harvest’), but given that Latin has a noun (messis, messis), I naturally chose that.
      Thus mēnsis messis mediæ: ‘the month of the middle harvest’.
    • Replanting:
      There are two Latin satiō: one meaning ‘to satisfy’ (from satis), the other meaning sowing (from serō). As above, given that there is a noun meaning ‘sowing, planting; sowing time’, I went for this and added re-.
      Thus mēnsis resatiōnis: ‘the month of resowing/replanting’.
    • Siegehold
      Who’d’ve thunk Latin had a word for such horrible things? And a noun at that? The noun obsidiō comes from obsideō (‘before’ + ‘sit’: ‘besiege’). An option would be to take the verb and use the gerundive for ‘the month of besieging’ or ‘the month in which siege should be held’, but that is at best clumsy.
      Thus mēnsis obsidiōnis: ‘the month of siege’.
    • Arid
      The word is Latin (to English via French) and goes back to Proto-Italic *āzidos. Given that month is masculine in Latin it is quite straightforward.
      Thus mēnsis āridus: ‘the dry/parched/withered month’.
    • Reaping
      Again my instinct turns to a gerundive, this one of metō: ‘I reap, harvest’ and so forth. (Incidentally, it also has a military metaphor: ‘I mow down, cut down in battle’. How surprising‽) According to Wiktionary, it is cognate with English mow and meadow, as well as Welsh medi (‘reap’) amongst many more. An other option is the derived messis, messis, but I used that for harvest. Cassel suggests (dē)metō, as well as frūctum capere, percipere. Finally, there is the scythe, or reaping hook, which is falx, falcis. I like the sound of the latter; it is strong and powerful, and though my first attempt chose the gerundive construction of mēnsis metendī, I find mēnsis falcis very much to my liking.
      Thus mēnsis falcis: ‘the month of the scythe/reaping-hook’.
    • Harvest
      This has already been covered above under Mid-Season Harvest.
      Thus mēnsis messis: ‘the month of harvest’.
    • Frosting
      It might surprise you that Roman Latin had words for snow, frost, ice and so forth, but Italian winters can get quite nippy, in fact to the extent of people dying of cold. The fourth declension noun gelus, gelūs (or gelū, gelūs) with a proper, identifiable accusative gelum goes back to ancient Latin according to Wiktionary, and so I choose that form. Here is further yet another example of the importance of preserving vowel length! Mēnsis gelus most certainly be a ‘People who are called Roman they go a house’!
      Thus mēnsis gelūs: ‘the month of frost/cold/chill’.
    • Snowfall
      As above, there are words for snow (nix, nivis), and snowfall my Norwegian dictionary specifically listed: ‘n-is casus (snøfall)’. Thus mēnsis cāsūs nivis: ‘the month of the falling of snow’ or ‘the month in which snow may/should fall’.
    • Famine
      Oh, the Romans most certainly experienced famine. The struggle of the classes would probably not have gone as it did were it not for people not getting to eat. Take note of the vowel length of famis: fāmis is the dative/ablative plural of fāma, fāmæ (‘fame, rumour’) whilst famis is the genitive of famēs: ‘hunger’.
      Thus mēnsis famis: ‘the month of hunger’

Blog Entries
    Awesome work, thanks for sharing. Almost makes me want to play HackMaster!

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Awesome work, thanks for sharing. Almost makes me want to play HackMaster!
    That’s awesome to hear! It is, of course, as the books themselves declare proudly: ‘The greatest roleplaying game known to man.’ I found it thanks to a Google+ group; I was looking for something to solve some issues I had with D&D at the time, and HackMaster was just the thing I was looking for. I have gone back to running a small 3.5 campaign again, and am enjoying it quite a lot, but my main game for the past eight years or so has been HackMaster.

For those Filipino friends amongst us, I am happy to tell that I will soon get a translation to Tagalog too, thanks to my wonderful sister-in-law. If anyone here are Finns, Icelanders, Swedes or Danes, I would be happy to receive suggestions; I could probably cook up a version in Danish and Swedish myself, but feedback from native speakers is always helpful. Finnish and Icelandic are too difficult for me to trust any suggestion by myself, but I am very interested in suggestions.

I see there still are two posts that haven’t been mod/admin approved yet; I hope they will be posted soon.

Finally, the mod is still pending approval; I was told on the Discord that I should expect it to take a week.

Blog Entries
    Normally posts don't get set to pending moderator approval so we are not used to looking for that. I've approved them now. Don't ever hesitate to let us know if it happens again.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Normally posts don't get set to pending moderator approval so we are not used to looking for that. I've approved them now. Don't ever hesitate to let us know if it happens again.
    Thanks for that. Can you please delete post number four? It was by error posted twice (you can see it is a copy of post #2).

Update: I am still awaiting approval from Kenzer & Company; until approval is given, I cannot upload the mod to the Forge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CannedMan View Post
    Thanks for that. Can you please delete post number four? It was by error posted twice (you can see it is a copy of post #2).
    Done

Months of the year
    Language Month 1 Month 2 Month 3 Month 4 Month 5 Month 6 Month 7 Month 8 Month 9 Month 10 Month 11 Month 12 Month 13
    English Renewal Sowing Mustering Declaration Mid-Season Harvest Replanting Siegehold Arid Reaping Harvest Frosting Snowfall Famine
    Italian Rinnovo Semina Adunata, but reading what you wrote in another post it could be Revisione, Esame o Sondaggio. I'm not clear what you mean. Dichiarazione o Denuncia (arc. Denunzia) Vendemmia (o raccolto) di Mezza Stagione Reimpianto, but it hasn't a good sound in italian. This word is commonly used for example when a dentist reimplants a prosthesis. Assedio Arido Mietitura Raccolto Gelo, if I've understood what you mean Nevicata Carestia

I hope this may help
    Last edited by Xarxus; March 21st, 2023 at 18:25.
    FGU ULTIMATE License
    Click here for RPG Music or here for Dwarves songs on Spotify

Thread Information