5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Which books to get for either Pathfinder edition

Last question - not really for this thread but it need not go into detail.

If I wanted to try out either or both of PFs.

What would be the min books to get? To get the core feel of the game, which can be more than Core book- I don’t want every splat as that’s the main turn off why I never got into PF1. I loved the main book then by the time I COULD play, there weee too many “extra books”, more even than old 3.X. And I don’t mean just price - I mean, too many options!

I like a broad amount of classes (like Hyperborea for example) but a more limited amount of specialization choices (ie not 10 “feats/prestige” option books.). Also, some rules expansions are good. To either make more gritty or more streamlined, options are OK. But big-picture vs never-ending.

So, I may be looking at the wrong system but if I wanted to try PF1 or PF2 or both (due to some cool existing PF1 content I have) what would be the:

1. Immediate buys.
    2. The should buy
    3. Others you think are great but not in 1 or 2 (obviously don’t try to give an exhaustive list, more intended to let me know current “feelings”)

I moved this post to a new thread as it really had little to do with the thread you posted in.

I'll leave others to comment.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

If you're going to try out PathFinder 2, I would highly recommend getting the current Humble Bundle, redeeming it on Paizo's site, then syncing it with SmiteWorks so you can get the discount of the PDF prices off the books in FG. While it could be looked at that you're getting the PDF's and the FG content at a discount, they have the deal that goes the other way too, if you buy the FG Paizo content, you get the PDF on Paizo's site to download. Either way, it's a very customer friendly policy and I'm estatic that Paizo and SmiteWorks worked that deal out for the customers benefit. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/s...er-paizo-books

No matter which version you try out, I would definitely start with the core rule book. If your entirely unfamiliar with the systems then a beginner adventure geared toward learning the system would be beneficial to you and your players. (PF1- Crypt of the Everflame , PF2 Fall of Plaguestone) I would also make sure to grab a bestiary or two. If you plan on playing in Golarion then a few setting books would certainly help. That is a good start I think. As BaneTBC stated above there is a great sale going for PF2e on humble bundle. Good luck and happy gaming.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be the blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king

If you want an all-in-one intro for PF2 then the Beginner Box is exellent: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...ZOSMWPZO2106FG

It's part of the current humble bundle, it'll cost you $25 if you already own the PDF.

Above that, there's the 2E Core Rules and Maybe the Advanced Players Guide - which will give you lots of option in terms of classes, ancestries and versatile heritages.

Then it will depend on what you're doing next - if you're the GM and you will be homebrewing the campaign, then you'll need at least Bestiary 1. If you're going to run one of the adventure DLCs then you might not even need Bestiary 1.

Quite a few people do this:
    1. Run the adventure in the Beginner Box
    2. Run the follow up Troubles in Otari adventures. Maybe migrate to the Core Rules or continue playing the beginner box up to level 4.
    3. Migrate to Core Rules (if you haven't already) and then play Abomination Vaults

For the above you'd need: Beginner Box, Troubles in Otari adventures, Core Rules, Abomination Vaults adventure path - all of which are in the current Humble Bundle. This would be enough to keep you adventuring for many sessions. A lot of this would be dungeon exploration/adventuring - if dungeon centric adventures aren't your style then you could try some of the other adventure paths and start using the core rules after playing the adventure in the Beginner Box.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 9th, 2023 at 14:36.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    If you're going to try out PathFinder 2, I would highly recommend getting the current Humble Bundle, redeeming it on Paizo's site, then syncing it with SmiteWorks so you can get the discount of the PDF prices off the books in FG. While it could be looked at that you're getting the PDF's and the FG content at a discount, they have the deal that goes the other way too, if you buy the FG Paizo content, you get the PDF on Paizo's site to download. Either way, it's a very customer friendly policy and I'm estatic that Paizo and SmiteWorks worked that deal out for the customers benefit. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/s...er-paizo-books
    I second this so much. You get the beginner box, core rules and a ton of other adventures and content. What a good bundle!!

Thanks guys. I have the PF1 Core Rules as my only physical book (plus the PDF) - I bought it many years back while WotC was still on 4E. But I wasn’t playing and RPGs then (diaspora) only read through it.

At one point I backed a humble that stuck a lot of PDFs in my Paulo account including their world etc. if I try this out, it will not likely be in their world. I’d more likely use The Lost Lands from FGG with whatever weird mixing I normally add.

But I was thinking and wondered if I should instead check out PF2 instead. But I feared asking it that way, couching it in “what would I need for either” because I don’t follow PF and have no clue if PF1/2 is a big sore thing or contention or even simply X is way better than y ongoing argument and didn’t want to feed that.

But my question on PF1 “what books” was not just cover. I already probably own all the PDFs for it that I need (using my minimalist preferences since I have so many titles from 2 bundles) but it is too much (common thought for me) so I wanted to know if there were general consensus on core then if want little more of the should have there’s Set B which is Vore plus players options 1/2/3 and GM’a Advanced Book and finally Combat Coolness I&II (obviously making crap up) then sets C and more which is probably too many books and options for me

Then, I own no PF2. I see the bundle and looks great - but still the question of curation comes to mind. From that (and any missing) what would be a good “set” to use to start once I’ve tried JUST Core in first couple?

Again, maybe if you know it - thinking back to more OSR like AD&D 2E with selected Combat & Player Options rules from those splat books. I mainly played 1E but I found 2E fine as well when we eventually tried it.

Is PF1 (based off 3.5) a more AD&D than PF2 based off I assume PF1 and some of same inspirations for 5E?

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    Then, I own no PF2. I see the bundle and looks great - but still the question of curation comes to mind. From that (and any missing) what would be a good “set” to use to start once I’ve tried JUST Core in first couple?
    This is really already answered above. If you want more specifics, then you're going to have to be more specific - are you wanting to run published adventures? Are you going to be home-brewing adventures? How many different options do you want for the players - more classes? More ancestries? More spells? Let us know what you're looking for - otherwise I'll just say buy it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is really already answered above. If you want more specifics, then you're going to have to be more specific - are you wanting to run published adventures? Are you going to be home-brewing adventures? How many different options do you want for the players - more classes? More ancestries? More spells? Let us know what you're looking for - otherwise I'll just say buy it all!
    Hehe

Mainly I want only a rule system to look at to possibly use. I don’t care about adventures because I have ones I’d want to run, mainly one already written for PF1 that was huge.

But PF is always about a zillion options in classes, fears etc. what I’d hoped to hear is there is a PF2 “core” set of rules that gives cool options without being spread across 12 books with tons of OP and manipulatable combos/dips and whatever. But I suspect as I think on this and write that no matter what I did, even confining it to a more vanilla version “feature creep” would ensue.

I wanted an excuse to load up a cool new FG ruleset (with full core books) to mess with but I guess I am just built for older systems due to my “play from character, not character sheet” upbringing. It’s not better (heck it’s not even more popular! 3.X and later PF & 5E brought people to the table) but I think I’d only ever run 1E/2E and systems like S&W and Hyperborea (maybe try OSE with regular moon OSE adventures) with occasional DCC Lankhmar stuff.

I guess putting this in writing has made me realize I like the idea of an alt to 5E “modern” system but PF is too much about character/class build/design and mechanics for me.

But… at $25 I guess I can get the bundle and read the adventures for inspirations and maps. I’d hoped to use it in our VTT but… I’m better off sticking to Cel’s amazing 2E ruleset. I want to like PF, but when I try to explain what I want, it seems I am describing something non PF.

Sorry, truly, for going on so long pointlessly.

At least a charity will get some cash cos the plug for Humble made me realize it would be cool to flip through at least even if I never intend to play it. Just can’t justify getting it on FG if I never will. Bah.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    … How many different options do you want for the players - more classes? More ancestries? More spells? Let us know what you're looking for - otherwise I'll just say buy it all!
    The especially dumb thing about my question is I was asking “what’s a good variety of cool classes and stuff* but not too much”

As if someone who hasn’t known me and played with me for years can actually know how to answer that.

* = Hell, I know NOTHING about PF enough to know wtf ancestries are and what spells are basic or extra etc.

Haha nm, I see how ridiculous I was asking in this way - if I want to try it, I need to find time to play in someone’s game and get a feel for it. Mebbe, around the holidays when I take my usual long vacation - I can fit some in.

Thread Information