FG Spreadshirt Swag

Highlighted Reference Manual Search

In a reference manual search is there any way to indicate the text within the manual's text? It currently points to the associated expanded subchapters, but I'm looking to take it further by indicating the searched text with something like a highlight. Such as within a web browser using the Find menu (Ctrl+F) will highlight the text so you can more easily find it in a long page of text. I'm not certain if an actual highlight would work because of how FGU operates. Maybe a change in format, like boldening with a color shift. I'm new to developing extensions and I'm considering developing this. Unless one exists and I can't find it? Or maybe it's impossible because of how a reference manual operates? Which is why I ask the mighty forums.

Mostly this comes up in play when as GM I'm waiting on a player to take their turn and I want to casually look up a more obscure rule for future actions. As a direct example, yesterday a PC found a crossbow and I wanted to look up the Loading property in the 5e Players Handbook reference manual. Currently, because FGU will pull up the entire Weapons section and I have to take the time to scan the text for the search term I'm using, I'll instead leave FGU for a PDF or a browser and search far more quickly. However, for myself as GM and my players, I try to discourage leaving Fantasy Grounds for another application. In an effort to both conserve our PCs' resources and opening a browser can be distracting.

I've moved this to the Workshop forum - which is the best place to ask about coding. The "Extensions" forum is for sharing completed extensions with the community.

I don't think that's possible with an extension - as the usual controls used in display text in the reference manual are formatted text controls which, unlike the string control, don't have an API mechanism to highlight text.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I've moved this to the Workshop forum - which is the best place to ask about coding. The "Extensions" forum is for sharing completed extensions with the community.

I don't think that's possible with an extension - as the usual controls used in display text in the reference manual are formatted text controls which, unlike the string control, don't have an API mechanism to highlight text.
    Thanks for the explanation and the links, Trenloe! Good to know it's not within the API to control. Hrmm, so this might be an uphill battle against something that FGU can not do, I'll try to do some poking around and think about a creative solution Like maybe a reference manual search that turns every paragraph into a sub-sub-chapter , so at least it gets you the paragraph. Or a scroll bar that highlights on the bar where the text is within. I realize a lot of the reference manuals are locked up due to copyright. And I'm new to developing my own FGU adaptations so this might have to sit while I learn by playing around with other's extensions and modules that I have. Also, funny thing is, I started typing this in Workshop, but then I saw the Extensions forum and incorrectly second-guessed myself. Doh! Thanks for the fix.

Will do!

Thread Information