DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I don't know why I'm bothering but... some of the same old supposed justifications are being raised again. FG is a full software program, not an app or a website and it exists in a niche segment of what is still itself a niche market.

Not knowing how to install software. In 2023. And incapable of being walked through "click this URL, download and launch the installer, go with the default options." OK.

Not wanting to install software I can see, but then I wonder whether the person really wants to game in the first place.

This is right up there with the old "Double click? What's that?" and "Right click? What's that?" and "I couldn't install the software because I don't know where I put my computer."

Although to be fair, there are people who lack basic computer usage skills, but I wonder what these people are doing looking to play games online in that case.

To each their own opinion obviously, myself included.
    With all due respect I didn't say anything about people not being able to install software. They aren't committing to install it, which is their own choice. Has nothing to do with skill levels, so no need to make people sound like dufuses just because they don't want to put software on their pc. You are also ignoring my point about being able to connect to a game using certain functionality that doesn't need a full complement of software. I have a feeling this conversation is going nowhere... I am frankly a little shocked to see people putting down a basic idea that would add functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    With all due respect I didn't say anything about people not being able to install software. They aren't committing to install it, which is their own choice. Has nothing to do with skill levels, so no need to make people sound like dufuses just because they don't want to put software on their pc. You are also ignoring my point about being able to connect to a game using certain functionality that doesn't need a full complement of software. I have a feeling this conversation is going nowhere... I am frankly a little shocked to see people putting down a basic idea that would add functionality.
    You were not quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by indavis View Post
    I am frankly a little shocked to see people putting down a basic idea that would add functionality.
    I think the main thing that FG users are concerned about is the dev time sync that major changes to the architecture would create. Also some people will always give feedback that can be perceived as negative if there are requests for features that they don't want/need. FG has a very limited number of developers, what might seem simple from the outside is very often a major task - FG has been around for nearly 20 years and has upwards of 2,000 official DLC products (not to mention community created DLC), so it can be difficult to introduce changes in architecture/functionality and maintain backwards compatibility - for example, moving to Unity took a number of years, just to maintain similar functionality and backwards compatibility with FG Classic.

When anyone posts about new functionality requests, things they see as major improvements, other FG users aren't always going to agree with you - for a wide variety of reasons. We all use FG in different ways and so have different requirements. Making suggestions is great, but also don't be surprised when people don't agree with you - an FG user isn't going to want to see hundreds of FG dev hours spent on something they aren't interested in. As already mentioned, FG has a limited number of developers - all of whom are already dedicated to projects in Smiteworks' current plans/vision, so dev hours are very valuable and users are always going to want to see those hours spent on things they want or see as important.

Keep making suggestions, keep adding to/voting on entries in the FG wishlist and have some discussions, engaging the users you want to discuss with. You're not going to change the minds of everyone, so be selective in how you engage and don't be put off by people who don't agree with you.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    All of these suggestions are great and would make things better.

Most of them ignore the current architecture. The Fantasy Grounds software is the server. It is where the data lives. For any interaction with the data the server needs to be on and reachable.

For the tablet or mobile version. It isnt trivial. As many mention they want to have 27 things open most of the time so how would they see these things on a mobile device with small screen? If enough information cant be displayed in a useful manner on a small screen then its not worth investigating further. If enough info can be displayed then the considerations become licensing and technical.

Tonight I had a new player to DnD and FG that couldn't connect to my server because I had to restart my computer while he was still logged into my server. The server thought he was already logged in and wouldn't allow him in again. Instead of wasting more time, holding the other 6 players back, we played and I streamed the game through discord so he could play while watching my screen. He told me that regardless of the problem of getting into the app, the fact that he could watch my discord stream made him feel like he was apart of the game. I really do think that mobile/tablet access would really draw newer players into a sometimes confusing VTT.
    FGU Ultimate|OGL 1.0a forever | Open RPG Creative (ORC) license!
    I play and GM everything and anything!
    Come join me and make some memories of another life.
    DMing Curse of Strahd with 6 wonderful people.
    Playing 5e in Midgard with Sir Greystone
    Playing Rolemaster and Fallout 2d20 with GM Max
    Playing Against the Darkmaster with Kergan
    Solo Roleplaying to become a better GM and experiment with systems that aren't as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalChillness View Post
    Tonight I had a new player to DnD and FG that couldn't connect to my server because I had to restart my computer while he was still logged into my server. The server thought he was already logged in and wouldn't allow him in again. Instead of wasting more time, holding the other 6 players back, we played and I streamed the game through discord so he could play while watching my screen. He told me that regardless of the problem of getting into the app, the fact that he could watch my discord stream made him feel like he was apart of the game. I really do think that mobile/tablet access would really draw newer players into a sometimes confusing VTT.
    After a couple of minutes he would be registered as logged out, and then able to log back in.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    All of these suggestions are great and would make things better.

Most of them ignore the current architecture. The Fantasy Grounds software is the server. It is where the data lives. For any interaction with the data the server needs to be on and reachable.

For the tablet or mobile version. It isnt trivial. As many mention they want to have 27 things open most of the time so how would they see these things on a mobile device with small screen? If enough information cant be displayed in a useful manner on a small screen then its not worth investigating further. If enough info can be displayed then the considerations become licensing and technical.
    Indeed people often complain about multi-monitor support because of lack of real estate...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    After a couple of minutes he would be registered as logged out, and then able to log back in.
    Nah he tried relogging in the whole session. We run the server on lan because one of our players plays out of china and can't connect through the cloud. It wasn't until after I restarted the server that he was able to get back in.
    FGU Ultimate|OGL 1.0a forever | Open RPG Creative (ORC) license!
    I play and GM everything and anything!
    Come join me and make some memories of another life.
    DMing Curse of Strahd with 6 wonderful people.
    Playing 5e in Midgard with Sir Greystone
    Playing Rolemaster and Fallout 2d20 with GM Max
    Playing Against the Darkmaster with Kergan
    Solo Roleplaying to become a better GM and experiment with systems that aren't as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by MentalChillness View Post
    Nah he tried relogging in the whole session. We run the server on lan because one of our players plays out of china and can't connect through the cloud. It wasn't until after I restarted the server that he was able to get back in.
    Well at leaat he got to play, Discord often saves the day...

Throwing my 2 cents in. I played this weekend on Roll20 and DnD Beyond as a player. What a mess that was. I could not get into my character sheet for over an hour. Just because it is web based don't think that it is automatic. I do understand the upsides of always being able to get into character sheet and would like to see that somehow as a functionality, but really like the aspect of FGU as is. I like my developer hours spent on including auras (ha ha) into the core system.

I will continue to say it, I am so glad I invested in FG over Foundry, Roll20 and DnD Beyond.

Thread Information