STAR TREK 2d20

Coding Effect Difficulty ~ Dispel Magic

Seeking an example of Dispel Magic effect coding for DnD 5E. Having particular trouble with targeting the effect.

Regards.

There's not going to be an automatic method to code Dispel Magic, since the GM has to decide which effects are magical and which ones are not.

Regards,
    JPG

The effect i have in mind is derived from a magic item. It will target ongoing magic effects on the target.
    Is that possible?

Thanks for the response!

There isn't any effects that you can create which would allow Dispel Magic to be automated. You'll have to do it manually.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Ok. Why do you suppose "magic" isn't a targetable trait? I thought it would be treated like any other trait: race, alignment, etc. I'm new to FG.

Effects in FG can be quite varied and come from different sources. In the event of casting Dispel Magic on a player or NPC, you'd want a DM to still work through what should or should not be removed. Remember that while FG can automate a lot of gameplay, it is not intended to replace a DM.

Quote Originally Posted by KilBot View Post
    Ok. Why do you suppose "magic" isn't a targetable trait? I thought it would be treated like any other trait: race, alignment, etc. I'm new to FG.
    FG does understand to some extent what magic is. Spells are tagged as magic as are many magic items and weapons. It also understands magic damage when computing resistances etc.

For dispel magic the first thing that needs to be determined is the level of the spell or magical effect. There's no way to record that on an item. The caster of a spell might be upcasting a spell; so even if it's a first or second level spell it could be using a fourth or fifth level slot. There could be things that affect the caster spells DC. There are so many factors that automating something like Dispel Magic would take a lot of code for very little return.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Understood. I resolved the issue by adding a text only effect to the item, as a place holder and usage tracker.
    Thanks again for the assistance.

Thread Information