5E Character Create Playlist

D&D 5E dungeon masters guide and players handbook

I have just bought Fantasy Grounds Unity standard I do not have the Dm's guide or the players handbook yet but i am thinking about building a custom campaign in the dragonlance settings. So is there a different rules set that i need to create custom modules in this setting or do just the need the standard 5E rules set or is it something different?

Blog Entries
    The Players Handbook is really the most important addon to buy.
    The Monster Manual would be my next purchase if i was running/building homebrew.

The new Dragonlance product for 5E might be of interest also.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...=WOTC5EDLSOTDQ

i have already purchased shadow of the dragon queen module and it seems to be great but i dont think i can pull the dragonlance rules set to create my dragonlance own module. maybe i am wrong please let me know.

Blog Entries
    Not sure exactly what you are trying to do. You don't "pull" the rules to create a module.

If you have custom content you want to create, be that classes, maps, stories, NPCs, items, etc. Then create a "development" campaign. Create you content. Then export to a module. Load your module in your "play" campaign.

See the link in my sig for adventure creation. Also there are numerous videos on how to create races, classes, and modules.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billjohn1962 View Post
    i have already purchased shadow of the dragon queen module and it seems to be great but i dont think i can pull the dragonlance rules set to create my dragonlance own module. maybe i am wrong please let me know.
    Are you looking for differences between rule implementation or access to content? I don't have that module but I would think, the Dragonlance module would only have Dragonlance specific stuff available through it.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Quote Originally Posted by billjohn1962 View Post
    I So is there a different rules set that i need to create custom modules in this setting or do just the need the standard 5E rules set or is it something different?
    Typically, all you need to create/homebrew a custom module for any D&D setting is the free 5E rules module that come with FGU. Once you create a new D&D 5E campaign, you then just add your custom features (i.e. new Classes, new Races, new Feats, new Encounters, new Images, etc..) and then export those in a custom module. However, if you want to have the PHB Feats available to your players, you probably want to purchase the D&D 5E Players Handbook DLC, as they aren't included in the freebie.

This is what the stated requirement are on the Shadow of the Dragon Queen store page listing:

"Requires: An active subscription or a one-time purchase of a Fantasy Grounds Unity license, the included D&D fifth edition ruleset, and the D&D Player's Handbook module for Fantasy Grounds Unity."

Needing to own the Player's Handbook isn't a necessary requirement for a good number of 5E DLCs. So my guess is that the SotDQ DLC might have feats that build upon or chain to the 5E core feats. Or possibly utilizes one of a small number of features the PHB 5E DLC adds over the free 5E ruleset. Just my opinion, but for the amount of work it'd take you to add the 5E PHB feats, the PHB DLC at 29.95 USD is probably worth it. Not to mention it gives you and your players the entire PHB Reference Manual to browse in the FGU library.

I personally never bought the Dungeon Masters Guide or the Monster Manual, despite having run 4 D&D 5E campaigns.

Thread Information