FG Spreadshirt Swag

Issue: Encumbrance penalty to Pace ignores settings

(extracted from the PFSW thread, as this also happens in the base SWADE module)

I have an issue with the encumbrance settings: even with "Auto-apply: Encumbrance" set to off, the Pace is decreased when a character is encumbered. Theoretically I could add a bonus to the character's pace to overcome this, but I would have to adjust that every time they change their equipped items, and considering the default approach to Encumbrance in SWADE is "don't worry about it, unless the GM decides it should be important to track" I think this should be fixed.

Test: create a character with d8 Strength and add a Chain Mail to their inventory, plus another item that pushes the total carried just above the carry capacity, then check pace while the Chain Mail is carried or equipped, in any encumbrance setting.

Expected behaviour (at least, that's what I would expect based on SWADE and the option):
    - When Encumbrance set to Off: encumbrance does not affect Pace at all
    - When Encumbrance set to Inventory: encumbrance give penalty to Pace based on total weight of carried items, not counting the weight of equipped armour pieces
    - When Encumbrance set to Armor: encumbrance give encumbrance penalty to Pace based on total weight of equipped armour
    - When Encumbrance set to All: encumbrance give encumbrance penalty to Pace based on total weight of carried and equipped items
    Last edited by edem; January 27th, 2023 at 22:54. Reason: (The Armor Encumbrance was correct.)
    Natural 20 - that's how I roll.

Not at my computer to check right now, but is it due to the minimum strength requirement of the armor, rather than weight?

Quote Originally Posted by dogfisc View Post
    Not at my computer to check right now, but is it due to the minimum strength requirement of the armor, rather than weight?
    I will double check that part, when I'm at my pc; however that should only affect the armour penalty, when it is equipped; if the encumbrance rules are off, it should not give a -2 penalty just for being carried.
    Update: yes, the Armor Encumbrance was actually calculated correctly, however there's still an issue with the (normal) encumbrance penalty, regardless of settings. I've updated the post above.
    Last edited by edem; January 27th, 2023 at 22:57.

I was able to look into this a little bit. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am not the ruleset developer, but just trying to help maintain it if something is broken or to keep it working with Core changes.

From the logic I am seeing in the code, it looks like the Automation options (and the AAEP option (Auto-Apply: Encumbrance Penalties) in particular) is designed to apply specific effects to your rolls automatically.

If the case of the AAEP option, it applies effects to your rolls when:
    a) your character is over limit (and option is all/inventory)
    b) your character is wearing armor greater than Min Str (and option is all/armor).

The effects applied are:
    a) [Run -2, Agility> -2, Fatigue -2]
    b) [Agility -#] (where # equals number of armor items with Min Str > char strength)

Other than that, this option does not have any other impact. From reviewing the other auto-apply options, these similarly apply effects/modifiers to rolls only.

Given my findings, I believe this is working as intended by the original developer; and there is not an option to "turn off" encumbrance calculation adjustments.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I was able to look into this a little bit. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am not the ruleset developer, but just trying to help maintain it if something is broken or to keep it working with Core changes.

From the logic I am seeing in the code, it looks like the Automation options (and the AAEP option (Auto-Apply: Encumbrance Penalties) in particular) is designed to apply specific effects to your rolls automatically.

If the case of the AAEP option, it applies effects to your rolls when:
    a) your character is over limit (and option is all/inventory)
    b) your character is wearing armor greater than Min Str (and option is all/armor).

The effects applied are:
    a) [Run -2, Agility> -2, Fatigue -2]
    b) [Agility -#] (where # equals number of armor items with Min Str > char strength)

Other than that, this option does not have any other impact. From reviewing the other auto-apply options, these similarly apply effects/modifiers to rolls only.

Given my findings, I believe this is working as intended by the original developer; and there is not an option to "turn off" encumbrance calculation adjustments.

Regards,
    JPG
    Hi,
    I appreciate you looking into this even if you're not the developer. However, encumbrance in SWADE does a bit more than this. The rules are:
    Encumbered characters subtract 2 from Pace (minimum 1′′), running rolls, Agility and all linked skills, and Vigor rolls made to resist Fatigue
    The module does all that, including the Pace value penalty (I have tested that) - however all these encumbrance rules are optional, and by default, should be ignored:
    Most of the time you don’t need to worry about how much weight a character is carrying. If it becomes important to track, use the Encumbrance Levels table below. If a character carries more than the listed weight, he’s Encumbered.
    (In fact, most if not all the official archetype characters start with equipment over their carry capacity.)

The problem is, while the option does turn off the roll modifiers, it does not remove the encumbrance penalty to Pace, which should also be ignored when Encumbrance is ignored.
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 23.58.18.png

Thread Information