DICE PACKS BUNDLE

SWADE rerolls and critical failure

The rules say that you can't reroll a critical failure. How do you interpret this in a situation, where the critical failure happens after the reroll? For example, if someone first rolls 3, uses a Benny to reroll and the rolls a critical failure. Do they still get to choose to keep the 3 or do they always have to take the critical failure if one is rolled?

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    The rules say that you can't reroll a critical failure. How do you interpret this in a situation, where the critical failure happens after the reroll? For example, if someone first rolls 3, uses a Benny to reroll and the rolls a critical failure. Do they still get to choose to keep the 3 or do they always have to take the critical failure if one is rolled?
    They critically fail! Unlike other benny re-rolls they have now lost the option to pick the besf of the rolls.

Book reference: page 89 of SWADE, subsection REROLL.

That's the push mechanic of SWADE. You can spend as many bennies to reroll as you want, but you run the risk of critically failing every benny. The same with Edges that give you a free reroll. That's the balance. If you succeed, do you really want to push it to get that raise?
    I've had players spend three bennies on a roll only to end with snake eyes. It keeps the game interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Maetco View Post
    Only the crit roll is used. The GM then can give the character a negative setback as well. In the GM guide there is an essay on why this rule is important and how it changes the feel of the game. Worth reading.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Serfass View Post
    That's the push mechanic of SWADE. You can spend as many bennies to reroll as you want, but you run the risk of critically failing every benny. The same with Edges that give you a free reroll. That's the balance. If you succeed, do you really want to push it to get that raise?
    I've had players spend three bennies on a roll only to end with snake eyes. It keeps the game interesting!
    Only 3? I've eaten up 5 once . . . Talk about being mad!

I've had the main skill roller chew up his allotment of bennies (4 at the time) and the support character chew up 3 bennies (a continuous roll of 1 + 3, 1 + 2, 1 + 3, and then 1+1).

Now that was a great scene with the supporter just getting in the way of the main roller succeeding at the action.

Sometimes I hope for a Critical Failure just for the narrative implications.
    Thanks In Advance,
    D

Thread Information