STAR TREK 2d20

Performance Issues with Deleting PCs/NPCs

Hello,

First off, I love this software and the PF2e implementation. That being said, one issue that I have noticed lately now that several PF2e campaigns I run are running at high levels (17+), it takes a long time (15+ seconds) when I remove an NPC from the combat tracker, especially if they are a spellcaster. Deleting a high-level PC from the campaign can take over a minute. During this time, the program is locked for both the GM and the players.

It seems that the amount of time it takes to delete increases with the amount of data. As we get to higher levels, the amount of data for PCs and NPCs is growing and this is affecting the amount of time it takes to delete them.

I posted this in the general section as opposed to the PF2e section because I assume this is base functionality and is not limited to the PF2e ruleset.

So far we have been making do with the delays, but if there is a straightforward fix for this, it would be great.

I appreciate the great work that has gone into this product.

Moving to the PF2 forum, as this is something that I know the PF2 developer is investigating.

Regards,
    JPG

@SillyOldeBear - thanks for raising this issue. It's something I was communicating to Moon Wizard about just yesterday. I've noticed the same while doing Release 19 development and testing - where there are 7+ activity classes and over 100 activities on the new Activities tab - with a similar nested layout to the spells section of the Action tab. The delay seems to increase the more data that's loaded into memory, so I'm not sure at this point exactly what's causing the issue, maybe some database events that run when an object is deleted or it might be something else. What's interesting is that the PC and NPC spells tabs haven't had any changes in a long time, so it's not new ruleset code that's introduced this issue and I'm wondering if it's just always been there for high level PCs/NPCs (i.e. lots of data in the PC/NPC sheet) or if there's something else that's changed recently that contributes to the delays.

Sorry the delays are causing an impact to your game. I don't know who fast a fix we'll get for this, but it's something we are looking into.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Additionally - do you have any idea when you first started noticing the dramatically increased delays when deleting PCs/NPCs? There was a change in the code of the base FG client on December 13th last year, and I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the delays.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Additionally - do you have any idea when you first started noticing the dramatically increased delays when deleting PCs/NPCs? There was a change in the code of the base FG client on December 13th last year, and I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the delays.
    I don't think I noticed any abrupt increase in the delay although it's definitely been more of an issue recently. It's slowly getting worse as the PCs and NPCs have been increasing in level and therefore complexity.

Just fyi this is also happening in 3.5e at higher levels which is the ruleset PF2e is/was based off afaik. Definitely it's a problem for more data-heavy systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Talked to my group. Back in September we were having severe lag issues with the combat tracker. This was in book two, so we weren't very high level, and the game would lag for almost a minute removing an NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by prknickspr View Post
    Talked to my group. Back in September we were having severe lag issues with the combat tracker. This was in book two, so we weren't very high level, and the game would lag for almost a minute removing an NPC.
    Thanks for that information. That helps focus where to look for improvements...

Thread Information