STAR TREK 2d20
Page 9 of 11 First ... 7891011 Last
    One thing here that is a little off is the conversation about VTT's. I think the way that SmiteWorks does it is the correct approach, you get official licensed support. SW makes money, WotC makes money, Pazio makes money, Kobold Press makes money, whatever other companies that license through them and makes their content available on the platform. Where the complaints and arguments from a company come into play is when you have someone like Foundry with no official licensing from WotC and backdoored access to D&D Beyond, this is where you're going to get companies complaining because they aren't authorizing that use of their content\property. There's official content released by Kobold Press on Foundry, among others, so it's not that they are against working with companies(Foundry), but until they actually do have proper licensing with the company whose content they wish to use, there's going to be issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTBC View Post
    One thing here that is a little off is the conversation about VTT's. I think the way that SmiteWorks does it is the correct approach, you get official licensed support. SW makes money, WotC makes money, Pazio makes money, Kobold Press makes money, whatever other companies that license through them and makes their content available on the platform. Where the complaints and arguments from a company come into play is when you have someone like Foundry with no official licensing from WotC and backdoored access to D&D Beyond, this is where you're going to get companies complaining because they aren't authorizing that use of their content\property. There's official content released by Kobold Press on Foundry, among others, so it's not that they are against working with companies(Foundry), but until they actually do have proper licensing with the company whose content they wish to use, there's going to be issues.
    I'm pretty sure that "backdoor" API is managed, maintained and regulated by WoTC.

Not saying having a license deal with WoTC isnt better, I think it is. What WoTC does tho is really up to them. I'm sure all the VTTs would have them if WoTC was willing.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, there is not enough money in the RPG industry for Hasbro to make the kind of money they probably want to make. They probably already take at least 1/4 of the entire market, 4 times growth would be nice, but it's probably not what they are looking for.

There are 2 entertainment sectors though that do have enough money for them. And that is the movie industry and the computer (mostly mobile) gaming industry. Then with merchandising supplementing those nicely as a third.

They probably want to be the next Marvel, and that, IMO, would be awesome if they could produce that level of entertainment repeatedly. They also want the gaming market. IMO, that is why they are so concerned with differentiating VTTs vs computer games and then the part that surfaced briefly about live action / performance arts.

I'm worried they may screw with the RPG and VTT aspects of the market while they try to grow the brand into a movie and gaming franchise. But I do hope they succeed on the movie and gaming part. Remember when Iron Man was only a comic book? (Which I never read, but I certainly have seen every movie, multiple times.) One day it would be nice to say "Yeah, all those D&D universes you love so much, you can actually play them as what we call a 'role playing game'. Why don't you join us next weekend and see what you think."

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It is sad, they have a setting that is so Game of Thrones and super developed it would make awesome movies and TV series but they seem afraid to rerelease it so they will realize they have cinematic gold.. I speak of Birthright of course.

Blog Entries
    There could be more money in the hobby if they did actually make an AI GM that really could replace the grumpy ones we have now

Maybe AI players. Now that’s something I would buy into

This is some very good insight into this entire situation (among others at hasbro).

---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Just think of the lack of scheduling issues...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    It is sad, they have a setting that is so Game of Thrones and super developed it would make awesome movies and TV series but they seem afraid to rerelease it so they will realize they have cinematic gold.. I speak of Birthright of course.
    A Birthright series on Netflix would be awesome.

Didn't they just cancel there plans for the OGL. Just recently within the last few days? Big win for third party publishers and fans?

https://www.polygon.com/23574677/dun...zards-fans-win
    Last edited by kevdog45; February 4th, 2023 at 17:04.

Thread Information