DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Keeping the order of march during movement

Hi, is it possible to establish a fixed order of march for a party in D&D 5e? I know that you can establish the order of march in the party tracker, but I don't know if you can "fix" the order of march so that the portrait of a PC who is on the back of the party cannot, for example, unwittingly overtake another player who is in a more advanced position. I hope that what I am trying to say makes sense. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    You can't prevent the token in the back on the Party Sheet from moving in front of the other tokens on the "battle" map.

Some solutions:
    - Use a "Party" token when moving between locations and it assumes all PCs are in the marching order on the party sheet. I use this method on mega dungeons and overland travel maps. Usually we don't want the scale of individual tokens, and just want one to indicate where the party is. Then when an encounter happens, I share the encounter map and place the PC tokens per the marching order.
    - Don't worry about marching order, if the party doesn't move their tokens accordingly, then they are not staying in marching order. I sue this one too, on small maps. If the wizard want to be the first one through a door or down a hall, so be it. If a token moves through a trap or triggers an encounter, so be it, I tell everyone to stop where they are and describe what happens. If someone hasn't moved and is 200 feet behind, well they might not make it there before the encounter is over.
    - Use party vision and just have the lead PC move their token until an encounter happens, then everyone else "catches up" while you describe the scene.

In short, do what's easy for you. As DM you already have the majority of the work, let the Players be responsible for their own tokens and characters.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Yeah, this is not really a Fantasy Grounds issue. Newer players and the host will need to decide and agree upon a table etiquette and way to move. If you lock the tokens you can control and approve token movement to help mitigate the potential issue you inquire about.

Happy Gaming.
    FGA Founder
    FGU teacher and student!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Discord Alias: Laerun#6969

https://www.fantasygroundsacademy.com

Here's how I handle party movement:

1. If the party is moving through a wide open space they usually don't stay in formation and I allow them to move freely until there's an encounter. At that point I lock token movement.
    2. If the party is moving in an enclosed building or area with rooms and corridors I will ask the party if they want to move in formation. If they say yes, then when the party leader moves I move the rest of the party to make sure they stay in formation. When there's an encounter I lock token movement.
    3. Anytime the party decides to move with stealth, I lock token movement, while the party leader moves (at half speed). I move the rest of the party in formation.

Thanks. How can you lock token movement quickly please?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobiledruen View Post
    Thanks. How can you lock token movement quickly please?
    https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...layer+Movement

You also have the option to lock/unlock movement in the image toolbar once there are tokens on the map.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

To quickly lock tokens just click on the icon button on the map and then the lock token button (tokens must be on map).

locktoken.jpg

Let me know what works best. I'm always looking for ways to make gameplay better.

Thread Information