DICE PACKS BUNDLE

“New” RPG system advice

Given the shenanigans going on at WOTC/Hasbro, I am thinking of moving to a new RPG system. Leaning toward PathFinder 2E.

Background:

I’ve been playing D&D off and on since 1979 (Yes, I am THAT old…). I’ve played AD&D 1 and 2, D&D 3.5, and D&D 5e. I came back to the fold in 2018 via Adventurers League. Found Fantasy Grounds shortly there after and went full virtual at the start of the Pandemic in 2020.

Pathfinder seams to be the most mature system besides D&D. I have no problem spending the money to buy the FG assets.

Thoughts on Pathfinder from the community?

On a side note. I am trying to understand the linkage of FG assets to a Piazo account. I think I’d like the Hardcopy books, or at least the PDF’s in addition to the FG assets. Is it better to purchase via FG, or via the Piazo site?

Thanks!

You could do worse than look at the various Cypher System titles by Monte Cook Games. Unfortunately, they're not at all in the VTT market so no ready-made books or modules in the FG store but the rulesets included with FG are pretty functional once you get the quirks. I just love the system and Numenera has a good number of modules and supplements. The down side is that you'll be manually entering the stuff you need. Cypher is definitely not as rules-light as something like Dungeon World and not nearly as crunchy as 5E/PF2. It's a nice middle ground that's very story-oriented where even a long combat should really only last 6-8 rounds.
    --
    I'm so bassic

IF you create and link a Paizo account you here are two options. a) If you buy a FGU Paizo module, you will get a PDF in your Paizo account b) If you have you already have the PDF in your Paizo account you will recieve the price of the PDF as a discount on the FG module.

Note, this can get really interesting because if you bought a Humble Bundle where you were getting Paizo pdf's for close to pennies. You would then get a big discount for essentially pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by JSF View Post
    Pathfinder seams to be the most mature system besides D&D. I have no problem spending the money to buy the FG assets.

Thoughts on Pathfinder from the community?
    I really enjoy the PF2 system - lots of player options and the three action economy in encounter mode is a breath of fresh air. The FG implementation is pretty good (but then I would say that as I'm the community developer for the ruleset) and it's constantly being added to, with a big update (Release 19) entering the test channel soon.

There's over 100 official product conversions available: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...version-Status

Quote Originally Posted by JSF View Post
    On a side note. I am trying to understand the linkage of FG assets to a Piazo account. I think I’d like the Hardcopy books, or at least the PDF’s in addition to the FG assets. Is it better to purchase via FG, or via the Piazo site?
    If the prices on the FG site are the same as Paizo (sometimes they are slightly different due to one-shot sales, etc.) then I'd recommend purchasing from the FG site, and then you'll get the PDF synchronized into your Paizo account. The main reason for the recommendation is that more of the cut goes to FG (both SmiteWorks and the four community developers/converters working hard on the PF2 products).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks folks! Appreciate the input. Looks like I need to further investigate Pathfinder.

JSF, I too have been playing since the early days (mid 80s, not quite as long as you). And my gaming group (of mostly the same people) plays Pathfinder 2E. It is the best system we have found so far.
    We also play around with Cypher System (pencil and paper).
    But for my money, PF2 is where it's at.

Thanks Milke, appreciate the response.

I’m looking at all the Pathfinder assets and trying to wrap my head around all the options.

Here's a recent post on Social Media by Jason Bulmahn, Director of Game Design at Paizo:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bulmahn
    So, there are a lot of folks out there looking to give #Pathfinder2E a try, and I've been seeing this question quite a bit
    Where do I start?

Well, let me help you on your quest, and please feel free to share this far and wide!

If you're experienced with RPGs pick up the Pathfinder Core Rulebook! It has all the rules for players and GMs to get started, including character creation, playing the game, designing adventures, and even a primer on the World of Lost Omens (our setting)!

If you plan on being the Game Master, might I also recommend picking up 1 or more of the Pathfinder Bestiaries! Each contains hundreds of monsters to add to your game, from familiar critters like vampires and minotaurs to beasts from our world, like the Leshy and Proteans!

Now. If you are new to gaming or are looking for more of a guided introduction, check our the Pathfinder Beginnder Box! You can open this up and be playing within minutes! It contains pre-made PCs (and the rules to make your own), a starter adventure, dice, maps, and more!

Those are the basics, now let's talk next steps. Most Pathfinder books come from one of three lines, Rulebooks, Lost Omens World Books, and Adventure Paths! Let's look at each to give you an idea of what they are about!

Pathfinder Rulebooks expand options for PCs and provide new tools for GMs! The first to consider are the Advanced Player's Guide and the Gamemastery Guide! Other rulebooks are heavily themed to specific types of content, such as Secrets of Magic and Guns and Gears!

Lost Omens books explore our setting (AKA Golarion)! Start with the overview books like the World Guide, Character Guide, and God's and Magic, but check out our deep dives, like The Mwangi Expanse or Absalom, City of Lost Omens! It's a whole new world for you to explore!

Next up, Adventure Paths! Each Adventure Path is broken up over multiple volumes, released monthly, providing you with a complete campaign! We've also collected some into one book. Get started with the Abomintation Vaults, but if you're ready for a challenge try Kingmaker!

And there is even more! If you want to play with people from around the world, check out the Pathfinder Society! It's a great source of short adventures, and you can take you PC to play at game stores and conventions as well!

We also offer a wide variety of accessories, from maps and cards to dice and miniatures! You can find all these products and more at the Paizo Inc. website or at your local game store! We are having a sale right now to celebrate #OpenGaming! https://paizo.com/community/blog/v57...ith-Pathfinder

There is an entire world of adventure waiting for you in the Pathfinder RPG! I cannot begin to express how grateful we all are to see folks take joy in our games. You are always welcome at the Pathfinder Table!
    And don't be put off by the Gamemastery Guide currently being converted for FG - this is not the same as the DMG for 5e - most of the DMG 5e equivalent stuff is in the PF2 Core Rulebook. The PF2 Gamemastery Guide has a lot of text about running games and also optional systems for changing how PF2 is played. It is these optional systems that have so far prevented the Gamemastery Guide from being developed in FG, as there is a lot of coding to be done to support these optional systems, and we want to concentrate on providing more core functionality at this point (see the upcoming Release 19 thread and videos). Pick up the book/PDF of the Gamemastery Guide if you're interested, as most of its content can be used as-is without requiring the data in FG.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 17th, 2023 at 14:36.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

That is GREAT information Trenloe! Thank you.

Thread Information