DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    Thank you for this statement. My goal for my table is whether I can continue to host the game I want to host in Fantasy Grounds, regardless of what WOTC ultimately does.

If I read the above correctly, I understand I can continue using the Fantasy Grounds modules of official D&D content that I have bought already and also buy new copies of official modules through 2023 at least.

The unanswered question here, though is: what happens to Fantasy Grounds modules licensed from MCDM, Kobold Press, and others that are themselves released under OGL 1.0a. Does Smiteworks lose the ability to host that content?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooSKP View Post
    Thank you for this statement. My goal for my table is whether I can continue to host the game I want to host in Fantasy Grounds, regardless of what WOTC ultimately does.

If I read the above correctly, I understand I can continue using the Fantasy Grounds modules of official D&D content that I have bought already and also buy new copies of official modules through 2023 at least.

The unanswered question here, though is: what happens to Fantasy Grounds modules licensed from MCDM, Kobold Press, and others that are themselves released under OGL 1.0a. Does Smiteworks lose the ability to host that content?
    It is highly unlikely that anything released with an OGL license attached will be revoked.
    In the event it is, it is not that difficult for most products to remove the license and rewrite any SRD content they have included.
    The publishers you have mentioned are all actively doing or considering doing just that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZooSKP View Post
    That delves into what would very likely be a legal battle. For now, nothing is affected or contested.

Forgive me if this is a daft question, as I try to keep-up with things I barely understand, but if someone like Kobold Press or MCDM create their own systems, as they have suggested they will, is there scope to have those featured on FGU in future?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterSoldier7 View Post
    Forgive me if this is a daft question, as I try to keep-up with things I barely understand, but if someone like Kobold Press or MCDM create their own systems, as they have suggested they will, is there scope to have those featured on FGU in future?
    There is scope.
    There are lots of things that have to align for that to happen.
    There are game systems from several other publishers already.

You're right, there totally are - though I personally haven't used them. That makes sense then, though I know there are a lot of unknowns at the moment.

A rising tide lifts all ships.

Good post, Doug.

Any thoughts on the impact of the impact of the wotc VTT and probably closed shop content.

How will this impact fgu and other vtt platforms?

Can we look forward to seeing better support for other game systems?

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellR66 View Post
    Any thoughts on the impact of the impact of the wotc VTT and probably closed shop content.

How will this impact fgu and other vtt platforms?

Can we look forward to seeing better support for other game systems?
    There are already multiple threads on the boards covering this topic. In the tavern section, for one.

I appreciate the clarification and support for the broader industry. Not locked into one system is why (in addition to the fantastic tools why I went for FG and not a one branded - trick pony).

Two things come to mind.

1) Will we get a heads-up to purchase and complete our 5e official collection before its locked if 2024 is not renewed (note - I am not planning to buy any WOTC products from now on, I will be 5e compatible products from other publishers tho).

2) The other strategic option for WOTC is to offer the owners for FGU a bucket of cash to buy you out and basically force us to use their product (I would image for users there will be a sweetner - here will will give you all the 5e stuff you own in our platform), or they will manipulate a licence term that we signed on too when we purchased our products and say your stuff isn;t supported any more after X you will need to pay to move on.

I won't blame you if offered a big bucket of cash you can't refuse but its certainly a strategy to consolidate that avoids the court system.

Thread Information