STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 32 First ... 3456715 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    The real strength with this ruleset is the power of the character sheet. here is the mod i created for Ben Milton's Knave. It's an OSR game with very simple rules (only 7 pages). I used the Abilities to take care of 3 primary needs in the game. The first box is a rollunder for what Ben calls the Ability Defense, the second is a bonus generated from the Ability, and the third is an Ability Saving Throw that is a rollover. NPCs and Items were pretty straightforward. Weapons needed a little fine tuning, but seem to work very cleanly and fast. The only thing still throwing me off is the lack of a Spells area on the main ruleset. it's nice that it exists on the character sheet though. My next steps are to build a simple adventure to include with version 1.2 as an introduction. I built this in about 6 hours, so that shows you how easy to use it is. i will continue to refine it a bit before i'm completely happy with it.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3/Knave1.1.mod
    So good - thanks Nod!

lol, OK Damned, I'll give it a go - and I'll try to not make you sorry for offering. It will take me a few to format my response.

In the post below, if you see that something that I've listed is already available/doable, please, point it out.
    My intent is not to have you do all of this for me, but to let me know what is possible, and if so, ho to do it?

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Battlemarch; January 16th, 2023 at 01:37.
    FG:Classic/Unity Ultimate License Holder

If you can get me started with the beginning of a pattern, I should be able to follow up with those of the same type.
    One of the things I had to think about was if an Attribute can have 3 bonuses, those would be [b], [c], and [d].. except there is not d
    I was thinking that I could hide the saved die rolls as more attributes or in the skills section?

Character (6 standard attributes) - # of dice/bonus depends on Race

• Ex: Strength & Constitution Share a D6 called Physical Base (PB)
      • 2D6 for Str, 2D6 for Con; Dwarves get best of 2D6 for PB, 3D6 keep best 2 for Str
        • Wis & Int use the same pattern
        • Dexterity and Charisma use other Attributes + die roll(s)

• Those rolls are retained as the player to ‘train them up by expending XP
      • Weight (WT) is (Str or Con depending on Race) ÷ 5 + 3 + D6 (WT1) + D6 (WT2)
        • Dwarf : ST ÷ 5 + 3 + WT1 + WT2
        • Human : CN ÷ 3 + 2 + WT1 + WT2
        • Elf : CN ÷ 3 + 1 + WT1 + WT2
        • Hobbit : CN ÷ 3 + 1 + WT1 + WT2

• Fatigue is HP: although no classes, profession might fit; Fighter, Mage, Cleric
        • Fatigue roll is D6+1 or D8 at each XP level you do not take a spell point (called MAL)
        • Fatigue roll is D6 if you take a “Clerical” spell point at each XP level
        • Fatigue roll is D6-1 or D4 if you take a spell point at an XP level

• Body – 0 is death
        • Body = max( WT + (3rd CON bonus) + √(Experience Level), 8 ); // square root

• Height
        • ( 3CN1 + 3CN2 - DX1 - DX2 + 4( ST + HT1 + HT2 )) ÷ 5 + 50 (28 for Dwarves)

• Saving throws
        • Physical 15 - 2/3EL (Experience Level)
        • Special 16 - 1/3EL
        • Spell resistance

• Movement is based on Height and Con
      • There are 3 tiers of bonuses based on Attributes, ex
        • 0 +1 +2 Str Dex
        • 1: 8-12 13-16 17-20 -2 Crit/Die size + to hit
        • 2: - 14-15 16-17 +/- Attack + def blow
        • 3: - 15 16 + damage - to be hit

• Combat
      • Weapons have type (striking, thrusting, 1Handed 2Handed, light, heavy) and standard damge
      • They have N offensive attacks (a players skill modifies that), skill and bonuses also add defensive or promote def blows to Offensive blows
      • Roll 2D10 + bonuses to hit, also typically roll D12 to critical. Fail is just fatigue, success is fatigue and body
      • Ex Broad sword: AC0: 13/7 AC1: 12/10 AC2:10/11 AC3: 8/12
        • First number is to hit, second number (D12) is to critical; AC0 is harder to hit, easier to critical
        • Str bonus can increase damage, and reduce the critical die size and crit number,
          • Ex: Str of 17 trying to hit AC 2 above would need 10 to hit, and 11 on a D12 would become 7 on a D8

• Armor
      • Cost is based on a multiple of weight, as in 5WT, 25WT
      • The weight of the armor itself (encumbrance) is weight based, WT, 3WT, 5WT
      • Armor is either AC0 (leather), AC1, AC2 (Chain) or AC3 (plate)

• Experience
      • All characters have the same points need to attain a level
        • 2 is 2K, 3 is 5K, 4 is 10K, Skill points are awarded at each level and sub level (1.1, 2.0, 2.2, 2.2, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.0…)

• Skills – Skills have level, spend XP towards skills or spells, etc.
    • Spells – save that for another day

Quote Originally Posted by vegaserik View Post
    Inventory seems good! Thanks damned!
    I noticed when typing in a non Id'd name it writes over the name so both appear in the item's name field. Sorry I hadn't tried this before

I did a Blue Rose sheet as well. Character sheet, an npc, a couple of items, ability and focus rolls are all in. Uses the damagedr code as well!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...Rose_Basic.mod

Blog Entries
    I noticed when typing in a non Id'd name it writes over the name so both appear in the item's name field. Sorry I hadn't tried this before
    Thanks - I think I know what is happening there. Ill fix.

Blog Entries
    I did a Blue Rose sheet as well. Character sheet, an npc, a couple of items, ability and focus rolls are all in. Uses the damagedr code as well!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...Rose_Basic.mod
    Boom! On a roll!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlemarch View Post
    If you can get me started with the beginning of a pattern, I should be able to follow up with those of the same type.
    One of the things I had to think about was if an Attribute can have 3 bonuses, those would be [b], [c], and [d].. except there is not d
    I was thinking that I could hide the saved die rolls as more attributes or in the skills section?

Character (6 standard attributes) - # of dice/bonus depends on Race

• Ex: Strength & Constitution Share a D6 called Physical Base (PB)
      • 2D6 for Str, 2D6 for Con; Dwarves get best of 2D6 for PB, 3D6 keep best 2 for Str
        • Wis & Int use the same pattern
        • Dexterity and Charisma use other Attributes + die roll(s)

• Those rolls are retained as the player to ‘train them up by expending XP
      • Weight (WT) is (Str or Con depending on Race) ÷ 5 + 3 + D6 (WT1) + D6 (WT2)
        • Dwarf : ST ÷ 5 + 3 + WT1 + WT2
        • Human : CN ÷ 3 + 2 + WT1 + WT2
        • Elf : CN ÷ 3 + 1 + WT1 + WT2
        • Hobbit : CN ÷ 3 + 1 + WT1 + WT2

• Fatigue is HP: although no classes, profession might fit; Fighter, Mage, Cleric
        • Fatigue roll is D6+1 or D8 at each XP level you do not take a spell point (called MAL)
        • Fatigue roll is D6 if you take a “Clerical” spell point at each XP level
        • Fatigue roll is D6-1 or D4 if you take a spell point at an XP level

• Body – 0 is death
        • Body = max( WT + (3rd CON bonus) + √(Experience Level), 8 ); // square root

• Height
        • ( 3CN1 + 3CN2 - DX1 - DX2 + 4( ST + HT1 + HT2 )) ÷ 5 + 50 (28 for Dwarves)

• Saving throws
        • Physical 15 - 2/3EL (Experience Level)
        • Special 16 - 1/3EL
        • Spell resistance

• Movement is based on Height and Con
      • There are 3 tiers of bonuses based on Attributes, ex
        • 0 +1 +2 Str Dex
        • 1: 8-12 13-16 17-20 -2 Crit/Die size + to hit
        • 2: - 14-15 16-17 +/- Attack + def blow
        • 3: - 15 16 + damage - to be hit

• Combat
      • Weapons have type (striking, thrusting, 1Handed 2Handed, light, heavy) and standard damge
      • They have N offensive attacks (a players skill modifies that), skill and bonuses also add defensive or promote def blows to Offensive blows
      • Roll 2D10 + bonuses to hit, also typically roll D12 to critical. Fail is just fatigue, success is fatigue and body
      • Ex Broad sword: AC0: 13/7 AC1: 12/10 AC2:10/11 AC3: 8/12
        • First number is to hit, second number (D12) is to critical; AC0 is harder to hit, easier to critical
        • Str bonus can increase damage, and reduce the critical die size and crit number,
          • Ex: Str of 17 trying to hit AC 2 above would need 10 to hit, and 11 on a D12 would become 7 on a D8

• Armor
      • Cost is based on a multiple of weight, as in 5WT, 25WT
      • The weight of the armor itself (encumbrance) is weight based, WT, 3WT, 5WT
      • Armor is either AC0 (leather), AC1, AC2 (Chain) or AC3 (plate)

• Experience
      • All characters have the same points need to attain a level
        • 2 is 2K, 3 is 5K, 4 is 10K, Skill points are awarded at each level and sub level (1.1, 2.0, 2.2, 2.2, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.0…)

• Skills – Skills have level, spend XP towards skills or spells, etc.
    • Spells – save that for another day
    Im going to need some time to decipher but Im pretty sure what you are trying to do is not supported by either MoreCore or XCore. Neither of these will calculate the value of a field based on other fields. They are all focused on Rolls - eg building Rolls not building Stats.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    XCore doesnt have the same power but is hopefully less intimidating and is easier to get started with.
    Much less!

No worries. A lot of what I'd like from above for attributes is a 'want'.
    I can do without and simply have folks fill in the fields using the offline tools we already use.
    Having it done in the Character sheet just would have been 'cool'.
    I also think I know how I can include the bonuses as needed.

Can the items or character rolls use/call entries in the Tables? I seem to recall that you could do some fancy things there.

And worse case, players do usually stick to straight straight Fighter, Cleric or mage; even though we don't have classes.

I'm still trying to think how I might set up the attacks on the different ACs and then having it use the the correct critical die.
    And when all is set and done, I wonder if there will be a way to import characters to FG as we can from Fantasy Module Parser...

But again, Thank you. XCore looks like a good place for me to start again!

Bill

Thread Information