STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I hope you are right. I will dump WotC in a minute to keep FGU, but I have purchased quite a bit of 5e material on here.

I found this. And it does have me worried. I think my players may want to move to Wotc's VTT if it lives up to its promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkIg7MHMRn0

I understand WotC/Hasbro’s position here, but I am unlikely to migrate to their new VTT. For one thing, I am unwilling to invest in a platform with support for just one ruleset.

I’ve already been burned by the split-up of media across multiple streaming platforms so that everyone can get their slice of the streaming pie. I don’t need a million-and-one fractured subscriptions to different streaming services.

I’m not going to engage with that in the VTT market, either. If I can only DM/play the most recent version of D&D on their platform, I will stick to Fantasy Grounds and its multitude of rulesets, and WotC/Hasbro will lose my drop-in-the-bucket.

I understand that Hasbro has decided they need their cut, but my group and I need the consistent quality, utility, and community we have with Fantasy Grounds.

I wouldn't worry to much about the WotC VTT:
    - It will be 3D, which seriously limits its applicability
    - It will be a service which requires regular payments from all players
    - It will be full of microtransactions
    - It will disassociate the players from each other
    - It will ONLY support One D&D
    - IT STILL NEEDS TO BE DEVELOPED

Plus, it's being developed BY WotC, and they have a, lets say less than stellar track record in nearly anything digital.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Plus, it's being developed BY WotC, and they have a, lets say less than stellar track record in nearly anything digital.
    They did hire a bunch of developers from Microsoft from what I recall. I think they will do a good job - at least of of their vtt implementation - not so much the license thing.

I think the 3d in 2d simulator that SmiteWorks is cooking up will be good enough for me for quite awhile. I am assuming that FGU will run One D&D but even if it does I'm not certain that I am going to switch given my feelings on the test material so far. There are not enough good ideas to offset the bad ideas.

At the time most of us who did play D&D 4E on Fantasy Grounds did so even though there was not a license so I'm not worried about the worst case.

The track record of WotC developed software *is* dismal - all failures. However, they do have some good developers this time, so I don't think their VTT is going to be vaporware again. My expectation is it's going to be a prettied up version similar to Neverwinter Nights, which was a chore to build weekly adventures on.

I want to run a role playing game not have to build a mini computer RPG every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    At the time most of us who did play D&D 4E on Fantasy Grounds did so even though there was not a license so I'm not worried about the worst case.

The track record of WotC developed software *is* dismal - all failures. However, they do have some good developers this time, so I don't think their VTT is going to be vaporware again. My expectation is it's going to be a prettied up version similar to Neverwinter Nights, which was a chore to build weekly adventures on.

I want to run a role playing game not have to build a mini computer RPG every week.
    WotC Executive: You said you would have the VTT ready in time for the release?
    WotC Programmer: You said you wanted it for the next edition, One D&D isn't a new edition. We figured we had time.

In my personal experience,
    FGU community and smiteworks as a company, has been a top notch organization of like minded individuals. I cannot say the same for my experience with WotC. I agree that the diversity of the systems offered with FGU is exceptional. To blow more money on a VTT that only offers one system is not ideal for my players' tastes as we like to role play many different game systems (fallout for example or aliens or masterminds). If the new OGL ends up finalizing a termination of third party VTT or even making it harder for those who are already established to continue producing open content like FGU offers, I will likely migrate my personal content to pathfinder through FGU. We all have different opinions and that is respectable. You all have been great to me. The developers of FGU: keep up the good work. You have a solid community backing you.

Thread Information