5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Does WotC's new OGL shut down Fantasy Grounds for D&D?

My friends and I have invested quite a bit in both money and time in this VTT. We're worried that the new OGL (or what we know of it so far) will block Fantasy Grounds for D&D. Anything Smiteworks can share on this front?

What about PF 1e products?
    Running: Ultimate License (FGC/FGU)
    Preferred Rulesets: Pathfinder/Starfinder
    Timezone: US Eastern Standard Time [EST = GMT -5; EDT = GMT - 4]

The new OGL does not affect official D&D products. However, it may be indicative of a new strategy attempting to crush all competition. So, when the official D&D VTT launches, we'll see if they stop licensing their products to 3rd party VTTs.

If that happens, and OGL 1.0 survives (i.e. Paizo can still publish new digital Pathfinder products, for example), I can see myself switching to another system just to keep using Fantasy Grounds.

Yes, I am thinking of switching to the Cypher System now as that is also supported by FG. It would be great if FG would release a couple more systems in the coming year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Yes, I am thinking of switching to the Cypher System now as that is also supported by FG. It would be great if FG would release a couple more systems in the coming year.
    Dont forget to look in the Forge. There are over 40 community (and a couple of Official) rulesets in there.

Thanks for the hint! I found the Mutant Year Zero ruleset there, which is a system I am seriously considering running.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilator View Post
    The new OGL does not affect official D&D products. However, it may be indicative of a new strategy attempting to crush all competition. So, when the official D&D VTT launches, we'll see if they stop licensing their products to 3rd party VTTs.

If that happens, and OGL 1.0 survives (i.e. Paizo can still publish new digital Pathfinder products, for example), I can see myself switching to another system just to keep using Fantasy Grounds.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I will be looking at new systems too, with much emphasis on those I can play in Fantasy Grounds. I am hoping for support for RMU soon (I know, wrong forum) , but in absence of that, my loyalty is with FG over anything WOTC does with regard to VTT's.

Thread Information