DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by SweegyLeo View Post
    So my question 1.
    We have JSON exports from pathbuilder.
    What is the recommended converter, to FGU XML?
    I don't know if there is a converter. The recommend approach is to re-create your PC in FG as this will also apply any automation that's available for the abilities, feats, features, etc..
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Specifically, using the modules right?

Admittedly, having played under a DM with large catalogues of modules,
    We fell in love with FG at its best.

I'm not there yet myself. Having just unlocked the DM license, and picked up the starter box to playtest PF2e with my game group.

I do see us getting there, especially for the player options.
    I'd love to be able to build most of the AoNprd characters, inside FG.

That's my dream. (I did shudder a little bit at the price tag for the modules to pull that off...
    Just a little bit.)

I'm currently looking at my gaming budget, trying to see, how to get the book modules.
    Scheming.

But, life, kids. Fuel. Etc. It may take a MINUTE.

Quote Originally Posted by SweegyLeo View Post
    Specifically, using the modules right?
    Yes. Some info on that here: https://youtu.be/MJ__B6UykZs?t=373
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have a lifetime membership to FGU and to Foundry. Every once in a while, I go back to see what Foundry is up to. But it still has too much of a learning curve for me. There's only a couple of things that Foundry does that Fantasy Grounds can't (yet?) do. And they're not a big enough deal to me to move entire games over.

I'm actually running a trial of Foundry right now with my Rise of the Runelords campaigns. As a group, we decided to try a chapter on a different platform to experience pro and cons first hands. I had said in the past that I would only try Foundry once the Immunities, Resistances and Weaknesses automation was there, and they added that at the end of last year.

So far, it has been a mix for me, and generally positive for the players. Automation is definitely behind FG, and I miss concepts like the combat tracker and party sheet abstractions of FG. I also like the fact that the FG solution is pretty complete from the box, while I need several add-ons/modules to have a similar experience in Foundry.

At the end, the biggest difference for me is prep time, and not having an NPC Parser is a big gap for me there. If I was running a pre-published 2e adventure, I might have been a full convert at this point. Another great pro for FG is how stable it is. Foundry updates almost every time (because at least one of your add-ons will have an update) so things break easily. Developing for it is a nightmare due to that, even if the platform is way more modern in its development.

So, as a group we still haven't reached a verdict, but I can certainly tell that Foundry is much closer to FG today than it was a year ago, and the gap is closing.
    Daniel Salles de Araújo (@dsaraujo)
    Developer of PFRPG2 GM Enhancements - Improve your Pathfinder 2E game!
    Check out the Pathfinder Deck of Endless NPCs!

Quote Originally Posted by dsaraujo View Post
    I'm actually running a trial of Foundry right now with my Rise of the Runelords campaigns. As a group, we decided to try a chapter on a different platform to experience pro and cons first hands. I had said in the past that I would only try Foundry once the Immunities, Resistances and Weaknesses automation was there, and they added that at the end of last year.

So far, it has been a mix for me, and generally positive for the players. Automation is definitely behind FG, and I miss concepts like the combat tracker and party sheet abstractions of FG. I also like the fact that the FG solution is pretty complete from the box, while I need several add-ons/modules to have a similar experience in Foundry.

At the end, the biggest difference for me is prep time, and not having an NPC Parser is a big gap for me there. If I was running a pre-published 2e adventure, I might have been a full convert at this point. Another great pro for FG is how stable it is. Foundry updates almost every time (because at least one of your add-ons will have an update) so things break easily. Developing for it is a nightmare due to that, even if the platform is way more modern in its development.

So, as a group we still haven't reached a verdict, but I can certainly tell that Foundry is much closer to FG today than it was a year ago, and the gap is closing.
    I bought the snazzy Beginner Box and Abomination Vault on Foundry. The reaction of my players (Beginner Box) was OMG so pretty and birds chirping and harbor sounds. This was an otherwise unmodded game. We spent time figuring out the mechanics of token based vs. combat tracker and various other simple system differences. Once we were able to get into combat (like u pause the game!) things went pretty smooth, but it is an elf-ton more work for the GM.

There are likely modules and macros to automate the things that I had to do manually (like apply damage and such) whereas FGU just does most of that automatically without needing anything else. Just figuring out how to get Foundry to a similar level to FGU is a challenge with some modules current, some not. They only have discord which is nice for real-time but a real pain for historical information (compared to a forum, for instance).

In the end, despite having everything we needed on Foundry the general consensus was run Agents of Edgewatch (our current campaign) on FGU.

Thread Information