STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

New to this: Character Generation?

I think I'm missing something fundamental. For background I've only ever used Fantasy Grounds with the Aliens ruleset before.

I can't find how to create characters in this? I have bought the Keepers Ruleset module and activated it in a campaign. If I go to Characters in the Player section on the right I can bring up a characters window and I can click Add Item in the lower right of it which will create an empty character record with no values. And technically I can go into those boxes and edit the values, but I can't find a method to actually create a PC (or NPC). What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

I don't specifically know this ruleset; but generally you would drag and drop things like class, race, background, spells, feats etc from the relavant list entries down the right hand side and drop then into the appropriate place in the character sheet.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

There's no character wizard for walking you through it, if that's what you're looking for.

There *are* tables to help guide players through it, if the Investigator's Handbook is loaded, in the "Character Generation" category. The "1. Characteristics" table for instance results in outputting a full set of rolled characteristics to the log, one by one.

It might be easier for an unfamiliar player to create a character via https://www.dholeshouse.org/ , export a PDF, and copy those stats in. That supports both rolled stats and point buy, automatically calculates such things as occupation points, enforces skill limits, handles age-based changes, etc. Unfortunately, while that tool can export an XML containing metadata, FGU doesn't understand the schema used and I'm not aware of anything that'll convert it into something that FGU can just import... so you're looking at manual entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarly Dude View Post
    There's no character wizard for walking you through it, if that's what you're looking for.

There *are* tables to help guide players through it, if the Investigator's Handbook is loaded, in the "Character Generation" category. The "1. Characteristics" table for instance results in outputting a full set of rolled characteristics to the log, one by one.

It might be easier for an unfamiliar player to create a character via https://www.dholeshouse.org/ , export a PDF, and copy those stats in. That supports both rolled stats and point buy, automatically calculates such things as occupation points, enforces skill limits, handles age-based changes, etc. Unfortunately, while that tool can export an XML containing metadata, FGU doesn't understand the schema used and I'm not aware of anything that'll convert it into something that FGU can just import... so you're looking at manual entry.
    Thanks. Yes, I was expecting some sort of character wizard like with the Aliens ruleset. I'm kind of very surprised it doesn't have one. I figured that was kind of honestly basic expectation. I might return this as I've only just bought this.

Thanks for clearing this up, though.

CoC7e is one of the older systems and is a bit behind on the new features that have been included in recent ruleset releases.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Quote Originally Posted by om View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I was expecting some sort of character wizard like with the Aliens ruleset. I'm kind of very surprised it doesn't have one. I figured that was kind of honestly basic expectation. I might return this as I've only just bought this.
    As has been mentioned - this ruleset doesn't have a character wizard. Only a handful do. Primarily Fantasy Grounds is a Virtual Table Top that allows you to play various RPG systems with your friends online. First and foremost it is not a character creation application. Coding such functionality can take a large number of hours, hours which for most ruleset developers just aren't available. If you're looking for a VTT to play Call of Cthulhu online with your friends, then Fantasy Grounds is a great option. If you're looking for a CoC character creator, then that's not what FG is designed for.

Having said that, CoC character creation isn't that involved and characters can be created/entered in Fantasy Grounds pretty easily - see this video for an overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhF1pUhy5n0
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks both. This isn't really what I was looking for. I was expecting more of an actual implementation of the rules. I ran into further problems when it wouldn't let me set certain skills as Occupation skills (specifically two Science skills I'd dragged on there and Electronics which should be already as I dragged on Hacker for Occupation). Consequently I can't see how I can add the Occupation points to the appropriate column.

Appreciate all the replies. I'm going to return this one.

Quote Originally Posted by om View Post
    Thanks both. This isn't really what I was looking for. I was expecting more of an actual implementation of the rules. I ran into further problems when it wouldn't let me set certain skills as Occupation skills (specifically two Science skills I'd dragged on there and Electronics which should be already as I dragged on Hacker for Occupation). Consequently I can't see how I can add the Occupation points to the appropriate column.

Appreciate all the replies. I'm going to return this one.
    I'd recommend you ask questions in the forums if you're needing specific guidance with using the ruleset. The ruleset is a good implementation of the CoC 7e rules. If your ultimate goal is to play CoC7e on a VTT then using FGU is still a very good way to do it. Each to their own, but just because it isn't the same as another ruleset I was more familiar with wouldn't stop me spending a bit of time to learn the different ruleset if I wanted to play CoC7e.

In this example, drag the "Hacker" occupation to the "Personal" tab and the Hacker window will open - showing what skills are occupation skills (Electronics is there) and allowing you to select more one interpersonal skill and two other skills:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Damian covers adding occupations and selecting skills at approx. 3:40 in the video I linked above. Here's a link directly to that part of the video: https://youtu.be/AhF1pUhy5n0?t=221

Thread Information