DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Making Dymanic Items

Hello All,

I'm being stupid again, and I'm 1/4 of the way through doing the DF Treasure items. Anyone that's rolled up those knows it can involve a lot of back and forth depending on embellishments, enchantments, curses etc.

First I've done it with tables (in the FGU interface). It rolls a base type base table.png

Then it goes about rolling off the appropriate sub table for the items. If I put the output in chat, I can follow roughly (because of the general flow) all the add-ons that may be present, but if I use the tables to output to a parcel, it's really hard to figure out all the modifiers. result bast table.png

Is there a better way to do this (xml tables?). And can I add items/qualities/etc to a base item and all the modifiers so it is listed in an items notes or calculated directly?

I'm not sure this makes a lot of sense. I haven't done the entire list of items (only up to household items so far ). I could post the 'campaign' or the db or something if anyone wants to take a look or if you have any suggestsions. Not even sure how viable this is, but I'm bored and need something to do this week

Thanks!
    Fezzik
    Anybody want a peanut!

I don't know the GURPS ruleset and what it can do; but I'd either output to a story entry or use a Story Template.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Zacc, are there tables like this in other systems? That use a base item, then add stuff to them off a table (either the normal ones or off an xml extension etc)?
    Anybody want a peanut!

Not in any ruleset I'm familiar with. You need to create the item. But you can randomly select what can be added using tables.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

base table to story.png
    I like the ease of reading this a bit better (except everything is backwards... the item is at the bottom, all the embellishments on top, but I believe that's because of the way the rolling stack works -- which messed up my attempts at creating automatic critical tables )

I notice it still does all the rolls in chat, but I guess that can't be helped? (unless you turn of GM roll I guess the PC's will know roughly what's coming )

(edit) I noticed with that, it didn't print out the carats for each gem (it did in chat though). Currently all the tables are set to parcel except the first roll which is set to story, but most of the things are done to the story node, except the rolls that give strict numbers; maybe it just ignores those?

base table to story (chat log).png
    Last edited by Fezzik Buttercup; December 27th, 2022 at 19:24.
    Anybody want a peanut!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Not in any ruleset I'm familiar with. You need to create the item. But you can randomly select what can be added using tables.
    So if I have, in the case of the Strigil in post #5, I could add the modifiers to it (beads, painting etc), and possibly add cost, descriptions etc?
    (I'd still have to add jewels separately I guess)

I'm still hoping one day SJG will get off the fence about VTT's and actually support them
    Anybody want a peanut!

If you want a number of a specific item you'd need to tell FG that. So if you want 1d3 gems then create a gems table with each gem listed with [1d3] gemname. Like this
    Attached Images Attached Images

:facepalm:

I was trying to move a column from the end to the first in the db.xml...

Had it open in notepad++ in case FGU screwed it up in loading... well it did... and then I clicked 'yes' to "it's been changed in another program, do you want to reload it" without thinking.

So, db.xml was wiped out by two goofs - FGU and Me

time to look see if I can do it by xml's -- maybe I can just add all the stuff dynamically to the items without using the FGU tables.

Thanks anyway Zacc
    Anybody want a peanut!

Ooooo... db sessions for the win (ish) I guess I can keep messing about
    Anybody want a peanut!

I started doing the DF treasure tables and soon realised it was going to be a mammoth undertaking, then immediately lost interest. :P As cool as it would be to have that in FG, in practice it's easier to just roll off the books when needed.

I actually think this would be a lot easier to do via LUA code as an extension rather than trying to implement via the standard tables.... Maybe one day I will have a crack at it.
    Timezone: Australian EST (GMT +10).
    Systems/Rulesets: GURPS 4th Edition.
    Campaigns (Ultimate License Holder)
    GURPS Traveller - The Empty Peace
    GURPS Shadowrun - Power Plays
    GURPS Banestorm - Dark Clouds Rising

Thread Information