DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Making ruleset on top of corerpg question

Hi all, I've been wondering if there are any documentation on corerpg for layering on top of it (like 5E combat manager calling to corerpg manager to set custom round starts and so on) or is it more of a dive into it and have fun looking through all the codes?

Welcome to FG.

This is a good place to start https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...eveloper+Guide
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the reply! tough I've gone through the dev guide before and while its good for overall familiarization it does not have much on the things that can be taken from CoreRPG, I understand if there's no docs of functions that can be used (like string manager ones) and what can be inherited (like combat manager) just figured I would ask if there is a written reference of corerpg functions before having a deep dive.

Blog Entries
    Hi Sancudo

Building on top of CoreRPG is the correct way to go. That allows you to inherit so many things liek tables, party sheet, combat tracker, image handling and line of sight etc.

There is no doco on how to build a ruleset. In lieu of that the CoreRPG ruleset along with 3.5E, 4E and 5E are all unlocked and you can explore them and reuse or adapt code from them.

Another alternative is to look at the Ruleset Wizard - it is a 3rd party commercial tool. I do all my ruleset development in the Ruleset Wizard now. For me, for building out a ruleset (as opposed to an extension of an existing ruleset) it is a huge time saver and makes the process much easier. Of the 12 rulesets in my signature I made 11 of them in the Ruleset Wizard. That might give you some clue as to how much it has improved my output...

Yep, I'm trying ruleset wizard.
    There is something I do not understand. If I define for example an icon, I find the declaration in base.xml.
    How can I clean code from base.xml, moving declarations to the xml I want?
    Last edited by Xarxus; December 26th, 2022 at 16:32.
    FGU ULTIMATE License
    Click here for RPG Music or here for Dwarves songs on Spotify

Blog Entries
    Dont.
    You just have to accept that it has some predefined locations for some things.

If you really want to you can redefine it in say graphics\graphics_icons.xml but it will still be in base.xml

I've seen that you can compile to a folder rather than a compressed file (pak). This means that you can then do some cleaning by hand before the final release.
    I could create some auto scripts to use in Microsoft Code...
    FGU ULTIMATE License
    Click here for RPG Music or here for Dwarves songs on Spotify

Blog Entries
    Yes you could. But you would have to remember the additional step every single time you compile.
    Technically you could write the entire ruleset inside one single file. There isnt anything wrong with the RW way other than strings and graphics would normally be in other files.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancudo View Post
    Thanks for the reply! tough I've gone through the dev guide before and while its good for overall familiarization it does not have much on the things that can be taken from CoreRPG, I understand if there's no docs of functions that can be used (like string manager ones) and what can be inherited (like combat manager) just figured I would ask if there is a written reference of corerpg functions before having a deep dive.
    Unfortunately there is no real documentation on the CoreRPG code. Some of the code is commented and that helps but your best bet is to call the function from your ruleset and log all the values and see what happens. At least thats what worked for me. A lot of it is fairly straight forward but not all of it.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Yeah I've been tinkering with the ruleset wizard and it does look pretty cool and looking forward to see how it evolves in development.
    Guess i'll have to make my own simple notes of the available functions in core with blackjack and hookers since it'll be a pain to open the file where I think some function I need was or whatever.
    thanks for all the answers!

Thread Information